Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For London, Ea & Se England

Posted

Afternoon all, Well what makes this even more intresting is that i just had my gritter friend around so far his information has been spot on. He has had a emergency meeting this morning with met officials and there expecting a hell off alot off snow could be on par or even a bit more than sunday/mondays event. The thing that makes this even more intresting is that the gritter depot has only 15% off the gritt left from monday and with no more supply untill friday evening. so i expect things to be a hell off alot worse for us than the other day. really big event comeing up here and i feel a bigger event than sunday/monday is looming. Stay safe and listen to local raido for further updates. Im off down to the local market to stock up becouse by the sounds off it im in surrey and on a hill= pasteing :lol:

I agree. Just going to copy in what I wrote in another thread:

I would be very surprised to see more than two inches in London tomorrow tbh. First of all, the ground will be very wet and secondly, the temperatures seem a little too high. I expect it will start out as rain, then sleet for most of the day, followed by some snow on the back edge. I think the Met & BBC are putting out forecasts for the worse (or best in our case) case scenario. Time will tell...

Disagree mate,

For first off the ground will be dry or icy before the ppn falls. Temps dont seem to be a problem the bbc always have a habbit off overplaying temps but still good enough. if it starts to snow it will stay snow. :lol:

Posted
I think I would go as far as to suggest you should expect snow :lol:

I'm not giving away my postcode though so you can't me shoot me! :lol:

Well I hope you're right Tamara - we have certainly missed out big time and it's becoming quite depressing. I'm not holding my breath for tonight and tomorrow though here in N Norfolk - looks like we could miss the precipitation altogether according to the latest BBC forecast and what there was showed just rain. btw, I have been avidly following the SSW thread and thank you for all your contributions here and for making them so easy to follow. I am hoping that Norfolk, East Suffolk, East Essex and Kent will get their fair share at some point this month...

Posted

Temperature in Eastbourne currently 7.9 DgC and rising :lol: Still, I might be basking in the rain while enjoying a BBQ this weekend! :lol:

Posted

I would be very surprised to see more than two inches in London tomorrow tbh. First of all, the ground will be very wet and secondly, the temperatures seem a little too high. I expect it will start out as rain, then sleet for most of the day, followed by some snow on the back edge. I think the Met & BBC are putting out forecasts for the worse (or best in our case) case scenario. Time will tell...

I agree with post and think this is exactly how it will play out

post-24-1233843277_thumb.png

Anywhere North and West of Coasts Map will see the Snow the Longest, marginal in the shaded areas with Sleet and Slops.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
I suspect the shaded area here is less likely to see snow that will lay or accumulate tomorrow and into the weekend

post-6667-1233840427_thumb.png

Agreed, I suspect that most of the decent settling snow will be to the West and North of that line.

Posted
Afternoon all, Well what makes this even more intresting is that i just had my gritter friend around so far his information has been spot on. He has had a emergency meeting this morning with met officials and there expecting a hell off alot off snow could be on par or even a bit more than sunday/mondays event. The thing that makes this even more intresting is that the gritter depot has only 15% off the gritt left from monday and with no more supply untill friday evening. so i expect things to be a hell off alot worse for us than the other day. really big event comeing up here and i feel a bigger event than sunday/monday is looming. Stay safe and listen to local raido for further updates. Im off down to the local market to stock up becouse by the sounds off it im in surrey and on a hill= pasteing :lol:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought your gritter friend was predicting heavy snow for the SE yesterday/last night. He didn't get that quite right, as the PPN was further north than originally expected. Personally, I think the Met are overforecasting the event for tonight/tomorrow. We'll see though...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I would be very surprised to see more than two inches in London tomorrow tbh. First of all, the ground will be very wet and secondly,

Even with a soaking wet ground, heavy cold snow soon lays. Especially if the temp drops. Just gotta hope the ppn is snow in the first place :lol:

Posted

Just using the rule of 'sods law' I have a dentist appointment in Battle,East Sussex tomorrow afternoon, I am not expecting any snow (just rain) which means we will be bound to get some!

Posted
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought your gritter friend was predicting heavy snow for the SE yesterday/last night. He didn't get that quite right, as the PPN was further north than originally expected. Personally, I think the Met are overforecasting the event for tonight/tomorrow. We'll see though...

Nope he said a very marginal situation mate which it was as it is it snowed for 45 mins then icy rain it was a tough call and a nowcasting situation. this looks less marginal and backed up by all forcasts bbc meto ect. :lol:

Posted
I agree with post and think this is exactly how it will play out

post-24-1233843277_thumb.png

Anywhere North and West of Coasts Map will see the Snow the Longest, marginal in the shaded areas with Sleet and Slops.

Paul S

What a surprise!

:lol:

I give up!

:lol:

Posted

Seems all of a sudden exciting again... I had an amazing amount of snowfall on Monday which is the best I've ever seen... And some more tonight would be lovely, getting the beers in for some lampost watching!!

Another thing to add - I've lived in London for 6 months and I've already seen more snow than the 20 years I had in West Yorkshire.. Amazing.

Could someone give a small briefing on if the TRAVEL will be DISRUPTED in London again tomorrow?

Posted
Seems all of a sudden exciting again... I had an amazing amount of snowfall on Monday which is the best I've ever seen... And some more tonight would be lovely, getting the beers in for some lampost watching!!

Another thing to add - I've lived in London for 6 months and I've already seen more snow than the 20 years I had in West Yorkshire.. Amazing.

Could someone give a small briefing on if the TRAVEL will be DISRUPTED in London again tomorrow?

I may be wrong, but i think london may well start off on the border-line between a wintr mix, then turning to snow.

Posted

this possible snow event is different to mondays. monday was an ese wind bringing showery snow with an airmass originating from the east. tonights is an arctic based airmass running into a feature coming in from the south. could go any way but its interesting. next week is starting to look interesting as well!

Posted

I'm not being facetious but this is going to be so marginal and close to call in the 'middle ground' you may find one street in London gets it and a couple of streets away its going to be sleet. Its down to sticking your head out of the window and checking the transport websites + local radio / TV first thing in the morning and then throughout the day. :lol:

Even the paid experts and experienced forecasters will not stick their necks out for that much detail yet.

Posted

London: Snow City?!

Posted
I'll tell you what....if London and say parts of Hertfordshire, Surrey etc see a pasting again and we see nothing I'll bl@*din' eat my hat followed by my underpants!

Parts of Herts got hit bad last night as well as Monday. Possibly will get hit again tonight.

Would say it is again likely you might miss out in your location. The key is finding local dew point and temp measurement and see the trend. Already in some part of Herts temps and dew points are low, whereas in say Basildon and Laindon in Essex temps and due point are above 5c

Posted

Judging by previous experience we shouldnt believe the hype when it comes to London snow forecasts .However in a week where we did get a huge dumping, i guess anything can happen...

Posted

For example here is a station near me http://www.howarths.eclipse.co.uk/cumulus/

Compared to a station near Southend http://nominis.net/weather/

Or Basildon http://uktrash.org/weather/

Parts of Herts got hit bad last night as well as Monday. Possibly will get hit again tonight.

Would say it is again likely you might miss out in your location. The key is finding local dew point and temp measurement and see the trend. Already in some part of Herts temps and dew points are low, whereas in say Basildon and Laindon in Essex temps and due point are above 5c

Posted

latest update from LCY METAR shows that temp has dropped to DP, (-2C in one hour), however DP and pressure have remained steady.

9 AM (14) Feb 05 37 (3) 37 (3) 29.18 (0988) WNW 2 light rain showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Enjoy you lot because no doubt your forecast is perfect but they cant get it right for here, not even 3 hours before the event. Total rubbish.

:lol: Did you miss out Blizzards? If you did thats shocking, thought you would have got loads, was saying to some1 in Hereford last night that he should get a dumping, expected Worc to be snowed in by this morning.

Must say looking very good for parts of SE tomorrow, Peter Cockroft on BBC24 used words like, persistant, heavy at times, not going anywhere fast.

Posted
I'll tell you what....if London and say parts of Hertfordshire, Surrey etc see a pasting again and we see nothing I'll bl@*din' eat my hat followed by my underpants!

M & S Timmy? :lol: