Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted
Several flakes of snow last night so I've been spoilt but its freezing, minus 1 at mo

Latest BBC forecast indicating Monday morning might be interesting. Inevitably I'll get rain, sleet at best but at least we are getting opportunities time after time

Yeah it's getting a bit silly in this part of the world now. (a paltry inch last sunday into monday which was duly washed away within 24hrs) Event after event has somehow avoided east suffolk and i'm afraid it's got all the tell tale signs of another cold rain event here. I'm still holding out for a true NE, that seems to be the only way we can get a decent snowfall over here. Even last sunday's ENE seemed to shunt everything too far south. Sorry about the rant but i have never experienced anything quite like this in terms of near misses! :o :o

Would be interesting to hear others thoughts on whats going to happen sunday into monday?

Posted
Yeah it's getting a bit silly in this part of the world now. (a paltry inch last sunday into monday which was duly washed away within 24hrs) Event after event has somehow avoided east suffolk and i'm afraid it's got all the tell tale signs of another cold rain event here. I'm still holding out for a true NE, that seems to be the only way we can get a decent snowfall over here. Even last sunday's ENE seemed to shunt everything too far south. Sorry about the rant but i have never experienced anything quite like this in terms of near misses! :o :o

Would be interesting to hear others thoughts on whats going to happen sunday into monday?

well it started off so promising here in the south east after a big dumping of snow early last week since mon/tues after that we have missed out on it and i cant see us getting anymore that will settle unless we get a east/or northeast air flow!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I completly agree with u. Its been rubbish here in sittingbourne(n Kent) As for sunday into monday its gonna be another non event with rain.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Rubbish here too , extreme event turned out to be half a day of snizzle and light snow... The heavy snow showers only lasted during the day and not overnight as the wind changed and yesterdays rain/sleet mix pretty much avoided us by many miles

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
report from se corner of northdowns 120asl, woke up to snow - and several missed calls at 2am advising me off a blizzard! we have a covering, hills look lovely - but not as much as we had sunday gone. i say about 1-2 cm, as the deeper areas appear to have drifted, we have strong gusts last night!

Hi Sarah

Much the same here for me. I stayed by the window and had a chuckle to myself on this thread as the snow came down really heavily around the time you mention. Have about the same amount as you and it is still very pretty picture postcard. Certainly not as much as earlier in the week but lovely to see nonetheless :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

suprised ive got a 92% risk of snow for tomorrow, cant see thast happening really :D

Posted

To the Guys in E Essex, E Suffolk, E Norfolk, N Kent and the Far E of Kent Coasts I will be putting my Findings Up on why we have done so so badly start of Next Week. It is not just down to the Wind Direction and You will probably find it as Fascinating as I have with what I have found out, at least 3 Factors went against us which I will show how it played out.

Paul S

Posted
To the Guys in E Essex, E Suffolk, E Norfolk, N Kent and the Far E of Kent Coasts I will be putting my Findings Up on why we have done so so badly start of Next Week. It is not just down to the Wind Direction and You will probably find it as Fascinating as I have with what I have found out, at least 3 Factors went against us which I will show how it played out.

Paul S

I look forward to this Paul...I have got my own reasonings, which I will bring up in your thread next week. :D

Posted

Paul S

Superb, cant wait for that Paul.

I wonder if the sea temps have had something to do with it aswell..

Posted

the bbc forecasting output is changing almost by the hour for sundays event and monday's in angia and the southeast. they were certainly surprised by the thursday/friday "non" event round here. currently marginal for wet snow in london sunday night, and more widespread wet snow from that little devil running to the south of us on monday. i think the only safe thing to say is that the quality of any snow we get down here will be no match for our dump from the east on monday of this week. as usual, away from the coast and altitude are the usual factors. so the detail is in the lap of the snow gods, and as is so often the case for east anglia/se snow we'll have to wait and see

Posted
suprised ive got a 92% risk of snow for tomorrow, cant see thast happening really :D

Me too, I can't see it happening either. Although if I check in the 'will it snow' section it gives me a 77% chance!

Who knows, going to go for no snow from now on and if I do get some at least I'll be pleasantly surprised. Certainly a better option than thinking it will snow and then be disappointed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Paul S

I will look forward to that and i hope the same problems don't come into play Sunday and Monday :D

Posted
You do get that feeling that people are picking up their coats and sneaking out the building on this Mon/Tue event. :)

i really cant see this hitting us i will be very suprised if it does! our best chance of snow is if the weather starts coming in from the east again!

Edited by clark3r

Posted

Paul S

Hi Paul

Very much look forward to it. :) I must say it almost seems like that if anything could of gone wrong for us it, it invariable did! Mild sectors, longer sea tracks modifying air, changes in wind directions at the wrong time and the way the systems approached the UK.

I don't like moaning about not getting snow myself especially as many many others, who don't live in the usual favourable locations (like Bristol and the west country) got loads of it! As i said before it's seems like theres been so many near misses thats bugging me. Seriously if i was to travel about 20 miles directly west of my location on monday I would of found a serious amount of snow! I can't remember the last winter when we had so many good chances only to continually scuppered!

Edited by MattS

Posted

these channell low set ups are notoriously difficult to forecast 100 miles north or south can result in a direct hit or a complete miss,i think this one might come down to nowcasting again, look what happened the other night, london was meant to get a dumping and ended up with nothing,

Posted

Yep

I know how you feel, I have to travel 20 Miles to the Station (Due West Of Me) before I board my Train and Upminster was buried in the Stuff, Just analysing a few more Charts and Skew T's before I reveal all, you would not believe how Unlucky Coastal Areas were though :):)

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Paul S

Look forward to this - and also why NW Norfolk got 4" in 1 hour on Thursday am when all around got nothing!

Posted
I'm watching the showers coming down the east coast...maybe they will bring some snow to Norfolk and parts of Suffolk later today...

Hi Paul - I also looking at those showers - I really hope I get to see at least something. On current form though they are bound to turn east just before hitting Norfolk. As for Sunday and Monday/ Tuesday events, the met office warnings (albeit form yesterday) both exclude Norfolk .... I wait to see the updated warnings... but not holding my breath. It is a beautiful gloriously sunny day outside with not a speck of snow in site ...just your average February here, though on the cold side.

Posted

met o just changed all warnings :)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=3

paul= i'm also looking forward to your finding on the no snow around coasts etc as i may now need to move house if i never have chance of snow !!!

Edited by donna-m

Posted
Yep

I know how you feel, I have to travel 20 Miles to the Station (Due West Of Me) before I board my Train and Upminster was buried in the Stuff, Just analysing a few more Charts and Skew T's before I reveal all, you would not believe how Unlucky Coastal Areas were though :):)

Paul S

I bet we were Paul! :) I heard a story from a friend of mine about this guy who travelled from Haverhill to Ipswich to work. He started out in blizzard conditions and several inches of snow, at times he was struggling to keep his car on the road. On his arrival just outside Ipswich (in his words) 'it was almost like someone had flicked a switch!' Needless to say my friend and many of his colleagues did'nt believe him!

Also remember some posting up a hi-res satellite image of the SE corner of the UK showing very clearly a snow free zone E Kent, E Essex, E Suffolk, and great swathes of Norfolk - a very unsual sight. Does anyone know hwre i might be able to see this image (sorry lost the link!)

Anyway look forward to your findings Paul

Edited by MattS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Matts i don't agree with your comment about Bristol and the West country being bad for snow, i grew up there for 21 years and we had loads of snow in the winter - almost on a weekly basis some years. Ok, i'm talking about the 70's and 80's, but the Bristol area was always in the snow belt in the scenario that we have just seen. Anything south of the Mendip Hills usually saw rain or sleet, exept in occasional cincumstances as we have just seen I have fond memories of almost getting stuck on Telegraph Hill myself with an identical weather scenario in about 1977!!. When systems hit in from the West into cold air the snow line usually moves up to Gloucester northwards with the Birmingham area getting hit - only high ground around Bristol gets the snow then, i the Severn Estuary has alot to do with this. One of the best places in this area for snow is The Forest Of Dean - i've seen megga falls there, hope this is of interest.

Posted
met o just changed all warnings :)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=3

paul= i'm also looking forward to your finding on the no snow around coasts etc as i may now need to move house if i never have chance of snow !!!

for the better by the looks of it just more on tuesday instead of monday, wider area also, interesting :)

Posted

I agree John, I have never entertained the Idea of Sunday into Monday at all. Tuesday like I said yesterday sees a Keen North Easterly and Supportive Uppers of -5, Monday looks the wrong side of marginal, maybe Sleet and Slops for here but Snow from Beds Northwards AGAIN!! God Teits must be loving this :lol:

All to play for but just check the Charts for Monday, they look all wrong for an area once again South and East of a Line from C Southern England across to the NW Of Norfolk

Paul S

Posted
Matts i don't agree with your comment about Bristol and the West country being bad for snow, i grew up there for 21 years and we had loads of snow in the winter - almost on a weekly basis some years. Ok, i'm talking about the 70's and 80's, but the Bristol area was always in the snow belt in the scenario that we have just seen. Anything south of the Mendip Hills usually saw rain or sleet, exept in occasional cincumstances as we have just seen I have fond memories of almost getting stuck on Telegraph Hill myself with an identical weather scenario in about 1977!!. When systems hit in from the West into cold air the snow line usually moves up to Gloucester northwards with the Birmingham area getting hit - only high ground around Bristol gets the snow then, i the Severn Estuary has alot to do with this. One of the best places in this area for snow is The Forest Of Dean - i've seen megga falls there, hope this is of interest.

Thanks for that Mark, Yeah maybe i was thinking of more recent years where the only opportunities of snowfall have come from a short sharp blast from the North or East. For London to be hit quite the way it did was and to get very little in this part of the world is very odd. Theres something very different to this year and almost dare i say it, almost akin to that of the 70's and 80's winters - of which i remember so fondly.

Edited by MattS