IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For London, Ea & Se England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

met office press release:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pres...pr20090205.html

right on the high risk/moderate risk boundary

Posted

Yes Temp in Southend/Shoeburyness Landward is 6/5c at the Moment. Not good and still rising

We are the Costa Del Sludge

:)

Posted
For example here is a station near me http://www.howarths.eclipse.co.uk/cumulus/

Compared to a station near Southend http://nominis.net/weather/

Or Basildon http://uktrash.org/weather/

Exactly why we will miss out yet again.

One day, one day we will get a dumping,

Although I am now starting to lose heart for this winter. We have had the best synoptics for years and yet still next to nothing. Even a Thames Streamer failed to deliver, which is unheard of in these parts.

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Wow!

I saw 7 inches on Monday, any chance I may see even more tonight and tomorrow??

I'm sure you will — if you go to the right clubs :)

Sorry couldn't resist

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
met office press release:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pres...pr20090205.html

right on the high risk/moderate risk boundary

Its the risk of disruption rather than hevay snow...so looking good for a big swathe of SE tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
:) Did you miss out Blizzards? If you did thats shocking, thought you would have got loads, was saying to some1 in Hereford last night that he should get a dumping, expected Worc to be snowed in by this morning.

Must say looking very good for parts of SE tomorrow, Peter Cockroft on BBC24 used words like, persistant, heavy at times, not going anywhere fast.

Yes we got some snow but nothing like what was forecast. Very dissapointed tbh because it shows forecasts cant even be right 3 hours before the event. We now have a massive thaw. I bet tonights is correct so enjoy... :)

Posted

Just thought I re-post these wise words from Glacier Point in the Models thread as they are very much applicable to a lot of us:

Event 1 is now starting to come into focus for the central - southern England tomorrow morning as the second core of this complex low pressure system currently affecting the south of the UK works its way along the Channel.

Models vary on the northward extension of this system with GFS, Parallel GFS and NOGAPS 06Z all trending to develop a tight core and ocluded front straddling the south. 850hPa temp and wet bulb temps look favourable for snow for most locations away from the coast. Uncertainty on the strength and positioning of this feature as GEM and UKM 00z take this feature further south and bring the colder air to the north further south quicker shunting the fronts southwards and eastwards. Given the events of the last few days and sudden shifts in positions of fronts, the northern edge to this could be as far north as Birmingham and south as Hampshire. Key advice will be to watch the radar !

Event 2 sees a weakening Atlantic front attempt to push in from the west on Sunday. All global forecast models agree on this front working its way W to E becoming NNW-SSE track across the south-west part of the UK. Sub -5C 850 hPa values will dig in ahead of this and become ensconsed for a 24-36 hour period with a sharp frost likely Friday and Saturday night developing a cold wedge of air above the surface. ECM 850 hPa temperature forecast for Sunday in advance of the front:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

going by the graphics on the latest n24 forecast, we could be seeing 12 hours of continuous heavy snow. if it pulls off as they are forecasting then this could be worse than sunday night

Edited by danm

Posted

And this from Paul Blight (Ukww)

Difficult to say how much Snow will occur in southern Coastal Counties, NAE keener on Sleet , but with cold wind off the land, perfer the GFS solution of Rain turning to sleet then Snow across most areas from IOW to Essex NOrthwest and then even further SE as the day goes on. GFS still has snow across London and the SE through to 18Z - NAE faster to clear away. Need to watch this aspect. Certainly confidence on another snow event in the SE is increasing - but it remains difficult to gauge extent , itensity and accumulations becuase as we saw last night - things didnt go exactly to plan.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
Yes Temp in Southend/Shoeburyness Landward is 6/5c at the Moment. Not good and still rising

We are the Costa Del Sludge

:D

How much snow did you end up getting on Monday? only ask as my bruv is in Westcliff and he said they had quite a lot, we had, I suppose 6-8inches and considered it to be a good downfall, do you not expect to get anymore over night/tomorrow morning? and what are your predictions for Basildon? I find it strange that we are so close and yet the impression from your posts is that you expect nothing to happen!

Its rained nearly all day today in Basildon a right miserable old day.

Posted
going by the graphics on the latest n24 forecast, we could be seeing 12 hours of continuous heavy snow. if it pulls off as they are forecasting then this could be worse than sunday night

They also got this morning right - it rained here yet just about 30 miles north and west there was some heavy snowfall.

Today's rain hasn't melted much of our snow, still white on fields and roofs.

Posted

Dropped down to 3oC across this part of Suffolk already...reached a crazy 6oC today! Dropped a few degrees in a couple of hours...long may this continue for tonight :D

Posted
They also got this morning right - it rained here yet just about 30 miles north and west there was some heavy snowfall.

Today's rain hasn't melted much of our snow, still white on fields and roofs.

I'm only about 10miles nw of you Tommy and we had a further 3inches of snow. :D

Posted

Stansted and South Essex, Cambs down to 1oC already...and those lower temps are filtering south!

Parts of southeast Essex at a barmy 7oC still..but these WILL fall..

Edited by i luv snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Basildon dropped 1 degree in last 15 mins.

Posted

Its only about 3 degrees here in town at the moment.

Looking forward to whatever happens later - 12 hours of hard snowfall continously could give up to a foot!

Posted

temp here 6.4 and dew point 5.2

just got back from school and its seems really thunderry , with my headache as well is this possible ??

Posted
Its only about 3 degrees here in town at the moment.

Looking forward to whatever happens later - 12 hours of hard snowfall continously could give up to a foot!

Its 2.5 degrees in Forest Hill. Just driven back from Brixton and still plenty of snow on grass and away from main roads. Side roads are still Ice rinks despite continuous drizzle all day. Hope for a repeat of Sunday night tonight!

Edited by whitedan2001

Posted
just got back from school

Detention huh? :D

it seems really thundery , with my headache as well is this possible ??

Nothing forecast or showing Donna. Thundersnow would be a major bonus in affected areas but unlikely I guess.