Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers
Well there seems to be a lot of ppn over Nantes at the moment and the wind direction suggests it's heading for London and the SE!!!! Temps around -1 at midnight.......just maybe???

Unfortunatly that is currently rain in France, the warmer air is moving North and even now percipitation over London is showing as sleet and the rain is on the South coast moving slowly North.

I have had 2 great days with the kids in the snow but am expecting 3 days of rain now and all bar the odd giant snowman all the snow to be gone by the weekend.

What the future holds though is up to mother nature.

Update, rain currently showing as falling at Gatwick.

Edited by Jayces

Well guys, the sleet looks like it's turning to snow as it moves north. Looking at the NW extra radar that is. Could be exciting indeed potentially for even more southern central areas. It's the really heavy precipitation that follows it that I'll be paying the most attention though.. Currently rain over the channel but that's expected.

Unfortunatly that is currently rain in France, the warmer air is moving North and even now percipitation over London is showing as sleet and the rain is on the South coast moving slowly North.

I have had 2 great days with the kids in the snow but am expecting 3 days of rain now and all bar the odd giant snowman all the snow to be gone by the weekend.

What the future holds though is up to mother nature.

It is raining over france, but if you've got access to the NW Extra radar, you can see that it's readily turning to sleet then later snow as it moves up northwards.. It will be very marginal for the later precipitation I should think though..

Posted

Well, I made the most of crunching in the snow this evening! Shame it will probably be washed away tomorrow :rolleyes:

On the plus side, I won't slip over in the ice/snow tomorrow morning like I did today (serves me right for laughing at those filmed on the BBC news doing the same yesterday!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Well there seems to be a lot of ppn over Nantes at the moment and the wind direction suggests it's heading for London and the SE!!!! Temps around -1 at midnight.......just maybe???

Its been snowing heavily in much of Northern France with temps just above or around 0c yeaterday and today, still snowing around Amiens with some heavy falls.

Question comes to mind, we always look out for cold pooling over Europe in Winter moving north to effect the Uk yer, but all I ever see is Snow and cold temps in N France and Low countries but uppers seem pretty ordinary. Now if lying snow and low temps dont effect potential snowfall as SM has indicated, its just the uppers that count, whats the point of the cold pooling in Northern Europe?

As we saw sunday, very cold uppers can arrive from nowhere and be gone just as quickly no matter the cold or snow in Europe.

Confused! :rolleyes:

Posted
Its been snowing heavily in much of Northern France with temps just above or around 0c yeaterday and today, still snowing around Amiens with some heavy falls.

Question comes to mind, we always look out for cold pooling over Europe in Winter moving north to effect the Uk yer, but all I ever see is Snow and cold temps in N France and Low countries but uppers seem pretty ordinary. Now if lying snow and low temps dont effect potential snowfall as SM has indicated, its just the uppers that count, whats the point of the cold pooling in Northern Europe?

As we saw sunday, very cold uppers can arrive from nowhere and be gone just as quickly no matter the cold or snow in Europe.

Confused! <_<

The snow event of 18 Nov 2007 saw uppers of just under 0C, much warmer than they are tonight. I think/hope some people may get a surprise. Dropped to 0.1C now, dewpoint -2.4C

Posted
look at http://www.meteox.com/gmap.aspx?soort=loop...lon=2.900390625.

if the track of the low and precip (south)carries on the same path, there could be at least 6 hours of heavy precip... i think this could go further east than first thought... meaning london could get hit again tonight..

i would expect that low to start trecking north now! meaning london prob wont get hit!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
The snow event of 18 Nov 2007 saw uppers of just under 0C, much warmer than they are tonight. I think/hope some people may get a surprise. Dropped to 0.1C now, dewpoint -2.4C

<_< What is the ideal dewpoint?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Confused! <_<

...............no snow in Northern France at the moment with this front I'm afraid, current temps where the heavy rain is = +7c to 11c!!!

+ regarding uppers having a factor (and everything else) remember we are an island surrounded by relatively warm water!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers
It is raining over france, but if you've got access to the NW Extra radar, you can see that it's readily turning to sleet then later snow as it moves up northwards.. It will be very marginal for the later precipitation I should think though..

I have access to the NW radar and that is what I am using currently.

When I got home around 8 hours ago percipitation around the SE was showing as snow, a couple of hours later and it was showing as sleet with snow further NW and now it's rain in the SE corner, sleet across IOW, London, South Essex and snow to the NW of that.

The rain has slowly been moving NW from te SE over the last few hours even as the evening has worn on which would mean temperatures high up must be on the rise and these higher temperatures moving NW.

I don't ant the snow to go either but I think we have to be realists here and accept the fact that it's not looking good for us at this point.

Maybe when it all heads SE again we might be in luck but I fear the worst.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
<_< What is the ideal dewpoint?

No higher than 0c.

Posted
welcome to NW mwhalber. hope you enjoy the forum. could you pop your location into your avatar please. it gives a sense of where you are when you give any weather reports. thanks <_<

cheers! all done :D I am a long-time lurker, but recent events have brought me from the shadows! :D

Posted
i would expect that low to start trecking north now! meaning london prob wont get hit!

it is trecking north.. maybe even nne.. which means london is well in line.. its not rotating as it was supposed to?!!??!

seriously look at the reds in the band.. this could be quite a nasty situation.. cold air, no sun, no travel.. some places could get a pounding from this...

Posted
...............no snow in Northern France at the moment with this front I'm afraid, current temps where the heavy rain is = +7c to 11c!!!

+ regarding uppers having a factor (and everything else) remember we are an island surrounded by relatively warm water!

:p Temps have certainly risen rapidly this evening over there than.

I know we are an Island surounded by water, obviously, never be as cold as a continental land mass but why do we look for cold pooling over the near continent in Winter though?

Posted
:p What is the ideal dewpoint?
evening Cleo

lots of infor here >> http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showforum=24

Dew Point:

The temperature at which water starts to condense out of a particular air mass.

bbc
cheers! all done :) I am a long-time lurker, but recent events have brought me from the shadows! ;)
thanks, and i see you are not too far from me up there on shooters hill. i am from plumstead. :)

Posted
it is trecking north.. maybe even nne.. which means london is well in line.. its not rotating as it was supposed to?!!??!

seriously look at the reds in the band.. this could be quite a nasty situation.. cold air, no sun, no travel.. some places could get a pounding from this...

it will quickly turn to rain washing the snow away no need to be concerned milder air is spreading up with the rain!

Posted
:p Temps have certainly risen rapidly this evening over there than.

I know we are an Island surounded by water, obviously, never be as cold as a continental land mass but why do we look for cold pooling over the near continent in Winter though?

so when we do have an easterly, we tap into the cold air as soon as poss, the colder the better!

Dewpoint is rising now, as the moisture air is pumped up from the southwest. Still well below freezing though at -2.0C

gone from -4 to -3 now on the DP. -1c temp outside here

Posted

Well yes. And?

The whole focus here has been what happens when the front meets the colder air over the UK.

Temps are significantly below that here and snow looks possible for many areas so not sure where you're coming from to be honest.

Posted

Looks to me that the northern low is deepening and both the northern and southern fronts have gone stationary...Very interesting to see how far down the cold air gets, as this, IMHO will determine what type of ppn will fall...This seems to be the million-dollar question. I love it mother nature shows her unpredictable side!!

Hope it is OK to post this FAX?

bracka.gif

Posted
Well yes. And?

The whole focus here has been what happens when the front meets the colder air over the UK.

Temps are significantly below that here and snow looks possible for many areas so not sure where you're coming from to be honest.

This was with reference to this post (.......still snowing in France): (please read properly rather than having a dig with your post! :lol: )

Confused!

Posted
so when we do have an easterly, we tap into the cold air as soon as poss, the colder the better!

gone from -4 to -3 now on the DP. -1c temp outside here

Hi stratty, I thought that too, but as we saw on Monday afternoon, same as what is about to happen this evening, when the winds start coming up from France/Belgium, milder air comes up all the time......The infamous Mild Easterly/South Easterly.

I wonder if a realy big freeze in Europe is require? Seems our cold air has to always be sourced well East for it to produce the goods for the SE.

IE, Eastern Europe/Russia, Siberia, Scandi.

Edited by snowray