Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

just went outside to scrape snow off the car, and its become cloudy and freezing cold. dont know what the temperature is but it cant be more than 2c. could there be snow tonight? i wonder. let the forecasters get it wrong!

Posted

This morning in Enfield the temp was 0c then mid morning it was around 2-3c, Afternoon 6c and I will let you know what it is when I get out there in the next 15mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
just went outside to scrape snow off the car, and its become cloudy and freezing cold. dont know what the temperature is but it cant be more than 2c. could there be snow tonight? i wonder. let the forecasters get it wrong!

Its about 8c in Jersey and the milder air will come in from that

However who knows ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

if only that front hadn't come in on monday. we could have kept the cold easterly with more thames streamers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Interestingly both Manston and Langdon bay on the E Kent coast are showing temps just above and below 1c on a freshing wind drom the ESE.

Possible undercutting of cold air from the continent?

James

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

temp here continues to fall now down to 1.3c was 2.3c an hour ago :rolleyes:

Posted
Interestingly both Manston and Langdon bay on the E Kent coast are showing temps just above and below 1c on a freshing wind drom the ESE.

Possible undercutting of cold air from the continent?

James

I have 1.0C and a dewpoint of -2.1C, falling at a rate of -1.0C/hr. However, with increasing moisture, wind and temperature, it will probably get too warm for snow. Still looks promising for the time being :rolleyes:

Edit: BBC graphics show a band of drizzly very light snow spreading north across the SE between now and 9pm?

Edit again: can see a line of patchy light precip moving NE on the radar :)

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Temperature's falling away here now after a high of 2.1C. Now 1.2C and dropping away under relatively clear skies.......

Incidentally Haverhill is colder than the midlands by a good 2C ~ can only bode well for the snow tonight.

Seasons

Indeed, I'm just up the road from you and out of curiosity just checked our dewpoints and they're –2° C, 850 hPa's –4.8° C, ground temp are just tipping into 0° C — we still have snow cover. So technically, all we need's the precipitation for tonight...

I asked on the model thread whether there'd be a 'warm sector' associated with this low and how to identify them, but was ignored. :rolleyes:

Can anyone on here help out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
I have 1.0C and a dewpoint of -2.1C, falling at a rate of -1.0C/hr. However, with increasing moisture, wind and temperature, it will probably get too warm for snow. Still looks promising for the time being :rolleyes:

Edit: BBC graphics show a band of drizzly very light snow spreading north across the SE between now and 9pm?

Edit again: can see a line of patchy light precip moving NE on the radar :)

There may be hope of a flake or two then before the deluge of water hits us all

J

Posted
Indeed, I'm just up the road from you and out of curiosity just checked our dewpoints and they're –2° C, 850 hPa's –4.8° C, ground temp are just tipping into 0° C — we still have snow cover. So technically, all we need's the precipitation for tonight...

I asked on the model thread whether there'd be a 'warm sector' associated with this low and how to identify them, but was ignored. :yahoo:

Can anyone on here help out?

Yes...

here's how we go from 6pm tonight:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/wz/pics/Rmgfs062.html

to midnight...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/wz/pics/Rmgfs122.html

to 6am tomorrow:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/wz/pics/Rmgfs182.html

and to midday tomorrow:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/wz/pics/Rmgfs242.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Met Office for my location tonight :yahoo:

Too me that says temperature's below freezing til 8/9am, with 4 - 6 hours of heavy snowfall on already frozen solid ground. Air temperatures are already -0.4C, DP's at -3.3C and it's clear.

The GFS is going to have egg on it's face tomorrow morning and that's very disappointing when we're within T+12..... :yahoo:

A spell of snow for all, but for East Anglia and north of the M4 corridor I stick by my guns and say at least 4 hours of moderate - heavy snow before we see a very slow thaw (If any).

Seasons

Posted

Good evening, current temps here in east kent 1.6c dew point -3.5 and i still know it will only be rain!

Just had a look on radar and it should be snowing!

Edited by hopeitsnows

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I still have a feeling that there may be some snow here in London, before the temps fall. So could add to the laying snow??

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Interestingly, I have seen very little snow melt today after a thaw yesterday that wiped out the uniformity of the lovely snow blanket. Those low dewpoints have definitely helped :D .

However that lying snow won't be here by tomorrow. Very disappointing the rain is coming later tonight & tomorrow and this low is orientated wrong and too far north for this region. However a little snow later this evening is certainly possible for a short time - and again there are back end chances late Friday and into Saturday, so all is not totally lost by any means.

Posted

Very true!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Interestingly, I have seen very little snow melt today after a thaw yesterday that wiped out the uniformity of the lovely snow blanket. Those low dewpoints have definitely helped :) .

Us too. I went for a walk around lunchtime in bright sunshine, but it wasn't having much impact on the snow — just a superficial surface melt if that and in shaded ground, it's still 4" deep.

Met Office for my location tonight :)

Too me that says temperature's below freezing til 8/9am, with 4 - 6 hours of heavy snowfall on already frozen solid ground. Air temperatures are already -0.4C, DP's at -3.3C and it's clear.

The GFS is going to have egg on it's face tomorrow morning and that's very disappointing when we're within T+12..... :o

A spell of snow for all, but for East Anglia and north of the M4 corridor I stick by my guns and say at least 4 hours of moderate - heavy snow before we see a very slow thaw (If any).

Seasons

I have a good feeling you are right. On NW Extra radar there are little specks of precipitation dotted around and they are all definitely pink.

Posted
Us too. I went for a walk around lunchtime in bright sunshine, but it wasn't having much impact on the snow — just a superficial surface melt if that and in shaded ground, it's still 4" deep.

I have a good feeling you are right. On NW Extra radar there are little specks of precipitation dotted around and they are all definitely pink.

As we have seen many times, the precip type can often be wrong. Things do like starting as snow, so the longer it takes, maybe the better chances of the temp dropping before it's arrival, but I have to agree, it looks far better north of the M4 right now.

Posted

Very interesting forecasts both BBC/BBC local forecast and met office giving heavy snow in the early hours??

Hardly any snow melt today and ctill a few inches on paths and mostly everything including fields!

Posted

I haven't seen any snow melt today, but thats because I didn't have any left to melt! :o

Posted

Have I missed something here? Is it not supposed to rain tonight?

My current temp is 0 degress (and falling) with a dewpoint of -4 degrees. Now I must stress I am very VERY new at this but wouldn't anything falling in those temps be snow?

Also on my netweather radar all the showers coming my way are pink which is snow.

Be happy for any thoughts, as I said I'm very new to all this so probably reading it all wrong!

Thanks

Anita

Posted
Have I missed something here? Is it not supposed to rain tonight?

My current temp is 0 degress (and falling) with a dewpoint of -4 degrees. Now I must stress I am very VERY new at this but wouldn't anything falling in those temps be snow?

Also on my netweather radar all the showers coming my way are pink which is snow.

Be happy for any thoughts, as I said I'm very new to all this so probably reading it all wrong!

Thanks

Anita

It is meant to start wintry, with the ppn turning readily to sleet/rain, but fingers, toes and eyes crossed that the temps manage to drop before it arrives.

Posted

Wow what a forecast for my location from Look E.

Mentioned the chance the snow could remain in Peterborough area from tomorrow morning right up until Friday as the band of precip moves back SE.

However I remain uncertain due to the disagreement with the UKMO/GFS although the UKMO 12Z does indicate temps no higher than 1C for my location.

Seems the general theme for tomorrow morning is snow N of London but this turning to rain for many except possibly N Cambs. However Suffolk/Essex is only likely to see rain.