Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorkshire

Posted
what chance has the east midlands got of getting some snow from the band heading north wednesday night into thursday ? :)

People on here who look at the charts will know better, but the forcast on BBC just now looked asthough E mids have a good chance of snow, although still some uncertainty. Better chance if your far away from the coast, and high up!

A bit of fresh snow has fallen here in Derby overnight. Unexpected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

There was a slight flurry up here at about 8.a.m,although it seems to have stopped for now. The sky does have that rather tempting 'Im full of snow clouds' look to it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Looks like another in the utterly interminable string of snow events in this neck of the woods trashed by North Sea SSTs - I suspect rain up to 15 miles from the coast. This must be the sixth or seventh snow event in the past four or five years where SSTs have meant that areas with coastal influence don't get snow. It's getting to be the default condition for east coast snow events and it's getting pretty tiresome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

DOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH!!! I just checked out the forcast for my area (NG5 Nottingham) and it has been SEVERELY downgraded to a bit of flurries, and mainly SLEET! I thought we would be more in the firing line than that!! :) It looked so good for Notts/Derby for that past few days, and now its just poo! I hope we get upgraded again.... I even checked UKMO, Metcheck, and in desperation the BBC website, although they seemed to have this all a bit further north and Notts is in the snow. Checking the BBC website is just a desperate token gesture on my end though. I really hope we get snow Thurs/Fri!! PLLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEE!!! Surely the weather gods must hear my lament!!! :)

Posted
Looks like lots of rain for my area tomorrow morning :(:(:(

I think the metoffice and the BBC has somewhat "Cocked" up on this. I have been looking at the GFS and ECM.. Dew points 850's etc look fantastic for yorkshire, etc at around 9-10 am tomorrow. Its further south where theres an immediate warm sector. So how i can see the south getting "heavy snow" is beyond me. The other night was marginal to say the least and even at marginal it still rained. Down south too me it looks "not marginal" but a ded cert of rain..

BBC and UKMO 24-28 hour forecasts and picture forcasts for regions do not back up there text forecasts. GFS and ECM does not = an output of metoffices warnings and forecasts.

To sum it up... Metoffice dont have a clue, there weather warnings should be much further north...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I think you're on the right track there Hurricane Andrew.

Did anyone else just watch John Hammond's forecast on News24 ?

He showed that main snow band for tomorrow reaching as far North

as Newcastle now !

It looked snowy right to the coast .. but i know I may be living with

false hopes there, lol

BL :D

Posted

looks like further north you are, the better for the risk of it falling as snow with the risk of the heavier stuff moving north now. looking good this people :D , whos still got their covering? its melted in places but still alot of snow around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

We have just as much laying as we did yesterday! there has been a slight melt in todays sunshine, but it's not really impacted on the stuff thats on the ground. I do hope for a little more over the next few days :rolleyes: we are quite high up here so we cop for it a bit worse than the rest of Sheffield

Posted
looks like further north you are, the better for the risk of it falling as snow with the risk of the heavier stuff moving north now. looking good this people :ph34r: , whos still got their covering? its melted in places but still alot of snow around.

The weather warnings look better for us but i'll be surprised if i see anything tomorrow tbh

Posted

post-1104-1233749634_thumb.jpg

This is how much snow weve got left now!!!!

we could do best out of this compared to places further south with the coldest air so close. As again the band risk will still extend slightly north on each chart!

Posted
I think you're on the right track there Hurricane Andrew.

Did anyone else just watch John Hammond's forecast on News24 ?

He showed that main snow band for tomorrow reaching as far North

as Newcastle now !

It looked snowy right to the coast .. but i know I may be living with

false hopes there, lol

BL :cray:

Yes, I saw this - it showed snow from 6am to 1pm - a period of 7 hours of snow however I have also read on here that it is best to listen to what they say and not what they show.

It's good that HurricaneAndrew is feeling more positive about the upcoming weather 'cos he was a right royal pain in the I have a problem the other day - even though he was right for about the weather. :mellow:

Sometimes, you just can't win when you are the bearer of bad news!!

gobby :lol:

Posted
I think the metoffice and the BBC has somewhat "Cocked" up on this. I have been looking at the GFS and ECM.. Dew points 850's etc look fantastic for yorkshire, etc at around 9-10 am tomorrow. Its further south where theres an immediate warm sector. So how i can see the south getting "heavy snow" is beyond me.

Raw data moderated by forecaster experience wins over raw model data every time for me.

Yes, based on the ECM and GFS raw data output, the whole shooting match could easily be shunted 40 miles north, however we all know how quickly that can change.

I think these debates demonstrate the difficulty in making any kind of judgement on the basis of the present info. Nowcasting...I suspect.

Posted

GOOD NEWS, SNOW FROM 8am TILL 2PM FOR YORKSHIRE, STALLS OVER US AND THIS IS BBC WOOOOOOOO! lets hope models fall into play now

Posted
oh by the way southyorkshire is looking very good on this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/327

Hi Max, yes I think us south yorks folk will be singing from the rooftops this time tommorow!

Posted

I think Nottingham will do quite well out of this- all of the computer generated forecasts based on GFS say sleet but the BBC is specifically mentioning Birmingham through to Nottingham as being badly effected in the rush hour- I am unsure about amounts-- prob 5cm or so in urban areas and a whole heap more in hillier rural areas- what I am unclear about is what will happen during Thursday afternoon/ evening/ night-- will there be a big thaw as rain/sleet/ snow moves through!?7

On Monday the GFS was progging sleet on its metcheck forecasts for Nottingham for the Monday afternoon forecast and we got plenty of snow through to 9pm when it fizzled out- I think it automatically looks at where the -5 line is and concluded not snow although I may be wrong with this!??

I would have thought at this stage you ahve to trust what the forecasts show on TV alhtough there could be another correction North or Southwards at very short notice although there is very little sign of the latter in the last 24 hours!

Posted
Hi Max, yes I think us south yorks folk will be singing from the rooftops this time tommorow!

its actualy craig :) , we will do soo well now, because bbc have changed it, i forecasted it to change like this, was up till 4am making a prediction :) , snow cover here is still 2-3cm with snow patches, more thawing today but my god, amaing base covering for tomorrow!

Posted
its actualy craig :) , we will do soo well now, because bbc have changed it, i forecasted it to change like this, was up till 4am making a prediction :) , snow cover here is still 2-3cm with snow patches, more thawing today but my god, amaing base covering for tomorrow!

Max :):)

Yes, mr paul hudson says only turning to rain right on the coast.

Posted

12z GFS is underwhelming with most of our area, far NW excepted being progged for sleet or rain - I wouldn't place much store in the GFS runs from this point forward - nowcasting tomorrow morning will be the name of the game I think.

Posted
12z GFS is underwhelming with most of our area, far NW excepted being progged for sleet or rain - I wouldn't place much store in the GFS runs from this point forward - nowcasting tomorrow morning will be the name of the game I think.

yep yep, bbc latest forecast for us still looks promissing, now casting deffo the wave to go

Posted

The GFS was saying sleet for the snow event the other day, infact it stayed as snow all the way through with a little drizzle towards the end. We shall just have to wait and see