Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Ta Ross

noggin: I think its going to hit the midlands north more... although I did say that about this last bout and looks where that got me... :lol:

Posted

Hmmmm, I'll do it again, then..

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

Get back to you in a mo, Matt.

Ta Ross

noggin: I think its going to hit the midlands north more... although I did say that about this last bout and looks where that got me... :lol:

Well, say it again, then. :)

Let's hope it doesn't go northwards, I haven't had enough yet, although driving is a nightmare as I am out early in the morning and late at night, with work.

Just re-read that.....sounds awful!!!! It's not what it might seem, honest! :)

Wanted to say "thanks" Matt for your suggestion to ring the garage yesterday re the car. He was glad of the work as most people had cancelled their services etc. due to the weather. Had to trudge two miles in the snow though, doesn't have make your legs ache! Still, car is now OK. :)

Posted

Looks like rain tomorrow and all snow gone by monday here in Swansea.

Is there any way we can stop the gulf stream for january and february??

Global warming to melt more of the arctic ice, and provide more cold water into the top end of the gulf stream, effectively stopping it ... and hey presto -20 average dec / jan / feb temperatures ... the numbers wont be signifying inches but metres instead!!!

Whats the general opinion here?? for tomorrow ?? 100% rain rain rain... grey sky ... misery doom and gloom??

Am addicted now ,had a few days of the white stuff ..need another hit!!!

Posted

Oh no! not more snow :lol: I only just managed to get the car out of the estate this afternoon, had to dig it out! I'm supposed to go up to the pre-school on Monday to dig a path through the snow, won't bother if its going to snow on top :)

Is it supposed to turn to rain soon after though?

There is no way that South Wales will be effected by the snow event tomorrow. (as per last Thursday)

Seriously there remains a chance but I do think that coastal areas of south Wales may miss out, although inland and hilly area may do a bit better but going by the comment on the Beeb forecasts they are not totally sure, (but then again neither are we) and theey are going for lighter percip anyway compare to GFS.

As for mondays event, GFS has it too far north with rain for south Wales, UKMO has it staying dry, hopefully they will meet in the middle and we will get the worst.

Certainly interesting to see the latest models when they come out later.

Posted

Lots of potential for Wales for Monday. I would ignore the current GFS run, it's an outlier and the GFS in general is at odds with other models who have the cold and precip further south. Could be a major event.

Posted
There is no way that South Wales will be effected by the snow event tomorrow. (as per last Thursday)

Seriously there remains a chance but I do think that coastal areas of south Wales may miss out, although inland and hilly area may do a bit better but going by the comment on the Beeb forecasts they are not totally sure, (but then again neither are we) and theey are going for lighter percip anyway compare to GFS.

As for mondays event, GFS has it too far north with rain for south Wales, UKMO has it staying dry, hopefully they will meet in the middle and we will get the worst.

Certainly interesting to see the latest models when they come out later.

What about up on top of our hill ??? 20% chance snow 80 % rain???? still a bit of confusion remains?? :):) :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :lol: :) :lol: :) :lol: :) :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Looks like rain tomorrow and all snow gone by monday here in Swansea.

Is there any way we can stop the gulf stream for january and february??

Global warming to melt more of the arctic ice, and provide more cold water into the top end of the gulf stream, effectively stopping it ... and hey presto -20 average dec / jan / feb temperatures ... the numbers wont be signifying inches but metres instead!!!

Whats the general opinion here?? for tomorrow ?? 100% rain rain rain... fkkn grey sky ... misery doom and gloom??

Am addicted now ,had a few days of the white stuff ..need another hit!!!

It is not certain that we have rain tomorrow, although rain or sleet is the most likely, but with a good freeze tonight, and hopefully some snow will last, before hopefully our next topup on Monday.

Posted

noggin: Glad you got the car sorted out! and I won't ask what work! :lol:

As for more snow... I'm still in two minds (its still snowing here, albeit lightly) the inner child in me loves it, but in reality this is the 21st century, and I can't remained cut off for ever! - Although I'm guessing sooner or later someone will plough the road, be it the council or a local farmer.

What about up on top of our hill ??? 20% chance snow 80 % rain???? still a bit of confusion remains?? :):) :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :lol: :) :lol: :) :lol: :) :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Proabably about right, and quite possibly a snow to rain event as it should be cold to start, before rising up to 5c later, however if this event passed through overnight, it would be a different matter.

Posted

What if it comes earlier? and therefore temps will be cooler? With this weeks record it could be a very likely possibility?. Also i live in the Amman Valley what's the chances of it being snow up here? A lot more altitude than swansea ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Very heavy snow in Narberth about 30 mins ago, easily 10mm in 15 mins. Unfortunetly here in Mlford the temp is 5.0c higher :-(

woody

Posted
Proabably about right, and quite possibly a snow to rain event as it should be cold to start, before rising up to 5c later, however if this event passed through overnight, it would be a different matter.

It has been suprising of late to see the forecasters (sky /bbc) be so far out with their predictions.

Ever since 87 Michael Fish i have thought that they are overly cautious... eg showing a temp maybe a degree below what its likely to be , showing more rain / snow than is likely to happen , showing a degree or so above the highest tempsthan what actually happens.

A kind of nanny state style weather forecast if you like.

What about for the rest of the month??

Have we had the worst of it??

It seems that whatever happens, the day time temperatures cant seem to dip below 1 or 2 degrees with an average of 3 ish of late.

I would have thought this northerly air flow would have lowered the temps a few degrees more??

At least thats what global warming enthusiasts are saying, in an attempt to explain the coldest winter for 10 years or so??

Posted

Just saw the forecast for Monday on BBC News24 and they had the "collision" right over us, showing quite a large area of snow on the map. I hope they have it right, although I am aware that we can't really know for sure until it happens. Or doesn't happen, depending on whether your luck is in or out!

Posted

Temperature up here hasn't been above 1.5C for 6 days, infact two days (tuesday and wednesday) the temperature didn't get about -2C.

Posted
What if it comes earlier? and therefore temps will be cooler? With this weeks record it could be a very likely possibility?. Also i live in the Amman Valley what's the chances of it being snow up here? A lot more altitude than swansea ?

Im not going to miss out !! Hired a load of scaffolding from speedy hire , going to the top of my hill and i reckon if i build it a good 70 metres or so , i might get a pasting .

However im worried i may get carted off by the men in white coats , this may mean i miss out.

The leading edge cannot be allowed to pass !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
Im not going to miss out !! Hired a load of scaffolding from speedy hire , going to the top of my hill and i reckon if i build it a good 70 metres or so , i might get a pasting .

However im worried i may get carted off by the men in white coats , this may mean i miss out.

The leading edge cannot be allowed to pass !!!

I really think that is a silly post. You must learn that you need to have your swimming trunks on as well, just to make sure! :lol: :)

woody

Posted

Afternoon peeps

Just looked out the window and there is a fresh covering of snow in fields on the hills around Llanmiloe between Laugharne and Pendine, they've had showers off and on all day, and another one has just blown in there now.

We have had a few sleety-Hail showers here earlier, nothing else seems to be making its way here now on the radar, its just typical last night the showers were missing me to the east and today the showers are missing me the the west.

Edited by KidCarm

Posted
I really think that is a silly post. You must learn that you need to have your swimming trunks on as well, just to make sure! :lol: :)

woody

Hahahaha why don't we all chip in for a helicopter and fly to Pen y Fan?

Posted

back working in pwllheli on monday ..what's it looking like ....wev'e had some hairy journey's last week driving between bala and transfynydd :lol:

Posted

Not strictly on topic, but intriguing none the less...

The Met statement here seems to sum up their ability.

"There were 16 tropical storms, of which eight developed into hurricanes, throughout the season. An estimated $54 billion of damage was caused. In our forecast, issued on 18 June, we estimated 15 tropical storms for the July to November period - exactly the number observed during that time."

:)

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
  • Location: Chepstow - Where The Wye Meets The Severn ... about 0m asl
  • Location: Chepstow - Where The Wye Meets The Severn ... about 0m asl

"There were 16 tropical storms, of which eight developed into hurricanes, throughout the season. An estimated $54 billion of damage was caused. In our forecast, issued on 18 June, we estimated 15 tropical storms for the July to November period - exactly the number observed during that time."

:)

HHAHAHAHAHAHA thats hillarious but soo true

:):)

:D

Without checking I guess there was one tropical storm in June.