Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Glad you are being a bit more positive! Travelling up the M5 yesterday gave me a good idea of the snowcover across the country, everywhere was pasted and as we got through the Worcestershire area there seemed very little, is this the case where you are?

Yep snow cover is patchy but its hardly melting because its froze so will only clear by a mild day or a rainy day!

Slight changes in the charts could mean us Midlanders get one hell of a pasting Monday Night.

If the low tracks a bit further south than currently shown then 20cm is easily possible in some parts.

UKMO goes against GFS tommorow and thinks it will stay as snow all the way through possibly, i hope so as being at 160m asl it helps anyway.

Indeed, A little further North i think would be good but not much further otherwise we will end up with rain!

On a knife edge doesn't do it justice! Just a few miles could be the difference between a pasting, a drenching or nothing at all.

The updated Met Office warnings are very promising though.

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Northamptonshire and Leicestershire have had Early warnings issued by the METO.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/...t_warnings.html

Last night when I saw the BBC forecast I was a bit miffed when they said just light snow for the Midlands. The GFS precip chart showed moderate PPN and so does the UKMO precip chart. Seems the BBC and Met-O have now seen that and realised it warrants a warning, 5-10cm is a lot more than their original forecast of light snow!

Posted
Last night when I saw the BBC forecast I was a bit miffed when they said just light snow for the Midlands. The GFS precip chart showed moderate PPN and so does the UKMO precip chart. Seems the BBC and Met-O have now seen that and realised it warrants a warning, 5-10cm is a lot more than their original forecast of light snow!

I saw on TV that some parts of south leicestershire near the northants borders have took a real pasting unlike other parts of leicestershire.

Could the next few days be a repeat performance???

Posted
I saw on TV that some parts of south leicestershire near the northants borders have took a real pasting unlike other parts of leicestershire.

Could the next few days be a repeat performance???

Where I live 3 miles South West of Leicester city centre we got 4 inches of snow on Monday, another inch or so fell on Thursday and then yesterday we only got light snow most of the morning which didn't really settle. Northants is 40 miles South but got about 3-4 times what we did yesterday, amazing really.

I think Leicester and Northampton will get roughly the same amount tomorrow night, it's a band coming in from the West and sweeping across the country so it's not going to be a stall job where it reaches Northants and South Leicester and then moves away :rolleyes:

Posted
Where I live 3 miles South West of Leicester city centre we got 4 inches of snow on Monday, another inch or so fell on Thursday and then yesterday we only got light snow most of the morning which didn't really settle. Northants is 40 miles South but got about 3-4 times what we did yesterday, amazing really.

I think Leicester and Northampton will get roughly the same amount tomorrow night, it's a band coming in from the West and sweeping across the country so it's not going to be a stall job where it reaches Northants and South Leicester and then moves away :rolleyes:

I dont like the look of this ... :doh:

If the temp and dewpoints are in our favour.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...;sess=#forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

This is going to look awful posting this in the 'snow watch' thread, but I'm actually hoping for rain tomorrow and monday night...I lost a lot of work time last week, and cant afford to lose any more!

Posted

Looks like we`re heading into marginal territory next 2 days,GFS is very good in these situations although the track of this low is very uncertain but GFS seems to of been sticking to this track every last run.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/36_30.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/42_30.gif

Upper air are not good from a west wind,snow/rain/snow.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rmgfs362.gif

Then onto the much more exciting possible snow event with strong east winds.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/66_30.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/72_30.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
This is going to look awful posting this in the 'snow watch' thread, but I'm actually hoping for rain tomorrow and monday night...I lost a lot of work time last week, and cant afford to lose any more!

Lol, it probably will now! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
Northamptonshire and Leicestershire have had Early warnings issued by the METO.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/...t_warnings.html

and those warnings for Northamptonshire are in respect of heavy snow for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday !!

A spokesman for local government association on Sky News states that if conditions remain the same during next week will mean it will be the worst conditions experienced for 35 years (1974).

Posted
and those warnings for Northamptonshire are in respect of heavy snow for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday !!

A spokesman for local government association on Sky News states that if conditions remain the same during next week will mean it will be the worst conditions experienced for 35 years (1974).

conditions havent ever really been that bad here, temperatures keep getting higher than forecast during the day upto 4c here atm, result of this despite maybe 20cm or some falling since monday only bout 5 remains on the grass. Most roads and pavements are clear. We could do with a few upgrades over the next 24 hours regarding sunday night and tuesday potential events. I think sunday needs to be delayed till midnight or later to give the temps a chance to get well below 0 as was shown on yesterdays 12z.

Posted

Latest bbc forecasts dont look good for snow tomorrow here, the band expected to move through here at the warmest part of the day. monday night could be interesting though, although they have us on the northern extent of it. A little bit further north and we could have some very interesting weather.

Posted
Latest bbc forecasts dont look good for snow tomorrow here, the band expected to move through here at the warmest part of the day. monday night could be interesting though, although they have us on the northern extent of it. A little bit further north and we could have some very interesting weather.

Monday does look intresting the band of precip looks to go no further than peterborough.

like i said earlier in this thread south leicestershire along with northants have the biggest threat.

Posted
Monday does look intresting the band of precip looks to go no further than peterborough.

like i said earlier in this thread south leicestershire along with northants have the biggest threat.

..Thats assuming that the band remains as progged curretly. BBC expecting it to be a lot further south than progged, for example, by the GFS

In term of the modelling its 50/50 in terms of what happens over the next 24 hours. Thursday event was moved further NW, Last Mondays event was moved further SE, so just a case of waiting and watching

SK

Posted

I think we will be ok tomorrow night, it seems the band of rain/sleet/snow will get here about 6pm, as long as it arrives after dark then we should get snow.

Posted
Unfortunately the cloud cover predicted by the BBC forecasts this morning doesn't seem to have materialised so far, expecting a substantial thaw today.

Total cloudcover here,not the best time to arrive as it`ll still be thawing.

1.9c

GFS looks similar.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

According to the Meto we miss out on tomorrows snow now...This is rubbish again...

Posted

If any body lives near the Chiltern Hills I fully recommend going up there. A good 6-7 inches of level snow and upto 10 inches in drifts :) Beautiful!!!