Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Long Can You Make Your Snowman Last ?

stewfox

Posted

Built mine last night having finally got enough snow. To make sure they had a chance of lasting I put them in the far corner of our garden to make sure the sun didn't get to them. Having said that its been around 5 oc today which hasn't helped them at all. The head has fallen off my larger snowman with its body resting against the smaller snowman. I really hope they last until Sunday but I feel that might be pushing it.

n652453464_2110659_4816.jpg

Posted

My little adopted family in the park in Basingstoke has been melting away fast today (despite a few kids giving some attention to Grandad to try and keep him at his original height). Realistically I don't think they'll last the weekend now :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Ours was only built yesterday but one built on Monday the 2nd across the road is still going strong and is very icy but still 3-4 feet tall . It was joined by two others after yesterdays snowfall but I can see it outlasting them. :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Still patchy snow on the Cotswold Hills, but down here in Cheltenham my brothers' igloo is perishing rapidly (I don't think there is much left - just a lump of snow last time I looked).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

My snowman (inspired by thumbman) was born on the 2nd, he's still hanging on in there. Lost his facial features but still has a scarf.

Posted

Made a large snowball last april it lasted 8 days. :)

Didn`t need to make any now not as I normally do anyway,as the snowman would`ve melted before the snowdrifts. :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Still snow on the roads and pavements here; 10cm in the back garden although it's getting patchy in places.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Next door smashed there snowman up. Considering it's the first ever they played out in snow you'd would have thought they'd have left it stand. Against that they smash there house up anyway so why am I surprised.

Posted

Have called my Snowman "Benjamin" after the character in the film where the hero ages backwards.

Managed to build him up to about 5 feet with a major weight problem

Up till now he's been OK, but today the snow is definitely on the retreat.

He shrunk a bit today and is looking a lot leaner - but I fear the prognosis...

Posted

My snowman was born on the 2nd feb like may others but alas, he is just a 2 foot blob of ice but he isnt really melting that fast really!

Posted

Got asked today by someone (obviously not from the North West) how my daughter coped with the snow melting.

Was she really upset when her snowman started to deteriorate?

Answer: No, we didn't even build a snowman - had an hours play in a blizzard before retiring to a pub to watch the snow accumulate.

Levels never built up. Next day cover was completely gone due to rain. Numerous show showers and longer periods of snow in the next week failed to produce a lasting covering at all.

So, Mr/Mrs 10 days of 12" (not aimed at anyone!) this winter has been no better than any this decade for decent snow accumulation. In fact it has been worse than some. Roll le spring at least I can promise warm sunshine at some point

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted

Well mine is still here, kind of. It has lost its head but still a 3 foot high piece of snow/ice. It is forecast to be 8 oC tomorrow so he might be gone by this time tomorrow.

Posted

How long can my snowdrifts last,now the milder air has come in 6.3c yesterday,no frosts for the last 2 nights,6.6c now and a breezy mild SW wind and bright,can`t see them lasting until the next cold spell although the models look better today for a NW-ly.

Took this 90 minutes ago.

All lying snow has thawed just now was a little left, apart from the snowdrifts and snow which has slided off the roof.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

My snowman is still alive.. Well in a way.. His head has completely shrunk but there is still 5 feet tall of snow on the grass lol. He is melting quite fast now though :p I'm going to see how long the snow will stay until it has all completely melted. It melted off the grass about 3 days ago but the bottom part of the snowman is still wide so it might take another 4-5 days before every last bit of it is gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

my snowman is still alive but the head has really shrunk today but stil standing nonetheless :p

Posted

Mine is just about still alive (if you can class a small heap of snow a snowman). My smaller one has now gone completely. I think that by tonight it will have gone as it is around 11 oC outside!!! 5 days isn't bad considering they were built on the last day of this cold snap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Mine is just a tiny pile of snow on the grass now, he lasted exactly 2 weeks though! Me and my mum built him on the 3rd of Feb and he has lasted till now. He must be one of the last snowmen to melt, the other snow on the grass melted about 6 days ago but he has stood firm since now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mine is now about 1 foot square and about 2 inches high of thawing frozen snow. Will not last long I fear if the current warmth continues. 12.9C max today was the warmest since mid November.

The body of the one across the road is still round but only about 1 foot high now but being nearly solid ice [born 2/2/09] perhaps has a little longer to live. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I haven't got, and never had, a snowman but I've still got plenty of snowdrifts lying under the walls despite about 80 hours of temperatures above 4c.

Posted

The snowman, which as never that big anyway waved its last goodbye yesterday afternoon. Its head had fallen off at the weekend. There are a few bits and pieces of snow left next to walls and the remains of a giant snowball are still stationed in the field next door, the largest of three giants that only appeared last week in the night and have now been slurried over by the farmer.

Posted

Snowman here born 06/02/09 down to about 6" high prob gone by the morning.

Some patchy snow in shaded area of fields near Highworth also can see some drifts on hills above Junction 15 M4 and at Hackpen hill on way to Marlborough.

Alll that will be left to watch soon are the big piles left in the ASDA car park and in the shade of the dog track at Blunsdon.

Well if they can have their snow patch monitoring in Scotland why can't we have our version down here.

Posted

Most of the snowmen round here finally died today, leaving a widespread legacy of carrots of milk bottle tops. I still however have a diminishing 2ft pile of snow in my front garden that is just grey and dirty now when I thought best a week last Sunday to dig myself out and have a serious attempt to get to work the following Monday. I will be very impressed if that can last until the end of the week. Most of the fields were still 100% snow covered on Saturday, but the thaw since then has been substantial.