Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Oh no, the radar shows the ppn to be turning to rain up north. This is not a good sign!

Posted

Well it was pouring with rain all day yesteday and even when i went to bed at 1am last night, woke up this morning to 2" of snow, driving over the Slug Road to Banchory there was 6" of snow, that was at 830am. The snow hasn't stopped and its now 11am. The sky is grey and looks like it will snow all day, here's hoping so!!!

Posted

We're getting the snow equivalent of the constant light rain from yesterday. It's settling but is a bit wet so turns to slush rather easily. Once the northerly kicks in the temps will drop and this will change tho'.

Some of the stuff further north on the radar that is down as rain/sleet, is in fact snow (a friend has reported in from up towards Elgin).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
Well it was pouring with rain all day yesteday and even when i went to bed at 1am last night, woke up this morning to 2" of snow, driving over the Slug Road to Banchory there was 6" of snow, that was at 830am. The snow hasn't stopped and its now 11am. The sky is grey and looks like it will snow all day, here's hoping so!!!

Good for you mate :D

Usual contradictory stuff happening at the same time. Head across to the "interior" where one might expect conditions to be worse, and Aviemore is reporting 3c and rain. Go figure ! Seems like whatever is heading south is the usual typically inconsistent incoherent heterogeneous air mass...certainly far from being a big wodge of snow...localised "pot luck" later on perhaps, with the possibility of rain or sleet or snow or just nothing at all. :D

Edited by by-tor

Posted

That's funny, 'cos on xcweather it is reported as 0 and heavy snow in Aviemore... same at the meto.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/...st_weather.html

Traffic cams from near that location show snow.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
We're getting the snow equivalent of the constant light rain from yesterday. It's settling but is a bit wet so turns to slush rather easily. Once the northerly kicks in the temps will drop and this will change tho'.

Some of the stuff further north on the radar that is down as rain/sleet, is in fact snow (a friend has reported in from up towards Elgin).

That's good news then LP :D . Any idea when the northerly is set to arrive? As far as I was aware it was already at mainland Scotland.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

hello i see the met office has put out a weather warning for Thursday for the strathclyde area lets hope for lots of drifting snow was cold going out this morning way below freezing so definitely no mild air around to spoil things i really think this potential snow event could be greater than Mondays

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
That's funny, 'cos on xcweather it is reported as 0 and heavy snow in Aviemore... same at the meto.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/...st_weather.html

Traffic cams from near that location show snow.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx

Thanks for that LadyPakal. Your information is much better and more reliable. Looks like I should chuck this URL in the bin !

http://www.wunderground.com/global/UK.html

Posted

It is still raining here as well. Don't know if we are going to get any snow today or not.

Posted

Patience! The cold air is moving down and undercutting the front - slowly. It'll get it's act together this afternoon when winds pick up from the north...

Interesting chart from the 06z GFS showing precipitation and upper air temps at 3am. As ever, with temps below -5ºC, the more wintry the precipitation. City centres could even be interesting:

post-1217-1233747807_thumb.png

And the maximum temperatures (not minimums as I would usually post - trying to be realistic and worse-case-scenario here!) at the same time:

post-1217-1233747834_thumb.png

:rolleyes:

Guest Shetland Coastie

Sleet and wet snow up here. The local forecast makes excellent reading. This from Northisles Weather:

WEDNESDAY 4th: A cloudy morning with outbreaks of rain or sleet, this becoming heavier and tending to turn more to snow as F3 NE'ly winds quickly increase F6-7. A covering of wet snow is likely in places, even at lower levels. Brighter conditions will follow into Shetland during the afternoon and Orkney by the evening. With further scattered wintry showers, snow-cover is likely to become more extensive, resulting in slippy conditions on untreated surfaces. A widespread frost is likely overnight, with an air frost away from windward coasts, and as strong NE'ly winds moderate.

Sea state – Moderate or rough with a 2 to 3 metre NE'ly swell.

THURSDAY 5th: A bright day with snow showers, these possibly heavy at times. As N'ly winds increase F5-7, this will bring the risk of lying snow drifting, and the risk of blizzard-like conditions in Shetland, as here winds perhaps touch gale F8 at times.

Sea state – Rough with a 3 metre N'ly swell.

FRIDAY 6th: Feeling bitterly cold. Further snow showers, with lying snow drifting in the strong N'ly winds.

Sea state – Rough with a 3 to 4 metre N'ly swell.

SATURDAY 7th: Cold with further snow showers - possibly prolonged and heavy - with drifting in the strong N to NW'ly wind.

SUNDAY 8th: Cold and bright, with the chance of further snow adding to that already lying. With N'ly winds tending to ease, overnight frosts are likely.

MONDAY 9th - WEDNESDAY 11th: Cold with N or NW'ly winds and the risk of sleet or snow. Overnight frosts.

I like it. A lot.

Posted

Looking on xcweather (wind map this time), the north winds have reached the northern coasts, but the midland valley area still has westerlies. In between is a kind of no mans land with not enough wind to be specific about direction - I think it is probably on the change but being very slow about it. The ppt front is very slow moving - almost at Dundee now but the looks of the radar.

I like it. A lot.

Me too! Nice fresh northerlies are excellent - snow showers with bright sunshine between in the bitter winds are excellent.

Posted
hello i see the met office has put out a weather warning for Thursday for the strathclyde area lets hope for lots of drifting snow was cold going out this morning way below freezing so definitely no mild air around to spoil things i really think this potential snow event could be greater than Mondays

Hi g-g defnetly more potential because Monday's was really a bonus we weren't supposed to really get any! Tonight is one to watch as well as the front from the north looks like it is moving very slowly and looks as if it could be growing in area which is only good as it gives our area a chance to cool right down before cloud cover forms and there is a realisitc chance of rather prolonged precipitation. It's still below freezing in many areas around Glasgow and the west too. Now GFS shows the snow arriving here around 1800 as you can see in the shot, however I think it will be a bit later than this and I see the snow properly taking hold toward 9pm.

post-6339-1233748496_thumb.jpg

Now if we look at the chart below it is clear to see that there is a big low pressure system heading right down towards Central Scotland. This will add to the longevity and the intensity of the showers in my opinion.

post-6339-1233748582_thumb.jpg

Now if this system meets with the one arriving from the south then along with the biting Northerly winds we could see something rather impressive. Though, it is by no means certain either way at the moment. :ph34r:

Posted

I agree WX - the GFS in paricular has upgraded, since yesterday evening, the intensity and longevity of the precipitation over night - and with upper temps of -7ºC and surface at or below freezing in the central lowlands - it's all to play for :clap:

A couple of charts from the NMM High Resolution model - again for 3am:

Dew point (below freezing even at the coast in the central belt)

post-1217-1233749284_thumb.png

And snow risk/precipitation and snow level - widely down to zero metres asl :ph34r:

post-1217-1233749301_thumb.png

Posted

That was my understanding as well WX...I noticed on an earlier Sky weather bulletin that the lp coming up looked to meet our northerly system slap bang over us, and now, given that it seems to be building as it slowly moves down the country, when those two meet, it's going to be interesting....

Would still like to see the meto put their heads over the parapet and call it :ph34r:

Posted
I agree WX - the GFS in paricular has upgraded, since yesterday evening, the intensity and longevity of the precipitation over night - and with upper temps of -7ºC and surface at or below freezing in the central lowlands - it's all to play for :cold:

A couple of charts from the NMM High Resolution model - again for 3am:

Dew point (below freezing even at the coast in the central belt)

post-1217-1233749284_thumb.png

And snow risk/precipitation and snow level - widely down to zero metres asl :clap:

post-1217-1233749301_thumb.png

Definetly good signs! There is only one way to sum this up:

Mon then! :ph34r: