Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When Will You Get Tired Of The Snow ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Seems a odd question only 5 days in but I was thinking I really hope we dont have snow next monday (my birthday) as I have plans that involve travel

As I write this , there is another heavy snow storm outside

When does the joy start to become a inconvience and you wish it went away or at least get a break from it ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, if we don't get a good dumping soon - then quite soon, perhaps? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Tired...of snow....what?

Sicked and tired of snow is sick and tired of life :)

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

This amuses me - so people spend months moaning that they've not had a 'proper winter' in years, then buckle when they get a few days worth. Just as well we've not had a repeat classic winter isn't it?

You can travel in the snow, otherwise many countries would have to evacuate before winter kicked in - just be prepared and take it carefully.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

^ It's true, it's just about what you're used to. The 'chaotic snow' London experienced would not cause nearly as much disruption in the Highlands or Aberdeenshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I am tired of the snow now after lying around all week.

There is still four inches sitting in the back garden and,

being a gardener, I have lost hundreds of pounds in

revenue this week.

So please think of us outdoor workers when you wish for

prolonged snow and ice...

Andy

Posted
You can travel in the snow, otherwise many countries would have to evacuate before winter kicked in - just be prepared and take it carefully.

revenue this week.

Andy

I see where you are coming from, but thats not correct for many parts of England. Scotland are much more prepared for these types of weather events as they happen much more frequently meaning the local councils are experianced in dealing with this kind of weather, and have all the snow ploughs/grit etc they require. However, further south in England these events are so much rarer, we don't have anywhere near enough slow ploughs and many counties are running out of grit.

This has meant in the last few days, many parts of England, at least for a time, the public have not been able to travel through. This is especially true away from the A roads.

This kind of spell many parts of England is currently going through would be the equivilent of Scotland seeing snowfall for a week at perhaps 5x the levels it is normally used too.

Edited by Polar Low

Posted

Hardly - our council is so much in debt this year they only grit the city when forced. Apart from yesterday when I saw a single pavement plough, I've not seen any road treatments at all here this winter.

Hire a 4x4 and you'll get through - just keep to the main roads where possible.

Posted

revenue this week.

Andy

I am a gardener/agricultural worker. Think of me! I love the snow, always have done, always will! Cleaning plant pots, give the sheep footbaths everyday, can't do any proper gardening because of the snow on the ground. I don't care though, just means I am going to be very busy once it melts digging because I haven't been able to get onto it for ages.

Posted
Hardly - our council is so much in debt this year they only grit the city when forced. Apart from yesterday when I saw a single pavement plough, I've not seen any road treatments at all here this winter.

It seems obvious to me that you have no idea about the comparison.

Let me try it differently. If your area of Scotland generally copes with falls of say 10 inches of snow regularly, but then within a week you get continious falls of snow throughout a week long period which total over 50 inches of lying snow (5 times what you are used to), are you telling me travel would still be possible? Of course it wouldn't, think logically.

The reason England doesn't cope aswell with these events is because they are so rare here, it is not cost effective for the councils to spend money on snow ploughs and state of the art equipment just for the rare event of severe snowfall - it just doesn't happen enough to justify spending all the money - snow ploughs cost £100,000 each!

For the reasons above, thats what makes travel impossible on side/minor roads in England after heavy snowfall. Most of the main roads are clear and can indeed by travelled upon, but make no mistake apart from these many side/minor roads are both closed and/or impassable.

Hire a 4x4 and you'll get through - just keep to the main roads where possible.

Your suggesting everyone who needs to travel and is having trouble should just go and hire a 4x4?

You seem full of realistic ideas :D

Edited by Polar Low

Posted

8 inches is 8 inches, if the road is untreated. 8 inches in England is not the same as 80 inches in Scotland. Maybe you're thinking of Kentimeters...

Roads do get blocked up here, of course they do - we just go around them if we NEED to. There is usually more than one way to get somewhere if you NEED to.

If you really NEED to travel, then travelling in a suitable vehicle is a very sensible idea. I suspect you don't really NEED to travel tho', do you.

Posted
8 inches is 8 inches, if the road is untreated. 8 inches in England is not the same as 80 inches in Scotland. Maybe you're thinking of Kentimeters...

Roads do get blocked up here, of course they do - we just go around them if we NEED to. There is usually more than one way to get somewhere if you NEED to.

If you really NEED to travel, then travelling in a suitable vehicle is a very sensible idea. I suspect you don't really NEED to travel tho', do you.

You've totally avoid the major points I brought up in my last post, I wonder why.

Shocking news report just now BTW, cars stranded on the A38... pictured TWO 4x4's in just one shot, but stuck! :clap:

Stop talking nonsense, your either on the windup or you have no idea! :D

Edited by Polar Low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i tire of the snow about 2 hours after its stopped. after the initial enjoyment of this phenomina it soon loses its appeal.

Posted

What major points? Your major point was that you wanted to go somewhere and were afraid the snow would stop you. I addressed that point. As for what your council feels is superfluous, maybe you should take that up with them.

Posted
What major points? Your major point was that you wanted to go somewhere and were afraid the snow would stop you. I addressed that point. As for what your council feels is superfluous, maybe you should take that up with them.

No you didn't, you made a statement regarding 4x4's which clearly isn't truthful when many have got stuck in the southwest this morning.

Due to the lack of grit, snow ploughs etc in England, I would be pretty confident in saying that Scottish roads are keep in much better condition than the English ones currently are. This is the reason why you are being mislead and thinking you "really can travel if you need to". Some routes sure, others, no way, not even with your trusty 4x4.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I love watching the snow fall.I love watching the snow accumulate. I love playing/walking Molly in the snow.

I hate digging us out to provide safe access for the carers. I hate digging us out to provide an escape route for Luke (should he need it).I hate the worry of it all. I hate slush.

Posted

Never have done and I never will-mind you we have been pretty snow starved up here this winter so I have not had to suffer the delays and problems of the South. It is nearly 20 years since some areas have suffered such snow and with the increase of traffic etc I imagine getting around will be a nightmare.

Posted
Actually getting some snow would be a nice start!

Quite, it's the same here in Manchester. Apart from an inch on Monday that melted by Tuesday morning, and a half a cm yesterday that melted by lunchtime, it's been dry here. Not even particularly cold.

It's getting beyong a joke to hear about the disrubtion in the south day after day, it's even pushed the economy off the top of the news.

Andrew

Posted

just to show how times have changed.. me meself (41yrs old) love it.. ok it messes everything up.. stops busses that ran in the same situation in 87,91.. stopped trains that ran in the same 87,91 snow event.

But most surprising of all was from my mate thats a school teacher at the local school (mixed 12/13yrs) who asked (on first day back) if the kids had enjoyed the snow... 80% said no.. its too cold. :D

Monday morning i only saw the really youngsters out enjoying it.. adults were building the snowmen's

just wonder what would happen if we did get a real major blizzard like event that brought down phone lines and the internet... no msn for the teenagers.. PANICK!!! :lol:

Posted

Please dont get me wrong I dont NEED to travel and I'm happy to have this snow for another 2 months. Who NEEDS to travel apart from saving a life. My neighbour is out all the time (ambulance service)

In my village its like a ski resort and I hear some villages are planning to make very large snow men ie a community feel.

The first thing that changes for me (when we get regular snow for more then 3/4 days) I dont need to look at lamposts at 4am for signs of a flake

I would love for this to continue but im already past the looking over theT168 and T300 charts to see if there is any chance of snow

I think for lowland England at least is our relationship with Snow is very interesting because it is so rare.

I would assume if we had 10 1947 winters in a row we would be talking about the bloody snow

Edited by stewfox

No chance in hell will i tire of this lovely snow, we might not see something like this for years and years, some of the snow depths people are recording are just incredible makes mine look like nothing.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
just to show how times have changed.. me meself (41yrs old) love it.. ok it messes everything up.. stops busses that ran in the same situation in 87,91.. stopped trains that ran in the same 87,91 snow event.

But most surprising of all was from my mate thats a school teacher at the local school (mixed 12/13yrs) who asked (on first day back) if the kids had enjoyed the snow... 80% said no.. its too cold. :)

Monday morning i only saw the really youngsters out enjoying it.. adults were building the snowmen's

just wonder what would happen if we did get a real major blizzard like event that brought down phone lines and the internet... no msn for the teenagers.. PANICK!!! :(

Buses trains and all sorts stopped in 81 82 87 etc

I went sent home from work in 91 etc

I remember having to be picked up my my mum in December 82 as they had stopped all the buses

I think this idea of walking through 5ft of snow to get to school 3 months of a year is a bit cloudy

If we had the snow we have now here 12 inches last 48 hrs, back in 81 79 etc I can assure the schools would still be closed.

Snow has always paralysed the country

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I''m pretty certain that I would tire of snow if a snowy spell persisted (esp. if involving uninterrupted periods of snow cover) for long enough. How long? I don't know, because since I started taking weather records (1993) it has never stuck around for long enough to approach that threshold.

It might well be dependent on the type of snowy spell. For example, I often get bored of settled dry sunny weather if it persists for significantly over a week, but at the end of the dry sunny spell of 8-20 February 2008 in Norwich, I just kept wanting it to go on and on, as that spell had variety and interest and atmosphere, as well as being phenomenally sunny for the time of year. Perhaps snow would be the same- the threshold might be just over a week if it was dull and snowy, say, but nearer a whole month if it was mostly sunshine and snow showers. I can only be guessing though. A lot longer than what we've had so far in Exeter, at any rate.

Andy

I do sympathise with situations like yours, but I have to admit I get tired of being made to feel guilty for wishing for weather types because of the disruption and inconvenience (the media try to educate us to hate snow, thunderstorms, sunshine/showers etc. for this sort of reason all the time). I mean, the weather isn't even something we can do much about, so no matter how much I wish for a particular type of weather, it has absolutely zero effect on the probability of it happening.

You could say that we shouldn't want mild snowless winters because think of the disruption to the Scottish ski resorts... but of course the media ignore that one, because they subscribe to the view that work matters and recreation is non-essential and disposable, and thus that skiing is a disposable 'luxury' industry, and thus that this benefit of snow should be ignored...

Posted

I think the biggest wind up merchants are the tv media. Wall to wall coverage on all news stations, no wonder the rest of the world are laughing at us. I don't remember all this complaining back in the eighties when I was young, we just got on with life, walked to school in a foot of snow, did what we could do and at all breaks got out in the playgrounds for massive snowball fights. Life seemed simpler then!!!!!!

Winter = cold and snow.........just get on with it!!!