Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Mids, Lincs And S & E Yorkshire

Posted

Wow what a forecast for my location from Look E.

Mentioned the chance the snow could remain in Peterborough area from tomorrow morning right up until Friday as the band of precip moves back SE.

However I remain uncertain due to the disagreement with the UKMO/GFS although the UKMO 12Z does indicate temps no higher than 1C for my location.

Seems the general theme for tomorrow morning is snow N of London but this turning to rain for many except possibly N Cambs. However Suffolk/Essex is only likely to see rain.

I will say that anyone to my W or NW stands an even better chance whereas those to the S/E/SW of N Cambs is more likely to see the snow turn back to rain.

Posted

Look East forecast

lookeastsy0.th.jpg

Very good for Northants and Peterborough if this comes off.

Julie did keep say 'possibly' a lot so the uncertainty was still very much apparent. That chart applies to 6am/7am according to Julie.

Posted
Look East forecast

lookeastsy0.th.jpg

Julie did keep say 'possibly' a lot so the uncertainty was still very much apparent. That chart applies to 6am/7am according to Julie.

I could live with that. Still clear and just dipping below freezing here. A nice halo around the moon though

Posted

Paul Hudsons forecast was not good for E Yorks, Lincs.

Maybe snow initially, mainly to the South, rain on the coast and most of it to turn back to rain, except highest ground on the Wolds.

Second time in a few days that E Yorks gets the rain! Is there a theme developing?

Still snow cover here though, currently -2.3c.

Posted
For peeps in yorkshire and lincs.... (Paul Hudson)

post-4342-1233775188_thumb.jpg

and

post-4342-1233775202_thumb.jpg

Looks fine for scunny and looks like hull will get a pasting!

Some forecasts are saying rain/sleet and that above chart is showing snow :(

whats going on :huh:

Posted
Bbc and meto going well against gfs. I keep looking at gfs and thinking game over but the metoffice seem convinced my area will be worse effected. It was the first forecast to be updated on there website and the east midlands is the only headline that says sigficant snow. ! The metoffice are much better at localized events than gfs so i'm going with them.

The other big difference between the meto and gfs is they think ppn will die out during friday where gfs still has heavy ppn over us on saturday.

BBC Radio Leicester are ramping this between every single song.

Anyway for now Let it snow let it snow let it snow

p.s. School Closeures for tomorrow are already being anounced before the event has started . That is unusual for our area.

I have had Radio Leicester on a lot today. Have not heard of any school closures for Thursday? The website does not mention any either??

ill be a tough call for heads who are under pressure over closing too easily!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Damn another day that mother is House bound coming up.

Roads again will be a disaster in Sheffield as they haven't bothered clearing many roads from last time. Too be honest I don't think they have the staff, equipment or gritting stock too do much.

Posted
I have had Radio Leicester on a lot today. Have not heard of any school closures for Thursday? The website does not mention any either??

ill be a tough call for heads who are under pressure over closing too easily!

Sorry I meant I new of 2 closures in narborough and 1 in blaby. bbc are saying basicly will start off as snow and turn to rain during the afternoon away from high ground. I do get a sense there trying to cover all angles. Really is a wait and see for us, think we might get a few snow showers before the main band later in the night, the band that formed over wales is now starting to track east. Lamp post watching time soon :D

Posted
Damn another day that mother is House bound coming up.

Roads again will be a disaster in Sheffield as they haven't bothered clearing many roads from last time. Too be honest I don't think they have the staff, equipment or gritting stock too do much.

Quite right. It wouldn't surprise me if they just didn't have any grit left as they are only doing the city centre.

There is still a good inch or two on my pavements with a layer of compacted ice/snow in some parts of the road with snow still deeper on my back garden etc.

I don't think we will get much from this band, perhaps 2-5cm at best but it would still be enough to cause some problems here.

Do you think 2-5cm is a good estimation PIT?

Posted

How much weakening can I expect before it reaches Sheffield.

The ppn currently looks quite heavy and will undergo frontogenesis as it moves north and approaches a steeper thermal gradient but will it have fragmented apart by the time it reaches here?

The reason I ask is that the main band of snow on Monday was not very heavy at all but still managed to produce about 5cm of snow, so could this ppn produce even more than that?

Posted
Look East forecast

lookeastsy0.th.jpg

I think the BBC are winding us up :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2835

Posted

Netweather radar is showing light and scattered snow approaching Sheffield from the south west. Can't see anything - is this that kind of snow that falls upwards ? :p

Posted

Hoping for a bit more tomorrow.

Still have 6 inches here in dore after the slightest of thawing in the sun but even snow still stuck to trees over here.

Enclosed are some pics taken this afternoon and evening in Ecclesall and up at Ringinglow.

post-1042-1233781364_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233781385_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233781398_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233781419_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233781433_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233781447_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233781474_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233781493_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233781524_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233781551_thumb.jpg

post-1042-1233781562_thumb.jpg

Posted

Great pictures there! Still quite a bit of snow on the ground here, especially on the higher up parts of the village. Hoping for a little more tomorrow, maybe up to 5cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Do you think 2-5cm is a good estimation PIT?

Ask me tomorrow morning when I can peak at the radar. We'll have a better clue then.

Netweather radar is showing light and scattered snow approaching Sheffield from the south west. Can't see anything - is this that kind of snow that falls upwards ? :doh:

I think they're false echos to be honest.

How much weakening can I expect before it reaches Sheffield.

The ppn currently looks quite heavy and will undergo frontogenesis as it moves north and approaches a steeper thermal gradient but will it have fragmented apart by the time it reaches here?

The reason I ask is that the main band of snow on Monday was not very heavy at all but still managed to produce about 5cm of snow, so could this ppn produce even more than that?

Part of it was fairly heavy but the rest light to moderate however combined with how long it fell for and the low temps only a brief rise above freezing helped the depth.

Posted
According to paul hudson there could be some snow in lincs tomorrow morning :o :)

Did you catch what he said for Sheffield at all? Convinced work that it would tip it down when they were getting differing advice from elsewhere...will look an prat if this doent come off :o

Posted
Did you catch what he said for Sheffield at all? Convinced work that it would tip it down when they were getting differing advice from elsewhere...will look an prat if this doent come off :o

heavy rain :o :o Only kidding it looks good for sheffield tomorrow.

He never said how much snow though but the graphics looked good :)

Edited by TOMB RAIDER LEGEND

Posted
heavy rain :o :o Only kidding it looks good for sheffield tomorrow.

He never said how much snow though but the graphics looked good :)

phew :o on your head be it!! :D