Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted

I, ironically again, was in Surrey last night. We had about 3 mins of snow before it turned to freezing rain and then just rain. Still the snow cover stuck.

Heard the news that snow had fallen in St Albans (I'm sure that's thanks to me not being there) and rushed back up. Got here to find it's raining and any snow is melting fast.

So here's the dilemma....Do I stay in St Albans tonight or do I go back to Surrey....where's the best prospect!??? Either way, i'll get it wrong

Posted
Hi Paul

I think it is a case as I have said before, the tracking of these lows up the spine of the country is putting the SE corner and coastal areas of the E and SE the wrong side of polar front and we are waiting for SE'ward shifts in the pattern. Things are going change, and if the ECM has its way then your turn, as well as the rest of us, will come further down the line. :D

Hi chaps and chapesses.

People now saying west London in line for another dump overnight. Is this true?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Another Added and Facinating Hazard on my drive to work was patches of Fog and Low Visibility adding to drivers woes, this being caused by Much Milder air interacting with the Snow Cover and creating a 50-100 Yard High Wall of Fog. We get this scenario when we Chase the Supercells in the Plains. After a Strong Hailstorm we see the Storm Move away and the Sun Warms the temp up to 80F again, we then see the Hail Steaming and creating a dense Hail Fog (Not Particulary Nice to Drive Into if you are Unsuspecting)

As Nick Says Cold Air taking longer so possibly expect another Grim day tomorrow in London and Surrounding with bits and pieces of Sleet and Slops. Not going to be nice with temps around 3c

Paul S

I thoroughly agree, and at night headlights will turn it into whiteout visibility — white mist, white road with the kerbs obscured by snow... Janet's pictures of that unprotected riverside in Wisbech are haunting me today. Take care everyone and don't follow other drivers' fog lights, rely on your own judgements.

Posted
I, ironically again, was in Surrey last night. We had about 3 mins of snow before it turned to freezing rain and then just rain. Still the snow cover stuck.

Heard the news that snow had fallen in St Albans (I'm sure that's thanks to me not being there) and rushed back up. Got here to find it's raining and any snow is melting fast.

So here's the dilemma....Do I stay in St Albans tonight or do I go back to Surrey....where's the best prospect!??? Either way, i'll get it wrong

I think somewhere just to the south east of northampton will be the spot tonight, so which evers closest :D metoffice warnings have northampton down for another 5-10cms WIDELY with 10-20cms in places for them. They dont often say5-10cms widely usually in places.

Posted

Had a few cms of snow in Bushey, Herts last night and on arrival at work in Hatfield it was apparent this area had a good dumping. Lots of snow on the ground even with light rain since early morning. Temp seems to be dropping here aswell and we've had an email to staff advising people to leave early due to impending bad weather.

Looks like Herts is going to hit this evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

UK regions:

60% East of England

60% South West England

60% London & South East England

60% East Midlands

Heavy Snow 0200 Fri 6 1500 Fri 6

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of southern and eastern England on Friday. Periods of snow will be heavy at times and will give accumulations of 5 to 10 cm over large areas and locally 15 to 20 cm over high ground. This is likely to cause disruption to travel.

Issued at: 1141 Thu 5 Feb

Posted

Seeing as those greedy Members in Surrey,London,Herts etc etc etc are going to get more Snow :D:) Will start a Part 9 in about 5 Minutes.

It could get busy on here tonight and Tomorrow for our Alpine Regions whereas the rest of us in the Foothills can only marvel at their Snow

At least it's only a short Car Drive over the Weekend if you want to see Some Snow.

My advise would be the Dunstable Downs near Luton, they could have some amazing depths by Saturday Morning

Paul S

Posted

Paul, we will post our pics up for you tomorrow morning. :)

Seeing as those greedy Members in Surrey,London,Herts etc etc etc are going to get more Snow :D:) Will start a Part 9 in about 5 Minutes.

It could get busy on here tonight and Tomorrow for our Alpine Regions whereas the rest of us in the Foothills can only marvel at their Snow

At least it's only a short Car Drive over the Weekend if you want to see Some Snow.

My advise would be the Dunstable Downs near Luton, they could have some amazing depths by Saturday Morning

Paul S

Edited by Hammer

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
I agree Tamara and the ECM Is looking incredible (My Fav Model) LOL

But the Meto must have put those warnings out with the Modification of the North Sea in its mind, you cant just have the heavy precip just cutting off in a straight line through W Essex, Herts and down into NE London, they must be seeing a marginality further East due to the wind coming off the North Sea ?? Or am I seeing this wrong?

Paul S

In fact if you look at the Risk Map, this looks to be the case with the Yellows all the Counties that border the Sea around from Norfolk to the IOW

Yes that might be in the thinking Paul. Tbh as I see it the set up for tonight/tomorrow is a cyclonic one around the low with variable wind direction around the SE quadrant as a whole.

Regarding the sea effect, temps are as low as 4 or 5C in the North Sea atm and so the moderating effect of the sea can't be that much.

As a good example of my thinking here - the IOW was seeing very heavy snow the other morning off the channel with a SW'erly! And the sea temps in the western channel are a few degress higher than the North Sea - and certainly adjacent to the Essex/East Anglian coast.

I think it is down to dew points being higher the 'wrong' side of the trough. It is down to the movement of that border of slightly different and very marginally crucial air masses I think rather than effects of the sea in terms of who gets snow or rain. The less favourable one's just happen to be where those coastal areas are. That is how I see it anyway :D