Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
yes, but id be really begging that the 18z gfs is wrong. otherwise it looks like sleet. all we can hope for is the 18z is too progressive, otherwise come tomorrow morning thursday could well look different.

Yeah, it stills shows very heavy snow here for a time in the morning on Thursday for us but imo it seems to have the progression of colder air going the wrong way!

Anyway, last night everything was supposed to turn to sleet and rain but it stayed as snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!
Reckon you could be working from home tomorrow, see the Alderbury bypass is blocked. Guess Pepperbox Hill has been the challenge for you in the past couple of days. My regular route is via the A303 to Amesbury so looks like a fun run tomorrow if it's been re-opened

Thanks, but I've been working at home :o Might venture out tomorrow.

Kate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Thursday possible snow event looks EXTREMELY close for Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham etc... The way things stand the -5 850 is just north of Nottingham, possibly just touching Nottingham so they would have a decent chance of snow for a time early on Thursday morning, Birmingham looks borderline for snow below 100m, cher near Lickey hills will be pleased to know that over 150m around Birmingham there could be another covering. Leicestershire looks very very borderline for it, could be snow for a time before it turns to rain and sleet or it COULD stay as snow if we got lucky but it is such a borderline event all it takes is the colder air line to be moved 50 miles more South before Thursday and it could give quite a lot of snow for the West Midlands and East Midlands.

Height in the Midlands will be key during this I feel, over 150m could see prolonged snow where below 100m could just see snow for a short time then rain and sleet. Heighest points around Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham and Derby I think will do fanastic. 250m+ should get a pasting, low ground though... Very borderline. Can change for the better though :o Pleaseeeee please let it do just that!

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
Thursday possible snow event looks EXTREMELY close for Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham etc... The way things stand the -5 850 is just north of Nottingham, possibly just touching Nottingham so they would have a decent chance of snow for a time early on Thursday morning, Birmingham looks borderline for snow below 100m, cher near Lickey hills will be pleased to know that over 150m around Birmingham there could be another covering. Leicestershire looks very very borderline for it, could be snow for a time before it turns to rain and sleet or it COULD stay as snow if we got lucky but it is such a borderline event all it takes is the colder air line to be moved 50 miles more South before Thursday and it could give quite a lot of snow for the West Midlands and East Midlands.

Height in the Midlands will be key during this I feel, over 150m could see prolonged snow where below 100m could just see snow for a short time then rain and sleet. Heighest points around Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham and Derby I think will do fanastic. 250m+ should get a pasting, low ground though... Very borderline. Can change for the better though :o Pleaseeeee please let it do just that!

presumably thats going by the 18z.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
presumably thats going by the 18z.

Im sorry but i just dont buy all this possibly turning to sleet buisness, it will be snow and only snow for us midlands

Posted

Last night's snow remained untouched till midday today despite bright sunshine with temps hovering around -1; then following a heavy snow shower it suddenly and unexpectedly rose to +3-4C, starting a steady thaw which reduced the average depth to 1-2cm that a this rate will be gone omorrow morning. Where did this sudden mild outbreak come from? I thought initially it was coming up from the south, but it surely couldn't be when it was snowing hard and sticking in Dorset!

As for Thursday, that "marginal 150m" scenario sounds like yet another wretched "Telford blanketed while Shrewsbury gets sleet" event brewing- I'd rather it rains everywhere than have to see that for what seems like the 100th time since Feb'07!

Posted
250m+ should get a pasting, low ground though... Very borderline.

Altitude doesn't give me much comfort actually. This is one I'll only believe when it actually happens. I'm sure I've seen a pasting forecast 2 days ahead from this kind of set-up many times in the past (especially the early 90s?) and it's either never come off at all or it's been 3 inches max. I don't remember ever getting a "proper" i.e. to my mind 6 inches, snowfall from such a situation. Also I seem to remember it was either similar snow in Birmingham and here, or not much in both. I guess the division between cold/mild is too sharp, so if it pushes through too far it's pretty much curtains for both high and low ground...... But of course I hope everyone gets a pasting, fingers crossed. Can't let the SE have all the best snow!

Posted
Altitude doesn't give me much comfort actually. This is one I'll only believe when it actually happens. I'm sure I've seen a pasting forecast 2 days ahead from this kind of set-up many times in the past (especially the early 90s?) and it's either never come off at all or it's been 3 inches max. I don't remember ever getting a "proper" i.e. to my mind 6 inches, snowfall from such a situation. Also I seem to remember it was either similar snow in Birmingham and here, or not much in both. I guess the division between cold/mild is too sharp, so if it pushes through too far it's pretty much curtains for both high and low ground...... But of course I hope everyone gets a pasting, fingers crossed. Can't let the SE have all the best snow!

Well when I say pasting I mean 2-4 inches, that is a pasting in the Midlands, trust me! Well it is in Leicester anyway.

Posted
Well when I say pasting I mean 2-4 inches, that is a pasting in the Midlands, trust me! Well it is in Leicester anyway.

Well as long as we can go sledging here on Saturday, that's the main thing! 2-4 inches of wet snow with a thaw just wouldn't do it, but on the other hand 1-2 inches frozen over would be fine........ Maybe there's a technical "best snow for sledging" thread i should have taken this to lol.

Another point with the altitude is that it's not much use if it snows at my house but the snow runs out halfway down the sledging runs :p

But ultimately i would absolutely love a repeat of the foot of snow we got in feb 1991 (and dec 1990) when i was 11 which i looked forward to every winter after that and it never came............ There's just something awesome about snow that deep on everything, walking through it, drifts up to your waist, and it sticking around for weeks where it's been piled up. Fingers crossed!

Posted

Bit of a fraud here,10 miles south of wiltshire 4 miles east of dorset and i live in hampshire and it seems a small strip of the 3 counties getting snow showers tonight a fresh covering hope it doesnt melt

Posted
Well as long as we can go sledging here on Saturday, that's the main thing! 2-4 inches of wet snow with a thaw just wouldn't do it, but on the other hand 1-2 inches frozen over would be fine........ Maybe there's a technical "best snow for sledging" thread i should have taken this to lol.

Another point with the altitude is that it's not much use if it snows at my house but the snow runs out halfway down the sledging runs :p

But ultimately i would absolutely love a repeat of the foot of snow we got in feb 1991 (and dec 1990) when i was 11 which i looked forward to every winter after that and it never came............ There's just something awesome about snow that deep on everything, walking through it, drifts up to your waist, and it sticking around for weeks where it's been piled up. Fingers crossed!

Seconded. I just hope the cold air from the north bumps into the LP from the south at the right place-over the Mids!

Posted

the new dedicated brummie streamer straight from the channel to your door.....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

it couldn't be, right............? no it's not possible?........but........?

I will laugh if we get moderate snow out of this, after the main PPN skirting just to our NE for so many hours yesterday! :D I had no idea there was even the chance of a flake

Seconded. I just hope the cold air from the north bumps into the LP from the south at the right place-over the Mids!

Yes it would be supremely satisfying. I've never seen it happen properly (dec 1990 and feb 1991 didn't happen with that kind of setup from memory) but there's always a first time. After all, if you lived in S London/N Downs you could have wished for the ultimate Thames streamer for decades in vain, only to get super-pasted sun/mon out of nowhere lol!

But what IS good about this set-up is it looks likely to be followed by a northerly - so many times in the past we've looked forwards to a few inches from an approaching low from SW in full knowledge that a 10 degree C blowtorch from the SW is as likely to follow as night follows day......

Posted

Just started to get some light snow here. Looking at the radar, this should last for 15 mins or so before a larger clump (and heavier) moves up over the next hour or so. That clump could last an hour, maybe more. Another centimetre maybe?

Link to December 1990 & February 1991 events

Edited by millzzz

Posted
are those sno showers headong right into brum!!!!!! ??? :D:)

we have light to moderate snow here now!!!!

this was totaly out of the blue

Posted
are those sno showers headong right into brum!!!!!! ??? :D:)

Yes, on the N-W radar they are heading for Brum and one is just about there now apperantly lol. They are dying out as they head North though so only expect some light and possibly moderate showers from it, not sure it will really amount to anything, depends on how cold it is over there, might give a dusting though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
the new dedicated brummie streamer straight from the channel to your door.....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

it couldn't be, right............? no it's not possible?........but........?

I will laugh if we get moderate snow out of this, after the main PPN skirting just to our NE for so many hours yesterday! :D I had no idea there was even the chance of a flake

Hi , iv been watching this painfull slow but progress for hours now lol , its light snow hear now , it was gettin heavier but eased, however its tapping on our door and i believe with time we will see somethin , the half 10 weather said the areas south of hear will see between 2-5cm from it !!! so its hopefull for a light covering . as 4 2morrow, every 1 sounds very low about the potentual snow event, the bbc dont even mention the poss rain coming in , the only worry as far as im concerned is will it get this far up , we're sitting under very cold continent orientainted air so cant see where the gfs gets there info from , anybody feel the same as i do ??? comments welcome :)

Posted

WTF i opened my window and it was noisy like rain hitting the trees!!! but shone my torch out and could see that it was moderate soft hail!

Hi , iv been watching this painfull slow but progress for hours now lol , its light snow hear now , it was gettin heavier but eased, however its tapping on our door and i believe with time we will see somethin , the half 10 weather said the areas south of hear will see between 2-5cm from it !!! so its hopefull for a light covering . as 4 2morrow, every 1 sounds very low about the potentual snow event, the bbc dont even mention the poss rain coming in , the only worry as far as im concerned is will it get this far up , we're sitting under very cold continent orientainted air so cant see where the gfs gets there info from , anybody feel the same as i do ??? comments welcome :D

glad i only just noticed it, can see how painful the progress has been

As for the potential snow event, yes i've seen these just not really show any further than the southern counties of england; also seen them more or less skip us bit like yesterday evening. It needs to be just right, like everyone keeps saying. But maybe this will be the time....... This winter has been full of surprises so who knows........ Never thought I'd see frontal snow in october (happened about 36 hours after the main snow here and topped it up to 3 inches)

Posted

Got one eye on the radar and one on the lampost here! (put in WR9 if you have the NW radar) I've been watching this move slowly northwards towards me - it's painful - will it, won't it. Come on please give me a dusting that's all I ask!

Sky looking a bright now...

Posted

stopped now - was that the shortest wintry event ever? lol

now outside my window got the old covering of snow with random large ice pellets scattered all over it

Just started to get some light snow here. Looking at the radar, this should last for 15 mins or so before a larger clump (and heavier) moves up over the next hour or so. That clump could last an hour, maybe more. Another centimetre maybe?

Link to December 1990 & February 1991 events

thanks for the links - awesome

Posted
stopped now - was that the shortest wintry event ever? lol

now outside my window got the old covering of snow with random large ice pellets scattered all over it

moderate snow as i speak ,

we could get a supprise looking at the rader , happy days!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

It's arrived! It's coming down quite fast - wetish snow but sticking. Hopefully bigger flakes yet to come...

Posted

happy days indeed!!! light/moderate snow here, large flakes, visibility right down.

i missed it starting because i was enjoying looking at the old dec 1990/feb 1991 thread, great memories