Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arctic Dorset

Posted

Sorry in advance for being totally indulgent.

But here in Dorset snow is rare at the best of times and if we get a couple of cm's it's a major win.

After having lots of snow though I was finally able to get upto the hill behind my house with my two oldest.

The road that you can see is one of the two major Shaftesbury/Blandford roads, with the snow on the road well over 1 metre deep. There isn't a bank under that snow as it's on/blocking one of the road lanes.

It's the first time I've seen a standing snow angel attempted.! and over 200 photos taken to preserve the event.

If the current charts come off for the next week or so this might well be increased.

post-6326-1234077830_thumb.jpg

post-6326-1234077858_thumb.jpg

post-6326-1234077882_thumb.jpg

post-6326-1234077932_thumb.jpg

post-6326-1234077979_thumb.jpg

post-6326-1234078018_thumb.jpg

post-6326-1234078047_thumb.jpg

Posted
The road that you can see is one of the two major Shaftesbury/Blandford roads,

Hi Iceburg ....my mum lives in Shillingstone ....she describes the road to Sturminster Newton in a similar fshion. Have you climbed up Hod or Hambledon Hills in this snow ? ...it must be fantastic

Posted

Thanks for the comments.

Yep been up Hambledon many times as it's great for sledging. I've not had time at the moment though. I've heard that the blandford/Stur road has been closed a few times last week.

Only been waiting 20 years !. But I hope everybody else gets their share as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Fantastic Iceberg. Somerset provided me with the most snow I have ever seen on low ground (on high ground was 3 feet in the Peak District!). 55cm in Okehampton is incredible. And people say this cold spell isn't that great...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Just as surprising as the dumping of snow we had here on Friday is that it is still here on roofs and pavements where the sun hasn't got to. Its been years since we've had snow fall that hasn't melted straight away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Wow, it looks fantastic. We travel that road regularly, down to Poole to visit the outlaws, only last Sunday as we went down, we were speculating what this week would bring up there. I'd love to build a house at the spot by the airfield, looking down the valley, amazing views to wake up to everyday. Not so sure I'd like to have gone down Spreadeagles this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Great to see all that Dorset snow.

Looks much more than my winter there in 86-7 but my

I was cold in a student flat with no heating.

The water supply was frozen up and I had flu too.

Ahhh, happy days, lol.

BL. :rolleyes:

Posted

Good to see all that snow "back home!" I'd imagine the county looks great with it all!

I got a phone call from someone at my school (Milton Abbey) yesterday telling me that the school was completely cut off by snow! We always got told it happened about 1 in 8 years, but it never happened in my 5 years there! Wish I was there somehow!

Posted

Lovely pictures,im 3 miles from East Dorset,10 miles South Of Wiltshire so have got some of both counties weather plus my own in Hampshire seventh day of proper lying snow here quite remarkable for this area.

Posted

Just come back over the mendips and the road to cheddar is very similar. It will be weeks before some of that snow goes.

Posted

Thanks again for the comments, I have to go up there on my way to work every day and just have to put up with those views. :o

Just been upto Shaftesbury to buy a few essentials and that town is still badly hit, in the Tesco's supermarket there are mounds of snow over 2 metres high !, which certainly will take awhile to melt, I think stuff will still be around at the start of spring.

Posted

Staggering pics in regards to the amount of snow and it makes it more wacky when its in Devon! Thanks for sharing these pics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
Thanks again for the comments, I have to go up there on my way to work every day and just have to put up with those views. :D

Just been upto Shaftesbury to buy a few essentials and that town is still badly hit, in the Tesco's supermarket there are mounds of snow over 2 metres high !, which certainly will take awhile to melt, I think stuff will still be around at the start of spring.

Great pics.

Is there a worry that with a more northerly tracking of tuesday's Low possible, a quick melt of this could combine with heavy rain to make flooding a real hazard?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Those are great pics!! I couldnt amagine that kind of snowfall up here in gloucester!

Posted

Great pics Iceberg and thanks for sharing.

Interesting that down on the coast in Bournemouth there's been little settling snow. We did have constant snow for periods last week but the accumulations never made it over 1-2cm. I've often noticed a stark difference in weather when crossing the hills - (I suppose they're the Dorset Downs but I've never bothered to check) on the way up to Bath. Usually go on the top road from Blandford to Shaftsbury - through Melbury Abbas. Melbury can be pot luck in good weather, I wouldn't fancy that with the snow and ice around!!! Narrowly avoided getting taken out by a fast retreating burger van there once.

Posted

I saw some lovely photos of Gold Hill covered in snow last week. I love Dorset, one of my favourite English counties: great scenery and probably the best beaches in the entire country.

• European State of the Climate 2023 - Widespread flooding and severe heatwaves

The annual ESOTC is a key evidence report about European climate and past weather. High temperatures, heatwaves, wildfires, torrential rain and flooding, data and insight from 2023, Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Chilly with an increasing risk of frost

Once Monday's band of rain fades, the next few days will be drier. However, it will feel cool, even cold, in the breeze or under gloomy skies, with an increasing risk of frost. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dubai Floods: Another Warning Sign for Desert Regions?

The flooding in the Middle East desert city of Dubai earlier in the week followed record-breaking rainfall. It doesn't rain very often here like other desert areas, but like the deadly floods in Libya last year showed, these rain events are likely becoming more extreme due to global warming. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 2