Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
Next door has a leaky gutter and its empty at the minute - there is a HUGE 3ft iceicle forming! Interesting that all our snow this week has been in what would be considered marginal in the model discussion thread -3 or -4 850s at best. I don't doubt there will be further talk of Sunday's possible event being marginal on that basis, and further events into the beginning of next week. We're doing quite well out of these marginal events. I also disagree with one of the more respected and senior members on here completely ruling out any connection with existing snow cover and poor uppers not having any influence whatsoever in these marginal situations. One thing that is undeniable is that wet snow will lie on existing snow - even the lighter stuff - it won't lie on completely wet unfrozen surfaces. This I think is to extent why we have done so well - holding on to snow cover throughout the week, even if has thawed a bit at times. And being well inland, we've always had favourable dew points!

Completely agree with you and for all all the modern wizardry some of the old folk lore still holds true "snow begets snow" as my grandfather would say in the 1960's/70's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
There's precip coming straight from around the Chester area, it's heading straight for the Midlands on the radar I have, does anybody think that means we may see some snow either later in the morning or into tommorow?

I'm not sure they will reach the West Midlands before dying out. They might do but they will be light and just give a dusting.

I still can't believe that it's -6.3 here already, the UKMO temperature chart said no lower than -2 or -3 tonight and the GFS said about -3. This is a LOT colder than any model forecasted. Apperantly tomorrow night is supposed to be twice as cold as tonight, well if thats the case then it could be about -10 here, I haven't seen -10 here since the year 2000 or maybe longer!

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Good very early morning all. :)

Am taking the night off from streetlamp watch. (Thankfully!)

Andy,

Clear and still air will see the temp shoot right down.

Here in Solihull it's currently -4ºc

DP = -4ºC

Humidity = 100%

Only danger now is that any thawing snow/slush will freeze, creating the Torvill and Dean skating on ice scenario by daylight.

I never could skate, but now's my chance. Or do the Todd Carty routine! :D

Phil.

Posted
YET AGAIN another top up this morning, with another cm or so. im lovin this :D

Yeah great, about the same here, very unexpected. :)

Posted

Snowing fairly heavy again here at present, just a small shower according to the radar. <_<

Posted
Snowing fairly heavy again here at present, just a small shower according to the radar. <_<

i can see the clouds from here. where abouts are you, kiddy or bromsgrove way?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

had another sprinkling last night, looks very wintry ive still got the main snow in places, thick frost, and a flurry in the night, min -3.1C before cloud came

sundays snow looking unlikely, so weak on bbc

Posted

A nice dusting from a couple of unexpected flurries this morning. Makes it 6 consecutive days of snowfall (a record!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Got a sugar dusting last night, but after getting the best part of a foot in Somerset I will not be disappointed if I get no further snow...but I certainly won't be complaining if I get more!

Looking very promising for the coming week. Sunday could bring a bit more snow, and Monday night has the potential to give a dumping, but is on a knife edge at this stage. Beyond that? Who knows...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

bbc beta looks good between 9pm and midnight tomorrow night on map but on stafford on the days it says sun night -4oC and light rain

Posted

Drove/skidded back from the pub last night at about 11pm & my car registered a -9c when I drove through a fog bank :o :o :o

I've got some awesome icicles this morning. My 8yr old daughter was fascinated - she'd never seen any before !!

Posted

Woke up to a nice surprise dusting this morning, no depth to it but everywhere is sugar coated. Like Essan, that keeps the consecutive days snow run intact. :o The BBC forecast for tomorrow night looks interesting...

Posted

few clouds overhead but no snow here this morning :o I just cant get enough of the stuff! :o

Im hoping we will get a little tomorrow night! What do u guys think? I think it will be a bit further north than me! :o

Posted
few clouds overhead but no snow here this morning :o I just cant get enough of the stuff! :o

Im hoping we will get a little tomorrow night! What do u guys think? I think it will be a bit further north than me! :o

a lot of discrepancy over monday nights feature. imo, snow for the midlands northwards. for tomorrow night, i feel sleet is more likely. after monday night tho, i wouldnt be surprised if thats the last snow we see for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Another dusting of Snow here overnight!!!

Anyway, BBC Charts look better for tomorrow, shows quite a bit of snow with just some Sleet and rain but you can trwally say where that will definately be!

Posted

Hi guys. Just listened to Radio Leicester weather. Giving -10c tonight and possibly lower in rural areas. As for the snow they are playing it down saying we are unlikely to get anything heavy. I don't trust them though, on Wednesday their forecast for Thursday was rain and some sleet, snow over higher ground. Classic! :)

Posted

How acurate is netweather.tv % of snow reading? Its says for oxford today 92% I can see some clouds forming but the BBC Does not forcast snow, neither does the met. CONFUSED!! Yes:)

Posted

Unfortunately the cloud cover predicted by the BBC forecasts this morning doesn't seem to have materialised so far, expecting a substantial thaw today.

Posted

Had some snow showers overnight as was 1-2cm fresh cover this morning.

However its rather sunny now with a steady thaw, some areas have fairly deep snow though.

Looks like everything will be washed away tommorow though :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Latest BBC Forecast suggested some Snow for us for a time tomorrow, maybe a little sleet at times but then Monday showed the South Midlands in particular getting pasted by Snow! Good for here! :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
Latest BBC Forecast suggested some Snow for us for a time tomorrow, maybe a little sleet at times but then Monday showed the South Midlands in particular getting pasted by Snow! Good for here! :)

i know, looking pretty potent. :)

Posted

Glad you are being a bit more positive! Travelling up the M5 yesterday gave me a good idea of the snowcover across the country, everywhere was pasted and as we got through the Worcestershire area there seemed very little, is this the case where you are?

Posted

Slight changes in the charts could mean us Midlanders get one hell of a pasting Monday Night.

If the low tracks a bit further south than currently shown then 20cm is easily possible in some parts.

UKMO goes against GFS tommorow and thinks it will stay as snow all the way through possibly, i hope so as being at 160m asl it helps anyway.

Posted
Slight changes in the charts could mean us Midlanders get one hell of a pasting Monday Night.

If the low tracks a bit further south than currently shown then 20cm is easily possible in some parts.

UKMO goes against GFS tommorow and thinks it will stay as snow all the way through possibly, i hope so as being at 160m asl it helps anyway.

On a knife edge doesn't do it justice! Just a few miles could be the difference between a pasting, a drenching or nothing at all.

The updated Met Office warnings are very promising though.