Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
Just been checking out the ski cams - where have the mountains gone?

http://www.winterhighland.info/testcam/ssc.jpeg

White Lady is a bit of a white out:

http://www.winterhighland.info/testcam/lady.jpeg

Ok, what about out the window at the Ptarmigan restaurant:

http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk//webcam/ptarmigan.jpg

Hmm....

Nice satellite shot - snowfields down south are clear, plus if you peer through the clouds you can see most of north Scotland covered too:

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/real...ent/n1bcurr.jpg

Beautiful isn't it. Looks like this season will be a cracker - hopefully will last through to may like last year (cairngorm still had skiing in may, but shut because people were thinking about BBQs and the beach).

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

this is a now cast from the met-office i still expect a further update tonight?

Posted

12z GFS showing Tuesday to be of interest too - in the east:

Low pressure over Kent:

post-1217-1234025283_thumb.png

And precipitation type at the same time, midday:

post-1217-1234025309_thumb.png

What an interesting week ahead! :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
You are a gem! Thank you very much!

yep, thanks shugee

i hope that your forecast works out for us all, and the snow is heavy

i must say that if temps are low enough atlantic snow tends to be fairly heavy and give big dumpings of snow :shok:

eg. march 2006's snow came from the west

it was the 12th, i think, so it came late

Rrea00120060312.gif

slightly different set up but a similar idea

Posted

The hi-res sat shot has just updated. Doesn't show as well this time round, but what it does show closely are the streamers ahead of the front, which I reckon are snow filled. So we may get hefty snow showers initially, then it's either a huge dumping of snow thereafter, or plain rain

12z GFS showing Tuesday to be of interest too - in the east:

Low pressure over Kent:

post-1217-1234025283_thumb.png

And precipitation type at the same time, midday:

post-1217-1234025309_thumb.png

What an interesting week ahead! :shok:

Nice day to be off work :o

Posted

Tomorrow Snow event could be interesting for Glasgow and East Kilbride because both are on the borderline for either sleet or snow :)

Posted
Tomorrow Snow event could be interesting for Glasgow and East Kilbride because both are on the borderline for either sleet or snow :)

yes it will be interesting to watch this pan out. would be feeling more down the further west i was

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
yes it will be interesting to watch this pan out. would be feeling more down the further west i was

You can't really say that yet. Let's see how the temps and dp's fair in the next few hours. Mainland Scotland even to the west should see snow IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

-0.3 C and falling, dewpoint -3.3. Frosting up nicely.

Tomorrows event looks great for here. Just hope it stays snowy and we don't end up with a damp dissapointment like last week.

Posted
You can't really say that yet. Let's see how the temps and dp's fair in the next few hours. Mainland Scotland even to the west should see snow IMO.

sorry mate i am only really going with the met-office at the moment and the direction of incoming event your right with what u are saying but will be watching the met very closely tonight

Posted
Looking here:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

The west coast (Ireland & some Scottish islands) temps seem a bit high for snow right now. Scotland mainland west coast is ok right now - with night coming it may drop a bit more there before the front arrives, we'll have to see if the temps rise with the arrival of the front. Subzero temps already heading down from the north to the central areas. A whole heap more snow for the ski resorts coming...

I remember the big front that came over (early Dec I think), Aberdeen was meant to see snow, then to rain, then maybe back to snow. As it happens it stayed as snow all the way through and we got quite a dumping.

Just back from visiting my grandparents who stay in Mastrick - there is over a foot of snow there - couldn't believe it when i got there! 120m

Posted

I hope so but it does look a bit marginal at the moment with the 850 temps in particular. Will be extremely frustrating if Western Scotland misses out while not far East catches loads of snow! And then again on Tuesday possibly. Time will tell I guess.

Posted

:huh: netweather.tv is giving Glasgow a 82% chance of snow tonight and a downgrade for tomorrow huh?

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx2

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted
Just back from visiting my grandparents who stay in Mastrick - there is over a foot of snow there - couldn't believe it when i got there! 120m

A small change in altitude can make a huge difference here. Go to the highest point on Anderson Drive and they can have snow, when we in the centre, spitting distance from the harbour, have none.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
sorry mate i am only really going with the met-office at the moment and the direction of incoming event your right with what u are saying but will be watching the met very closely tonight

I wouldn't hold out too much hope with them updating anything later on! I would say trust the judgement of guys on here that's better if you ask me :) . Temp is fast falling away now. 0.8C and there is still snow lying in my garden :huh:

Posted

I'd say there was about 10% chance it is rain in EK tomorrow, not marginal at all :huh: It's marginal near the coasts though, i think Ayr/Prestwick etc will struggle, they may just end up with rain/sleet. More likely to be a mix of sleet and snow here but we shall see what happens!

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

I see its snowing in aberdeen again. Mother inlaw just called, big fat flakes she said. lol