Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Ross B

Posted

Continue here please :lol:

More snow possible tomorrow! Lets hope so, i'm a little worried about the sea influence here.

Posted
Continue here please :lol:

More snow possible tomorrow! Lets hope so, i'm a little worried about the sea influence here.

No fears, East Ayrshire and South Ayrshire are in the yellow on the warnings map - guaranteed blizzards now. I can't wait and can barely contain myself.

Posted
No fears, East Ayrshire and South Ayrshire are in the yellow on the warnings map - guaranteed blizzards now. I can't wait and can barely contain myself.

:)

stirling as well - the meto are never wrong tho, are they :lol:

Posted

There is still time for that warning to dissappear. The forecast mentions "rain sleet and snow" and the warning doesn't really mention how much will fall over low ground. Sleet AGAIN likely then :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I wonder if the worst is still yet to come? Have been following this strat' warming event for weeks now and it has to be said that things are strangely different this year. Imagine - 55cms of snow in north Devon! The models do appear to be at odds somewhat but, given the events of the past week, I can't help feeling that this warming event is now just beginning to make its presence felt. If it were to occur, then I believe most of the weather will be coming from a NE/Easterly direction? this then would certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons ! You also have to take into account I think what Australia is suffering too - 117oC yesterday! Could this also be a result of the strat' warming I wonder? If I see Europe becoming much colder, then I will certainly feel more confident that something mega might occur.

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

stirling as well - the meto are never wrong tho, are they :lol:

How About West Fife Dexter, are we invited to the pending snow fest? :)

We had about a further 1.5cm this morning when it snowed from about 7am till 8am, aye ye cannae beat a good a good snow event :)

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!
I wonder if the worst is still yet to come? Have been following this strat' warming event for weeks now and it has to be said that things are strangely different this year. Imagine - 55cms of snow in north Devon! The models do appear to be at odds somewhat but, given the events of the past week, I can't help feeling that this warming event is now just beginning to make its presence felt. If it were to occur, then I believe most of the weather will be coming from a NE/Easterly direction? this then would certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons ! You also have to take into account I think what Australia is suffering too - 117oC yesterday! Could this also be a result of the strat' warming I wonder? If I see Europe becoming much colder, then I will certainly feel more confident that something mega might occur.

Thoughts anyone?

It certainly appears that the SW event is having some effect although for it to properly affect us, we would need Europe to become colder and for this cold air to advect Eastwards again. Possible. who knows ?! I have to say though this years events have been far superior to many previous years so what has changed??

Posted
You can see tomorrow's front coming in - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html

Looks pretty beefy already !

It certainly does. You would think that finally we would be able to get something, especially after the low night - time temperatures they are forecasting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
You can see tomorrow's front coming in - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html

Looks pretty beefy already !

hope so!!

and hope it gets here tomorrow night as heavy snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Currently in Stirling 3c and -3c dewpoint - it feels raw though outside...good signs if the temps fall as expected tonight.

dew point will probably not get above -2 all day tomorrow- good signs for it falling as snow

the next thing to work out will be the intensity, length and depth of any snow

the beeb seems to reckon the main front will hit the south but i think that it looks like the heaviest precip will be in central/southern scotland

actually it looks like the beeb have changed the forecast and now think that we'll bear the brunt of the snow!!!

still no warning though for us in fife

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
dew point will probably not get above -2 all day tomorrow- good signs for it falling as snow

the next thing to work out will be the intensity, length and depth of any snow

the beeb seems to reckon the main front will hit the south but i think that it looks like the heaviest precip will be in central/southern scotland

actually it looks like the beeb have changed the forecast and now think that we'll bear the brunt of the snow!!!

Excellent day here for sledging or even skiing as we have a nice but thin covering of crisp snow and the sun is shining, but not one of the local kids up on the fields/piste :)

Lazy little (Beep) :)

Big Innes

Posted

*fumes* the Kings Buildings weather station update page is still down. I'm trying to get the log file to download and see if its updating the raw data but it's taking forever. I feel like I've had a limb cut off now I have no idea what the acuall temp is haha.

Anyway, It is going to be interesting to see what this is going to do I don't ever remember a winter this cold with this much snow fall.

Posted
*fumes* the Kings Buildings weather station update page is still down. I'm trying to get the log file to download and see if its updating the raw data but it's taking forever. I feel like I've had a limb cut off now I have no idea what the acuall temp is haha.

Anyway, It is going to be interesting to see what this is going to do I don't ever remember a winter this cold with this much snow fall.

the best may still be to come

Posted

At the moment the Met Office Advisory looks as if the snow will get trapped behind the Ochils and will not affect Fife. Lets hope that this system has enough oomph to push its way fully across and out into the north sea.

Posted
the best may still be to come
I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I do hope so, we did however have a pretty good covering on Monday so I'm happy I've seen more snow the last week then I have since I was a wee kiddy! haha. I'm just irritated I can't see whats going on where I am data wise. Aparently the station isn't updatig at all and has crashed so I don't know when and if its going to be fixed, well to be honest it has to be fixed they'll need it for teaching.
Close up of the front

Rain or snow???

Whatever it is it looks hefty.

Posted

Looking at the close up again, there is snow (streamers) ahead and behind the main band. If that main front is snow-laden it will drop tons of the white stuff! It's a HUGE front.

Posted

Hey cwpiper - just curious as to where you seen this mate? Was it the TV forecast? Just wondering as the BBC site only has a warning out for Central and Northern England despite the fact the MO has one for Southern Scotland too!

Posted

Just been checking out the ski cams - where have the mountains gone?

http://www.winterhighland.info/testcam/ssc.jpeg

White Lady is a bit of a white out:

http://www.winterhighland.info/testcam/lady.jpeg

Ok, what about out the window at the Ptarmigan restaurant:

http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk//webcam/ptarmigan.jpg

Hmm....

Nice satellite shot - snowfields down south are clear, plus if you peer through the clouds you can see most of north Scotland covered too:

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/real...ent/n1bcurr.jpg

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

The front looks to be moving quicker than was forecast (IMO) - The temps here are due to fall to around -5/-6 overnight, so it "could" be a major snow day tomorrow for some of us.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

i fully expect that the met-office will update there warning later on this evening. i don't think they will leave things as they stand we should be better informed before 10pm if things haven't changed on the met-office then i think its a matter of some happy and some not. in regards to snow