Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 08-09, How Will It Rank Against Others?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Certainly from a colder/frost perspective I suppose this winter rates quite highly. As for the complete lack of snowfall in central Scotland - we have seen much more in most milder winters. Doesn't make it any easier when you feel that you are absolutely surrounded by the stuff either! Still, ever hopeful that the SW event will produce something memorable in the not too distant future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Looking at this on a purely parochial basis, this winter has certainly been more in line with a 'traditional' winter than many of those in the past 10 years or so.

February here would only have to return a mean lower than 4.2c to make this the coldest winter of the current decade and would have to come in lower than 2.7c to be colder than 1996/97 ( not difficult as the 30 year Feb' mean here is 2.4c ).

It would take a major jump into cold territory however to beat 1995/96, this would require a Feb' mean lower than -0.6c which would place it, temperature wise, close to the 1979 category; not impossible but unlikely.

Indeed locally a different story, but CET wise Feb needs to come in at 2.2c to beat 95/6....not out of the question by any means.

BFTP

Posted

Of course it's not over yet, but for the area I live in its been nothing special...certainly not in the top 10 that I've lived through. I've recorded -19 here in the past (1981) , I think -7 has been the best this winter and I had at least double the amount of snow on the ground here in 2007. This is usually a good area for dumpings of snow, people who talk about the lack of snow in 63 obviously didn't visit North Wales, we were inundated and the record snowfall for the U.K was set in 1947 about 25 miles away. On the plus side, it may be a sign that we're starting a new spell of colder and snowier winters and with a new Solar Minimum just around the corner, this could be the prelude to some really cold winters.

Pete

Posted

as for this winter I think its being a very classic winter but thats my personal opinion , we have had sub zero temps hardly if any rain lovely frosts and lying snow for days , this is what i have been telling my children what winter was all about and I for one was glad that they got to see it firsthand for the first time.For ages now we have had hardly any frosts or lying snow by that I mean lasting for more than 2 days , so yes to me and my children this has been a fantastic winter and if mother nature throws anything eles at us that would be a bonus but we are more than happy of what we have had.

sorry if I have upset anyone

cher

x

Edited by toonarmy32

Posted

If I had answered a week ago I would of said disappointed due to the lack of snow. However these past 7 days I have seen 3 snow events, total snowfall from these events being 11 inches, very good chance of seeing deep lying snow lay for more than 7 days.

So I would now say excellent because our current cold spell reminds me of what it used to be like in the 1980's. Infact Thursday snowfall gave Peterborough 8 inches in the space of 3hrs and was the deepest snowfall since Jan 1985.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This is definitely my best ever winter, but that is because I am only 16! I will certainly have a story to tell after my experience in Somerset yesterday <_<

Posted

Certainly, the snowfall of 28th October 2008 was extremely impressive especially for the Midlands and then into the SE. The fact that it was so early in the season was a surprise for many. It was very rare for this kind of thing to happen even in the 60s, 70s and 8-s. November 2008 saw some heavy snowfall in the north especially around 23rd November.

I think for many in the North and Yeti will tell us, the 5th Dec 2008 snowfall event was pretty exceptional in these areas especially due to depth of snowfall and the fact that snow lasted many many days.

The Christmas 2008- Jan 11th 2009 cold spell was impressive in terms of depth of cold, frost and some very picturesque rime ice at times. Made things look extremely wintery. People seem to forget that this cold spell did have some snowfall with 1-2 inches of snow in the Midlands around Jan 4th lasting a few days. And also some significant snowfall in the north especially Cumbria a day or so later.

Then we had cold zonality in mid-late Jan giving some significant snowfall to NI and some extremely impressive snowfall amounts to the high ground of northern England and Scotland.

And finally onto this cold spell which is the highlight of the winter so far. I will remember this for the London snowfall on 1-2nd Feb which was one of the most impressive snowfalls I have seen. Having 9-10 inches of snow close to the Centre of London is exceptional. This cold spell will rank among the greats especially for the SW, South Midlands, Central Southern England and PARTS of the SE and London. Looking back in years to come, we will mention FEB 2009 and if only we could have had a spell like that again. It should be ranked similar to Feb 1991 given the fact that Okehampton had almost 2ft of snowfall. INCREDIBLE!!

2008-09: A nice, cold and snowy winter

Regards, hgb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

This has certainly been one of the best winters in my lifetime. It is definitely the best one I can actually remember because the 1995 and 1996 winters I was very young for and being away in Brasil for half of the 1996 cold, it's a completely different world over there.

I would have been inclined to say at the start of this month that I was glad we had finally broken the run of milder/mild winters, especially those of 2007 and 2008, but was very disappointed in the absence of snow. This week however has gone and made up for all those lost opportunities earlier in the season and last year and to have three major snow events in a space of five days is excellent here. Tuesday this week saw the heaviest snow here since April 14th 1999 when 6.5cm fell here from a powerful polar low.

It has also been very varied without ever being incredibly mild. The first two weeks of December were cold and changeable with showery airstreams and icy mornings. Then to top that we had the second wettest period of the year overnight in December 13th with flooding. Then a milder, quieter period up to Christmas and a crackingly cold end to the year. 2009 started with the lowest temperatures here since 2002 and for the first time in my memory, the harbour and River Avon froze over. The second half of January reminded us all what our default winter setting is, just to throw in some excitement with plenty of rain and wintry showers. And then February!

We have already had a cracking start to February here and winter doesn't end for me until March 21st. After that, any wintry weather comes as a great surprise bonus. Certainly a much better winter and winter of frustration leading up to February from watching some intriguing models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
More heavy snow fall here now. This week I would guess , I have seen more snow fall then at any other time and that includes the 70s and 80s

Untill this week west country had seen frost and no snow at all but after this week some of the older generations are saying we have not seen this amount of snow here since winter of 62

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

As a qualifier i should start off by stating that i was born in 1972 and grew up in the foothills of the South Pennines (Milnrow) so, in comparison to winters past that i remember (building igloos, sledging on our estate - not just the surrounding hills - for days etc) this winter seems pretty rubbish in comparison. However, having witnessed the garbage winters we have suffered since the end of the 80s, i would still say this winter is very much a pleasant surprise and, personally, the best for me since the 80s.

I think the difference now is the rolling news channels and general hysteria thast the media and us all seem to fall into. I heard someone on the news this morning describe this winter as, i quote, the most exceptional in 30 years. Give. Me. Strength.

Also, as usual, a bit of regional bias is a factor. London and the SE has had some snow this winter so, of course, it goes that a lot of people are getting in a bit of a tizzy about a couple of days of lying snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
As a qualifier i should start off by stating that i was born in 1972 and grew up in the foothills of the South Pennines (Milnrow) so, in comparison to winters past that i remember (building igloos, sledging on our estate - not just the surrounding hills - for days etc) this winter seems pretty rubbish in comparison. However, having witnessed the garbage winters we have suffered since the end of the 80s, i would still say this winter is very much a pleasant surprise and, personally, the best for me since the 80s.

I think the difference now is the rolling news channels and general hysteria thast the media and us all seem to fall into. I heard someone on the news this morning describe this winter as, i quote, the most exceptional in 30 years. Give. Me. Strength.

Also, as usual, a bit of regional bias is a factor. London and the SE has had some snow this winter so, of course, it goes that a lot of people are getting in a bit of a tizzy about a couple of days of lying snow.

In certain places I would go as far as saying that it is the most exceptional in decades. When was the last time Devon had more than half a metre of snow? Will be interesting if anyone could drag that stat out!

Posted

Pretty average for this part of the U.K

Temps maybe lower overall, but snow totals very very disappointing.

Not one decent covering yet and a total of around 4cm for the entire winter period thus far.

Paul S is due to release a report he has been compiling, on why the E/SE costal towns have faired so badly this winter, which will make for very interesting reading.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

February 1978 and January 1982 almost certainly had more snow in the West Country- at least for low lying areas. This year's event was a bit more marginal, especially near the south coast (in Exeter there were 2 inches, which turned a bit slushy during the morning as sleety stuff fell on it). But nonetheless, taking the South West as a whole, this event may well have beaten all events going back to January 1982.

Posted

So far this has been pretty ordinary = yes colder than recent years - but hey thats wouldn't be difficult

as for snow = a few flurries and one snowball made - yesterday morning- other than this no better than previous years

Posted

This winter has been the meteorological equivalent of the footballer who knows lots of tricks, can outpace every defender on earth, pick the perfect pass, but still manage to miss an open goal from 6 yards.

62/3 was Pele, the mid-80s ones Maradona, 90/1 Eusebio, 95/6 Thierry Henry, by comparison 2008/9 just has me screaming "MICHAEL OWEN!"

Posted
I would say as a whole.

It will be the best winter since 1991.

But if the 2nd half of Feb were to turn into something special then could even rank better.

No offence Matty, but do you even remember 1991? :)

1995/96 is probably a good comparison, as many others have pointed out.

1993/94 was also quite decent in this neck of the woods.

In terms of extremly low temps, number of ice days, and number of days with snow cover; from an IMBY perspective this wnter has been NOTHING compared to 2000/2001. Even the first few days of March 2001 managed several consecutive mornings when the temp bottomed out at -7C or lower. In comparison I havent got below -4C this year at all, and only got below -3C once.

Posted
No offence Matty, but do you even remember 1991? :lol:

1995/96 is probably a good comparison, as many others have pointed out.

1993/94 was also quite decent in this neck of the woods.

In terms of extremly low temps, number of ice days, and number of days with snow cover; from an IMBY perspective this wnter has been NOTHING compared to 2000/2001. Even the first few days of March 2001 managed several consecutive mornings when the temp bottomed out at -7C or lower. In comparison I havent got below -4C this year at all, and only got below -3C once.

i would say we have the potential to have an "as good as 91" winter, but no better. unless we get deep, deep frosts we wont come near the 80s winters. remember also in 91 the easterly event was absolutely freezing - it was -5 during the day for a few days, as i remember. we havent had a complete freeze up like that since. however it has been a good cold winter round here, and as for the snow event in london, that was pretty impressive last week .

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well we're coming up to week of lying snow and this is a full cover of snow. Unless something bizarre happens tonight it'll be there tomorrow and it's looking like all of next week too. That pushes it past 96 I can't recall 91 but I suspect we're be looking at the eighties for having such a long period of lying snow.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
i would say we have the potential to have an "as good as 91" winter, but no better. unless we get deep, deep frosts we wont come near the 80s winters. remember also in 91 the easterly event was absolutely freezing - it was -5 during the day for a few days, as i remember. we havent had a complete freeze up like that since. however it has been a good cold winter round here, and as for the snow event in london, that was pretty impressive last week .

I made that point earlier because I live about 10 miles from Matty, and although impressive, the Feb 1991 event wasnt any more potent around here than several other cold spells we've had since. :)

Im less than half a mile inland from an east-facing coast, and even during the Feb 1991 event the snow was reluctant to settle here for any more than a few hours. The only easterly I remember that delivered lying snow for days here was Jan'87, and my memories of that event are vague to say the least.

I notice that theres been some disapointment from various members who live along North Sea coasts over the lack of lying snow during last weeks easterly, despite the low 850hPa temps. I have had that problem here with almost every easterly! Plenty of snow falls, it just wont settle! :)

Of course who knows, the best may still be yet to come.. :)

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted

SM, this is a really good question and has got better as the last week has come and gone.

It is, as far as this area is concerned, a week that has produced more heavy snowfalls than any winter since the the late 80s. Feb 91 was much colder for a week but only had one heavy fall of snow that I remember. It was however from the east and therefore cold and dry. 'Proper' snow as Steve M has alluded too because it was dry and blew around and you couldn't make snowballs from it. Probably never above minus three or so even during the snowfall.

This week has been very unusual in that we have had three (four including tonight's) quite heavy snowfalls and the snow has not melted. This in itself, for recent winters, is quite unprecedented. The warmer air has never managed to get a foothold and hence the snow has remained and been topped up by further falls.

We had snow lying here in October and November but NONE in December ( although we did have a cold spell or two) and January came in at only just above 3 for the CET. I. like SF, am not convinced that a sub 3 month is achievable any more but I am quite prepered to metaphorically 'eat my hat' if it happens this month which is surely the best chance we can possibly get.

The snow fall has been a major surprise this month, so too has the fact that the colder air has hung on for a week now (this is s really good test of a cold spell for me. If we have a whole week with the temperature barely above freezing, then that is a 'real' cold spell from the old school. This week has achieved that without, and this is the only caveat, any very low temperatures. By that I mean minus 10 or below. last night was forecast as a possibility, bit did not make it I fancy.

In summary, I think this has been a very noteworthy winter ( I know that some areas are still waiting the snowfall that we have had here), but it has also been noteworthy for the lack of very low night time minima (and I suppose very low day time maxima) which are the two things I would quibble with if it enters the record books. The other thing would be lack of VERY deep snow and drifting snow to any great depth.

Best winter for a long, long time though. No question.

Posted

The problem is judging winters by snowfall is totally subjective. In terms of temps though clearly this winter will easily be the coldest of the decade, granted on the longer term scale it's not too bad, though deb may be a little more uncommon.

Posted
If we have a whole week with the temperature barely above freezing, then that is a 'real' cold spell from the old school. This week has achieved that without, and this is the only caveat, any very low temperatures. By that I mean minus 10 or below. last night was forecast as a possibility, bit did not make it I fancy.

-13C in Scotland last night.

Posted

Temperature wise in this part of the country will be comparable to a 1996/97, I think 95/96 will 'pip' this one, certainly in terms of snowfall in this neck of the woods but there has been such regional variations, who knows? Without doubt temperature wise will be the coldest of the 00's and certainly has been the frostiest for many a winter.

Here in Burnham (on the Essex coast) we have seen DEC 08: 4.4C JAN 09: 3.15C - I think to beat 95/96 in terms of temps we have to have a sub 3C February which might be achievable but need to see some colder night time temperatures.