Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
NEW UPGRADE FOR LONDON !

Early warnings of severe or extreme weather

These are issued when the Met Office has 60% or greater confidence that severe weather is expected in the next few days.

Risk of disruption Warning Valid from Valid to

London & South East England:60% Gtr London

60% Surrey

Heavy Snow 0731 Fri 6 1500 Fri 6

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of southeast England on Friday. Periods of snow will be heavy at times and will give local accumulations of 2 to 5 cm and up to 10 cm over high ground. This is likely to cause disruption to travel.

Issued at: 0741 Fri 6 Feb

If you look at the latest radar, you,ll see it slowly dying out over the midlands, I think once that front gets over to the London area there wont be much precip left on it! :(

Posted
Yep, same story here Dave. Surprised at the intensity of the snow but it is coming down fairly hard and has done for about an hour and a half now.

I'm not complaining though! It is settling again everywhere and topping up yesterday's 4-5 inches. I would estimate an extra 2 inches has fallen already.

We have to be the luckiest locations in the UK at the moment. We have remained in the colder sector but also seen the heaviest precip. I find it ironic because on Monday I was quiet annoyed at missing the heaviest snow.

I can't see the movement being much further NE and if anything this afternoon it should return SE. I feel tonight will be interesting because with clearing skies and deep snow cover this could drop our min temps by around 5C colder than those without snow cover!!

Posted

Another dumping here in LB, must have had 3 inches since 6ish. Snow gone lighter now, but will be interesting to see if the heavier stuff moves back over here.

Posted

Snow still very heavy in St Neots, West Cambs.. This was the scene at 8am this morning, and despite a few brief intervals it's coming down just as heavy now.

snow4.jpg

I think this will catch a lot of people out today travelling, as the snow started after most people would had left for work and the roads are getting a lot worse... No sign of gritters yet

JT

Posted
Well the GFS 06z ppn charts show snow getting into the London area around 6 p.m and not finally clearing until 6 tomorrow morning. Hope they're right, although I think we will get some snow south of the river, I dont think it will be as persistant, or as heavy, as those charts suggest. :(

Regards,

Tom.

Yes you suspect the front might be a fizzling feature by the time it finally makes it to SE London and Kent.

Temps here currently 3.6C

Edited by Kentish Man

Posted

Hi TEITS, and to think we perhaps started the winter thinking look East and North. Yet 2 night in a row for you, heavy snow from the south west, albeit with the correct colder conditions having come down from the north.

We have to be the luckiest locations in the UK at the moment. We have remained in the colder sector but also seen the heaviest precip. I find it ironic because on Monday I was quiet annoyed at missing the heaviest snow.

I can't see the movement being much further NE and if anything this afternoon it should return SE. I feel tonight will be interesting because with clearing skies and deep snow cover this could drop our min temps by around 5C colder than those without snow cover!!

Posted

Snowing heavily in Norwich now, nothing on the ground due to earlier rain but if this keeps up..... it'd be great if it does as we've really missed out so far :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Sorry OT mods, just had a panicky phone call from my daughter who is with friends visiting Krakow. Another friend is supposed to be joining them today, flying from Luton. Evidently Luton Airport is closed for snow clearing and expect to open this afternoon but the snow could return by then. How bad is it in the Luton area at the moment, does anyone know?

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
Sorry OT mods, just had a panicky phone call from my daughter who is with friends visiting Krakow. Another friend is supposed to be joining them today, flying from Luton. Evidently Luton Airport is closed for snow clearing and expect to open this afternoon but the snow could return by then. How bad is it in the Luton area at the moment, does anyone know?

Regards,

Tom.

Luton council advising people not to enter Luton at all due to heavy snow which is still falling.

Airport is due to open at 12pm but no flights till 1pm but that is not confirmed becuase snow is still falling.

Posted

Regards,

Tom.

I'm 7 miles from Luton airport, not good news for flyers

3-4ins of lying snow, coming down fast again now

snow plough just been past my house!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

What's the quality of snow like in the peak areas. Had some snow before I left for work this morning. My kids school is open but the senior school is closed which is a joke! Consitions are more slushy than anything, the snow is a lot wetter than the sunday night/monday morning stuff.

Amazing the spray that you get from slush on the roads. A boon for drycleaners methinks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

I wouldn't go to Luton Tom, my great great Nan (109) recently phoned me saying how bad the snow was down there. She's back home now after injuring her hips coming off the sledge down a hill.

Hope she's ok?

Posted

You're right, this has been an extraordinary couple of days for our locations and makes Monday's snowfall seem like a dusting in comparison. I'm also looking forward to seeing what mins are recorded overnight.

My local Heart station has decided to stay local this morning and provide traffic/travel updates + closure information rather than go to the networked programme played across all the Heart stations. No Toby Anstis- the day gets even better!

Still snowing fairly heavily with some thick flakes coming down. The county has practically come to a standstill.

Posted

As TEITS has said, been snowing extremely heavily now for an hour and a half. Probably had a couple of inches on top of the 7-8 inches from yesterday. Here's a wintry scene from my back garden. Yesterday my husband cleared all the paths and around the bird tables so he could feed the birds. Looks like he'll be doing it all again later :(

post-1121-1233915525_thumb.jpg

What's the quality of snow like in the peak areas. Had some snow before I left for work this morning. My kids school is open but the senior school is closed which is a joke! Consitions are more slushy than anything, the snow is a lot wetter than the sunday night/monday morning stuff.

Amazing the spray that you get from slush on the roads. A boon for drycleaners methinks!

It's a wetter snow than the Sunday/Monday event, which gave a far more powdery snow.. This snow is much better for snowmen and snowballs though.. :(

Posted

Getting serious here. The camera fails to pick up how heavy it actually is.

post-1766-1233915659_thumb.jpg

If we have 2hrs of this I can see huge problems later and looking at the radar this is possible.

Posted

currently 0.8c, sleet falling. 3" new snow on top of yesterdays - approx 7" laying. 3 counties radio reports airport to open this afternoon. A505 and M1 blocked by vechiles. expect snow to start moving south again by early afternoon. in summary, not good! :(

Posted

Tis a good question. With the models suggesting the PPN to soon start heading south again, you would like to think so. In fact looking at the charts possibly PPN over us for a number of hours, but I am wondering if it will just be very light, sleety.

well......we had a bit of heavy snow this morning in hertford.......nothing now....as your all in the know, (i dont have a clue...lol) do you think we will get any more??

Posted
Getting serious here. The camera fails to pick up how heavy it actually is.

post-1766-1233915659_thumb.jpg

If we have 2hrs of this I can see huge problems later and looking at the radar this is possible.

And as if you don't love it Dave :(

Posted
Tis a good question. With the models suggesting the PPN to soon start heading south again, you would like to think so. In fact looking at the charts possibly PPN over us for a number of hours, but I am wondering if it will just be very light, sleety.

thanx hammer........guess we jus have to wait and see.