Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted

I will have to get my long range Binoculars out... :D I cant see any from here-

but I trust you are seeing them- If thats the case I will gently look forwards to tonight?-

Who wants to give me a quick update- As for once Ive had a nice long lie in!!

S

yeah guys dont get your hopes up just yet.. it is the odd flake in the light wind.. noticed it as i was sorting the bins out. wouldnt have noticed it otherwise

Posted
So when are you going to put the Live Feed up of you eating your George Underwear

Dont say I did'nt warn you Timmy :D:D

As for rest of Today, Total Total Over-Reaction again from the Met Office for this Afternoon in the Greater London Area, In Fact they should be Shot down there, I dont think they have performed this Badly in a long long time.

Might get some of the Netweather Forecasters to apply for a Job down there and kick some sense into them

Paul S

i dont normally jump on the band wagon about beating the beeb/meto up when forecast go wrong specially in marginal set up but have to agree they havent performed particular well re monday frontal snow or last night snow in SW . They use models tp predict certain probale outcome but as the time line comes into T+0 timeline this switches to a observation cast . I couldnt believe that darren betts was on N24 at 9.30 pm forcasting snow for london area when people on this site where already observing the the fact SW was in the firing line and one hour later at 10.30 there was a backtrack . I appreciate its a very diffcult thing to call but you wuld expect better

Posted

I will have to get my long range Binoculars out... :) I cant see any from here-

but I trust you are seeing them- If thats the case I will gently look forwards to tonight?-

Who wants to give me a quick update- As for once Ive had a nice long lie in!!

S

Well as I see It.

Precip now still moving North, Some Precip towards the North West of our Region will Pivot back SE'Wards and Fragment and die off, Skies Clearing tonight to leave a Harsh Frost.

Met Office still warning and expect those to come down as the day wears on.

That good enough Smurf ?? :):)

Posted
I feel your pain. PPN now stopping here and a little brighter. Not long to January 2010 for our next shot at some snow eh?

Well, hopefully not that long, runboy. That band that went over us does look like it is pivoting and going to return pretty quickly - and I suspect it will draw some colder air back over us, so perhaps it could be a bit better on the return soon after lunch!

Also, we can have pretty heavy snow in early March - and we have the rest of February to get through yet!.

talking of which, it does look like - according to the model and SSW threads - that with the Stratospheric Warming event that has occured this could lead to prolonged high pressure setting up to our North / North West / North East and drag in a prolonged Easterly / Northerly. It's more this wind direction, with the source from very cold that, with a little help of turbulence in the stream, a bit of 'lake effect' from the North Sea and small low pressures sliding down beside us can dump a lot of snow on us lot stuck out into the North Sea!

Caveat: I don't have much knowledge on either Statospheric Warming, wind directions, and the effects of either, just passing on my interpretation of what I have picked up in the last few years watching this website! I love to be corrected ( in a nice way) :)

Posted
So when are you going to put the Live Feed up of you eating your George Underwear

:) I think you can just confirm you have digested said items, no video evidence would be required for me!

Posted

Morning all,

Glad i did not stay up all night woke up and yes bitterley sisapointed the met office and the bbc really made a big cock up on this one and in my view have made me feel not to trust these people at all. Well done paul s You did say dont get your hopes up. I just have lost all faith tbh we were lucky last sunday. But thats 2 events where its gone pear shaped i have a feeling it could be the last. :)

Posted
Well as I see It.

Precip now still moving North, Some Precip towards the North West of our Region will Pivot back SE'Wards and Fragment and die off, Skies Clearing tonight to leave a Harsh Frost.

Met Office still warning and expect those to come down as the day wears on.

That good enough Smurf ?? :):)

What about that stuff to the SW? Where is that going to go. Some convection seems to be taking place

Posted
Talking of which, it does look like - according to the model and SSW threads - that with the Stratospheric Warming event that has occured this could lead to prolonged high pressure setting up to our North / North West / North East and drag in a prolonged Easterly / Northerly. It's more this wind direction, with the source from very cold that, with a little help of turbulence in the stream, a bit of 'lake effect' from the North Sea and small low pressures sliding down beside us can dump a lot of snow on us lot stuck out into the North Sea!

A very good post, It is this Outlook that is keeping me sane, I am expecting it to become MUCH MUCH Colder from the North and North-East which will make this little Episode seem like a Mild Spell. Have also heard even the Meto are coming on board with regards to this, expect an announcement soon

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Looks very dire for the south east, what are peoples opinions, any chance of a bit of snizzle this afternoon?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Well if it turns out all said and done I gotta repeat myself in saying that the cold september and october nights really foretold something!

however Paul, as much as your reverse psycology worked I never weakened and maintained my stamina :)

In my heart of hearts I knew you were bluffing :)

I have to say no LRF's anywhere and that Includes the Meto's will get my attention esp with regards to Estimated Snowfall amounts ever, they are worthless and as someone else pointed out these Snow Events usually turn up within 24-36 hours notice. I also think we "Might" have entered a new era since about 20 years ago and even I am coming on board to this "even larger teapot" Theory, In that the Uk just "Cannot" get a prolonged Snowfall on the ground any more (And by that I mean a good dumping from the East or North East that will lie on the ground for at least 7-10 days.)

Looks like possibly a brief breakdown could be on the cards next week now which is not going to float my boat seeing as we always end up on the wrong side of marginal, the usual favoured locations will get the Snow whilst the unlucky one will see a few hours of Sleet and even the lucky ones accumalations will be like Snowfall of the last 17 years.

Have lost the belief sorry guys

Paul S

So its back to the 80`s and all's well in the world, the world of "seasonal weather" that is! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Someone mentioned a polar low... :) is this it NE of Scotland? And if so where's it going to go?

post-8078-1233922203_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iceni

Posted
What about that stuff to the SW? Where is that going to go. Some convection seems to be taking place

LOL

You could not make this Up, New warnings out for London and the South East...............Including KENT! :):)

Heavy Snow Mon 9 Feb

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of southern England on Monday. A band of rain will turn to sleet and snow in places as it moves eastwards. There is the potential for around 5cm of accumulating snow in places, locally 10 cm.

Issued at: 1200 Fri 6 Feb

Looks like the stuff to our South West is pivoting North Westwards to me :)

A very good post, It is this Outlook that is keeping me sane, I am expecting it to become MUCH MUCH Colder from the North and North-East which will make this little Episode seem like a Mild Spell. Have also heard even the Meto are coming on board with regards to this, expect an announcement soon

Paul S

Their announcement is something do with a big pool of stagnent air to the NE- In my eyes thats somewhere near Southend..!!

Let me know when its on its way Paul- You will see it coming all your windows will shatter like the Day after tomorrow- :)

With regards to the coming week, I guess its going to be a bucket of rain fest or a bucket of snow fest- SE England are on the cusp-

As for the ECM evolution I havent said it in the model thread - however its developing an azores ridge directly north- then cutting it off as a closed high with undercutting-

How many times has that happened- ZERO-

Steve

Posted
LOL

You could not make this Up, New warnings out for London and the South East...............Including KENT! :):)

Heavy Snow Mon 9 Feb

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of southern England on Monday. A band of rain will turn to sleet and snow in places as it moves eastwards. There is the potential for around 5cm of accumulating snow in places, locally 10 cm.

Well I'm in the South East and it's been snowing here all morning. Still snowing now.

Posted

Yep, skies darkening and steady flurries of sleet/wet snow with the odd bit of drizzle, patchy at times but still continuing to fall, maybe we might get something out of this after all, met O updating their warnings as we type

not what I was hoping for yesterday but still better than a kick up the bot from Bobby Charlton I suppose...would be happy with a cm or 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Latest radar shows ppn pivoting now. Stuff over the IOW starting to move slightly W/NW, I wouldnt expect the ppn between east of B'ham over to Norwich to move any further north. It should start to move SW in awhile and then south but can it hold together. Low over N.France still west of the Meridian at midday but as it moves east of that line it should start to pull everything southwards, -5 uppers not expected into N/W. London until 6 p.m.

Paul S., not that impressed with the Metos showing since they flagged up the Thames streamer on Sunday(sorry, I know its painful). They had Weds nights snow too far west and last nights snow kicking off too far east.

I think the updated warning for London/Surrey for earlier this morning might have been a knee jerk reaction to the snowfall over London/Surrey early this morning. The trouble was the radar still showed everything still moving north and ppn was likely to fizzle and turn back to rain. I'll shut up now, I just sound like I'm being clever and picky. :)

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
LOL

Heavy Snow Mon 9 Feb

not getting my hopes up!! :)

Posted
Well if it turns out all said and done I gotta repeat myself in saying that the cold september and october nights really foretold something!

however Paul, as much as your reverse psycology worked I never weakened and maintained my stamina :)

In my heart of hearts I knew you were bluffing :)

Looks like possibly a brief breakdown could be on the cards next week now which is not going to float my boat seeing as we always end up on the wrong side of marginal, the usual favoured locations will get the Snow whilst the unlucky one will see a few hours of Sleet and even the lucky ones accumalations will be like Snowfall of the last 17 years.

Have lost the belief sorry guys

Paul S

So its back to the 80`s and all's well in the world, the world of "seasonal weather" that is! :)

:)

1.But I have ended up on the wrong side of Marginal

2 The Mini Beast from the East never functioned for us.

3. Snowfall has Not laid on the ground for 7-10 days.............yet

And It has for some of the Usual Locations, So 3 outta 4 aint Bad ya Git

:)

Paul S

Posted
LOL

Heavy Snow Mon 9 Feb

Warning of heavy snow in south east eh? should be good for the Midlands then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Latest radar shows ppn pivoting now. Stuff over the IOW starting to move slightly W/NW, I wouldnt expect the ppn between east of B'ham over to Norwich to move any further north. It should start to move SW in awhile and then south but can it hold together. Low over N.France still west of the Meridian at midday but as it moves east of that line it should start to pull everything southwards, -5 uppers not expected into N/W. London until 6 p.m.

All I know is we have moderate snow now back in North Oxfordshire, didnt expect it ,thought it was all going south and petering out here

10 inches so far in last 48hrs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

It seems there are some disapointed people in here? Well I think some of you will be pleasently surprised this evening. I expect that heavy band of PPN around Dorset to slowly move Eastwards this afternoon and by the time it reaches London and Kent it should be cold enough for it to fall as snow, doesen't look like it will move very fast either so there could be a good few hours of snow down there.

I did think the BBC got it wrong last night BEFORE the event actually happened. I couldn't see snow for the South East last night and I thought it was going to go more towards the Midlands and it did... However I think that the South's chances of snow are this afternoon and tonight and I fully expect some reports this evening of a few cm's in places :)