Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The Radar is still showing it going in quite a good Northerly direction. :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I reckon that 3am precip chart from the GFS will be near the mark, it's a case of wait and see.

Posted

As well as radar, It can also be quite useful watching the Satellite for Europe/UK http://www.sat24.com/

This helps get a sense of where the low is heading.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Gosh. Yet more snow!! I will be positively fed up of it by the time the winter is over.. it's becoming a daily routine - heavy overnight snow, snowball fights and snowmen in the morning, then a slushy mix by the afternoon to be replenished the following night :o Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not complaining!! :o

This afternoon I went over CLEEVE HILL on my mountain bike and there were drifts of at least WAIST DEEP. I will be uploading some pictures later. The average depth was about 6 inches though it ranged from about 1cm on exposed parts at the top, where the snow had just blown over, to drifts of 1-2m.

Interestingly, there was a proper "whiteout" condition; not a blizzard, but a whiteout in the true sense, where the horizon is indistinguishable. I am quite impressed with my sense of direction and memory which got me over the hill despite 50m visibility! I have pics to show this effect too, it was intriguing. It was very effective as well since the top of the common is flat.

See the third definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteout_(weather)

I went up the three masts side of the common. The road there was very icy so few cars had been up and I laid some of the first footprints. However there was an enormous Chevrolet from Baton Rough in Louisiana up there, I think they must have been tourists surprised at the snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
I reckon that 3am precip chart from the GFS will be near the mark, it's a case of wait and see.

I reckon things could be even more slightly west than The GFS but so far the GFS is pretty much Spot On.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

If they radar is correct I may get a bit of snow! I did well this moring with a couple of inches. Nearly all gone now though

Edited by Potent Gust

Posted
As well as radar, It can also be quite useful watching the Satellite for Europe/UK http://www.sat24.com/

This helps get a sense of where the low is heading.

Excellent satellite picture :o Thanks!

Or as Del Boy says... "Statellite" :o

Posted
This afternoon I went over CLEEVE HILL on my mountain bike and there were drifts of at least WAIST DEEP. I will be uploading some pictures later. The average depth was about 6 inches though it ranged from about 1cm on exposed parts at the top, where the snow had just blown over, to drifts of 1-2m.

That's a lovely part of the world. Will look forward to seeing the pictures. Did you get any views towards the Malverns?

Regards,

Mike.

Posted
Gosh. Yet more snow!! I will be positively fed up of it by the time the winter is over.. it's becoming a daily routine - heavy overnight snow, snowball fights and snowmen in the morning, then a slushy mix by the afternoon to be replenished the following night :o Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not complaining!! :o

Interestingly, there was a proper "whiteout" condition; not a blizzard, but a whiteout in the true sense, where the horizon is indistinguishable. I am quite impressed with my sense of direction and memory which got me over the hill despite 50m visibility! I have pics to show this effect too, it was intriguing. It was very effective as well since the top of the common is flat.

See the third definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteout_(weather)

I went up the three masts side of the common. The road there was very icy so few cars had been up and I laid some of the first footprints. However there was an enormous Chevrolet from Baton Rough in Louisiana up there, I think they must have been tourists surprised at the snow!

Yep took a trip up there myself today, biggest drift i came across was 4ft, but a lot of the higher reaches were 1ft level snow, with around 6-10 inches on areas surrounding the hill top (from around the rising sun inn upwards)

Spectacular scenery and the deepest snow ive ever been through

SK

Posted
Excellent satellite picture :) Thanks!

Or as Del Boy says... "Statellite" :o

Yes let's hope the "statellite" sends the precipitation crashing into our house and not the plane as in del boys case :o . Don't know what to make of the radar at the moment . I get the feeling north wales must have done very well out of this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

hey, havent been on here for a while, after watching forcastslooked like snow was geting no where close to here (cannock) tonight, but im just confussed now after reading on here. what do people think my chances are ? thanx

Posted

Jo Wheeler has changed her tune a little bit. These are the areas she said would be affected by snow tomorrow morning:

South east including London/North Downs/Chilterns/Malverns/Eastern parts of Wales/Eastern parts of England

Heavy snow for a second night running possibly to top up our 15cm-- excellent!!! :o

Most significant snowfall here in over a decade by the way, possibly since 1991.

Long live Winter 08/09. Spring can wait until mid April. :o

Posted
I reckon things could be even more slightly west than The GFS but so far the GFS is pretty much Spot On.

It's going to head NNE.

The EAST is going to get pasted again. :o

Posted
It's going to head NNE.

The EAST is going to get pasted again. :o

If it heads NNE from where it is now it might even clip Leicester?

Posted
hey, havent been on here for a while, after watching forcastslooked like snow was geting no where close to here (cannock) tonight, but im just confussed now after reading on here. what do people think my chances are ? thanx

Your not the only 1 . There is the disturbance in the irish sea , and theres a load of heavy ppn now building in the english channel as well. I assume these to areas will meet and the big question how far north will it go. Were going to be in strong northerly winds tomorrow so that is not going to help my area.

Posted
Jo Wheeler has changed her tune a little bit. These are the areas she said would be affected by snow tomorrow morning:

South east including London/North Downs/Chilterns/Malverns/Eastern parts of Wales/Eastern parts of England

Heavy snow for a second night running possibly to top up our 15cm-- excellent!!! :o

Most significant snowfall here in over a decade by the way, possibly since 1991.

Long live Winter 08/09. Spring can wait until mid April. :o

Malvern, excellent! I could have a lovely long weekend at this rate...

Posted

Latest W Midlands forecast is certainly an upgrade for some of us and supports radar/GFS more than MetO output

Any patchy sleet and snow during the evening will tend to peter out during the night. Risk of further snow later tonight in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands. There will be a widespread frost with icy surfaces. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

With the remnants of today's snow freezing beforehand it could be fun tomorrow :doh:

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
If it heads NNE from where it is now it might even clip Leicester?

If it heads NNE you will be right in the firing line Andy and I will even be clipped! (as some ensembles are suggesting).

Currently heading NNNE, if you get me.

Posted

If it goes NNE Then it should definately hit us!

Posted
If it heads NNE you will be right in the firing line Andy and I will even be clipped! (as some ensembles are suggesting).

Currently heading NNNE, if you get me.

If it is showing as miles away about 10pm i'm gonna go bed and set the alarm for 4am I missed most of it today cause I stayed up all night.

Posted

It is going to be a short lived event? Because the netweather has snow from 6 - 12am tomorrow here in Birmingham?

Although I know they can be wrong but its based on the GFS.. and it seems the radar is showing it to be like the GFS forecast at the moment..

Posted
Latest W Midlands forecast is certainly an upgrade for some of us and supports radar/GFS more than MetO output

With the remnants of today's snow freezing beforehand it could be fun tomorrow :lol:

Whilst id agree i wouldnt be too sure

The met office are covering their backs by saying 'RISK OF'

Theres a risk i could have a gender change operation tonight, it doesnt necessarily mean its going to happen :doh:

I think this is just a case of the Met Office doing their public duty and advising people on any possible slight risk of snowfall, theyre essentialy covering their backs by giving the snow risk are a 30 mile or so safeguard

All this said the precip looks far further north than predicted

SK

Posted

Well well well this is an interesting change at the last hour, check this out...

This is where the UKMO now places the precip..

http://www.meteociel.com/ukmo/run/U18-594.GIF?05-18

http://www.meteociel.com/ukmo/run/U24-594.GIF?05-18

About 50 miles or so further North and West of what it did earlier.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
It is going to be a short lived event? Because the netweather has snow from 6 - 12am tomorrow here in Birmingham?

Although I know they can be wrong but its based on the GFS.. and it seems the radar is showing it to be like the GFS forecast at the moment..

heres hoping