Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When Will You Get Tired Of The Snow ?

stewfox

Posted
Seems a odd question only 5 days in but I was thinking I really hope we dont have snow next monday (my birthday) as I have plans that involve travel

As I write this , there is another heavy snow storm outside

When does the joy start to become a inconvience and you wish it went away or at least get a break from it ?

I would like some snow first, let alone get fed up with it! :D

Posted

I love the snow, my problem from a purely individual point of view is that I run an IT company with over 10 staff and we supply IT and support IT into schools, so when you have almost a week of every customer being shut and your paying all your staff to effectively do nothing it hurts a bit, especially having to put project work back etc. We've probably lost somewhere in the region of over 10k just since Monday, so that's why I am officially bored with the snow now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Again, I can sympathise with those who are affected by the disruption and inconvenience that it causes. Just as long as I'm not expected to curb my appreciation of certain weather types out of "respect" for those who are inconvenienced by them, or considered childish or selfish for failing to do so.

There are indeed some people on this forum who can genuinely never have enough snow, and they aren't all children and uni students- some are middle aged or even elderly. I think, though, most of the people who say they can never have enough snow may think that's the case, but that the reality is more that they've never seen enough snow, for a long enough period, for them to get tired of it. This does apply especially to children and uni students, but mainly because they haven't lived through 1947, 1963 and 1979, rather than because they don't have jobs to travel to.

Posted

I don't know about getting tired of the snow - think that's unlikely - but i'm tired of people moaning about the snow, the met office, the train cos , the failure to get snow, too much, too little, gritters, schools , snowballers etc etc etc ...... this week has brought home to me just how much British people like low level moaning about just about anything that takes their fancy :rolleyes:

this morning i did just think , crikey , this is day 5 of snow on the ground in London , although much of it has gone now, am i going to start getting sick of it soon?...... :(

Posted
There are indeed some people on this forum who can genuinely never have enough snow, and they aren't all children and uni students- some are middle aged or even elderly. I think, though, most of the people who say they can never have enough snow may think that's the case, but that the reality is more that they've never seen enough snow, for a long enough period, for them to get tired of it. This does apply especially to children and uni students, but mainly because they haven't lived through 1947, 1963 and 1979, rather than because they don't have jobs to travel to.

Thankyou! I'm a uni student but most of us still have to travel to our part time jobs, if we want to eat! Don't tar everyone with the same brush! Not having lectures is actually rather detrimental to my studies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Hmm i have been snowed in for four days, i have had four days off work which i have to say i have not lost sleep over this and i don't think i could ever get tired of snow.

My boss on other hand may be getting slightly fed up with it :rolleyes:

Not going to get concerned if i need a few more days either because it will probably be at least a decade until we see this again.

Posted

I'm tired of the southern biased BBC hype and freeloaders sciving on the public purse. I thought news was based on fact.

Today's headlines...

Heavy snow has brought a fifth day of chaos to the UK, with severe weather warnings issued to much of the country.

Since when was the SE and south Mids "the UK" ??

5 (?) days of "chaos" ??

"much of" the country ??

I live in a rural village in N Staffs. I've driven 3 hours into Oxfordshire for two days this week past hundreds of closed schools. The school opposite (which must have the highest proportion of parent 4WD's in Britain) has been closed since Wednesday. The kids safety has been compromised by this decision - as they all turned up anyway to make giant snowballs on the adjacent recreation ground ... which they then rolled into the road to cause a car to swerve, out of control, into the verge.

No work, no pay .... might just get people to (whisper this)

make an effort.

Posted
My standards for getting snow are higher!

If i had woken up to this snow a week ago, i would have been amazed. Now i think 'meh, it could have been more'!

addict! :rolleyes:

i have had four days off work

that's mad. surely 4 days off work weren't necesssary! :(

Posted
addict! :rolleyes:

that's mad. surely 4 days off work weren't necesssary! <_<

They have just for the first time cleared hill this week as pictured below which has been non passable all week kinda gives it away with the house size snow pile lolDSCF0259.jpg

They still have not cleared yard where my car is stuck in 2 feet of snow with 3 foot drift round it lol

Edited by mullender83

Posted
I'm tired of the southern biased BBC hype and freeloaders sciving on the public purse. I thought news was based on fact.

Today's headlines...

Heavy snow has brought a fifth day of chaos to the UK, with severe weather warnings issued to much of the country.

Quite, BBC News 24 (or whatever it's called now) on Monday ran with...'Britain has seen its heaviest snowfall for 19 years'...which is just plain wrong. News hasn't been based on fact for many years now: but you do keep on hoping, in vain mostly, for better from the BBC.

Anyway for many here the thread should be called 'When will you get tired of the snow?'

Posted

One thing I am very curious about.

All those that can't get enough snow and love the snow so much why aren't they actually out in it ? it is all the well saying "can never get enough snow :rolleyes: "I want cold weather <_< " but people are saying that from their warm central heated living rooms and offices instead of being outside playing in the snow they crave

Posted

Today's headlines...

5 (?) days of "chaos" ??

"much of" the country ??

I live in a rural village in N Staffs. I've driven 3 hours into Oxfordshire for two days this week past hundreds of closed schools. The school opposite (which must have the highest proportion of parent 4WD's in Britain) has been closed since Wednesday. The kids safety has been compromised by this decision - as they all turned up anyway to make giant snowballs on the adjacent recreation ground ... which they then rolled into the road to cause a car to swerve, out of control, into the verge.

make an effort.

Its gonna take more than an effort to get my car out of this- its the white blob at back

DSCF0189-1.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Most people have work of some kind to be done during the day- and in most jobs the employer requires the work to be done to very regimented hours. In addition, even those who enjoy playing out in the snow are unlikely to be out in it every hour of the day. During the snowy weekend of 22-23 November 2008 at UEA, I was outside for most of the time 9am-6pm on both days, but I still found a bit of time to go on the internet.

Posted

Today's headlines...

5 (?) days of "chaos" ??

"much of" the country ??

I think we're all sick and tired of the southern bias. Moscow, Warsaw, Berlin, Chicago, New York have all coped with far, far worse snowfalls, yet we don't see 5 days of continous "Breaking News" mentioning that. Makes you wonder what the world really think about the UK. Nation of pansies, I suspect.

Posted
I think we're all sick and tired of the southern bias. Moscow, Warsaw, Berlin, Chicago, New York have all coped with far, far worse snowfalls, yet we don't see 5 days of continous "Breaking News" mentioning that. Makes you wonder what the world really think about the UK. Nation of pansies, I suspect.

Sorry but i don't agree with that

this country isnt prepared-true

Could we do better well yes of course we could all go out and buy chains ect, council,trains ect could all equip snowploughs ect and get special tires and i could go on.

However the economic cost of doing such large scale prep would cost a fortune to for example the bus companys-they lose one/two days service in 5/10 years probably on average so its just not finan viable to do it in the country. It happens once in 20 years sometimes longer get over it.

Poor spelling and badly written but i can't be bothered to change it. :doh:

Edited by mullender83

Posted

As somebody else said I find it strange that some people crave snow but just watch it and dont actually go out in it. I've had 3 days of snow here and on each of those days was sledging for most of the day, its been amazing. :doh:

But like anything the novelty does wear off after a while, but if it snowed again i'd still be happy. For me the ideal Winter would be 2 snow events each month, but obviously will never happen.

Posted

tired off snow are you :D ... Im tired of getting NO snow .......... 1 day and only a few inches really does not float my boat :)

kaz

Edited by kaz

Posted

Today's headlines...

Im fed up with people up north moaning about southern bias, get over it, face facts, over 40 million of the 60 million people in this country live within 2 hours of London, this means the media, and people in general are bound to have a bias to this area as this is where they live and work, the main news headlines and newspapers are bound to reflect this fact and the fact that this area has has its worse weather in years is true, also is the fact that the south is much less used to it and less equiped than the north so it is bound to have a worse impact.

Posted
One thing I am very curious about.

All those that can't get enough snow and love the snow so much why aren't they actually out in it ? it is all the well saying "can never get enough snow :cold: "I want cold weather :lol: " but people are saying that from their warm central heated living rooms and offices instead of being outside playing in the snow they crave

I have been out in it all day and every day.

40million out of 60million people live within 2hrs. of London? We are a small island even people in the north of England aren't much further from London I am only 2hrs 20 minutes away by train. National news and headlines should reflect us a nation not from a south bias that is what your local papers are for!

Posted

make an effort.

Well said - I'm fed up with the 'I'm snowed in c**p'. It took me nearly an hour to dig my car out and go to work today to do what is a fairly essential occupation, and I'm self employed. Not too many shovel marks around some of the buried car pictures. I've got 25cm of snow here as well so not just a dusting.

Folks need to stop moaning and get on with it.

Posted
Im fed up with people up north moaning about southern bias, get over it, face facts, over 40 million of the 60 million people in this country live within 2 hours of London, this means the media, and people in general are bound to have a bias to this area as this is where they live and work, the main news headlines and newspapers are bound to reflect this fact and the fact that this area has has its worse weather in years is true, also is the fact that the south is much less used to it and less equiped than the north so it is bound to have a worse impact.

The point about the south being less used to snow is a valid one, and can partly account for why southerners are less prepared. Population density is another factor.

I can't agree with the "deal with it" type approach to the South East bias though. Yes, it's where the majority of the population lives, but even if over 40 million people live within 2 hours of London, that leaves 20 million who don't. Are you saying we should treat 20 million people as if they don't matter? That's what the media do. The problem is not the south getting more coverage, but rather the north being treated as if it doesn't exist at all.

One argument against people taking ages shovelling snow off the car in order to work is that in some cases, it necessitates driving for a fair length of time over very treacherous surfaces, accident-ridden roads etc. There's also the "I don't want to go to work so being snowed in is my excuse", which is a rather more dubious reason. Also some people take the opportunity to work from home if feasible.

As for ideal length of snow, I would ideally want a winter of frequent short-lived snow events (with, say, two per month of 3-6 days' duration) interspersed with mild sunny interludes- in essence a colder version of my ideal spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

deleted

Edited by stewfox