Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
just snow falling now no sleet

You're in for a treat, doesn't sound like you're far behind us. Here we're just crossing past freezing point as we speak - judging by Vaisala lol, but also by fact that snow starting to settle properly on roof. Also getting gradually heavier, and with strong icy winds feels like quite an event now. It's all snow from here on in, question is how much........

Well i think this as the potential to be the biggest **** up ever my met office! Heavy drifting snow??? Cough cough!!

Wait till tomorrow you before you say things like that

I have just driven down from Nottingham to Kettering and it was snowing around jct 19 M1 and along the A14. Not the sort that settles yet. The temp hovering between 0 and 1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

definitely sleeting now, 1.4C temp slowly dropping, still have bits of snow from last week, bbc radar i think looks pants for N midlands the snow is south

i had proper snow at 1.8C yesterday and it was sticking, 1.4C now just sleet

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
And this will be you when it starts snowing in Leicester and Harrogate miss out on the heavy PPN....

Given.jpg

LOL! And you think that looks like me!!!!???????

n514507159_1792578_2851.jpg

n514507159_2016722_723.jpg

Not much of a likeness there then! :doh:

The snow continues to approach Harrogate :)

I may get 2cm from this mamma :lol:

Posted
rain has now turned to snow here in Milton Keynes

Great news. Just down the road from here!

Problem is, Look East talked of it turning to rain later. BBC seem convinced of this across all of their forecasts. :doh:

Posted
As for blizzards, here's from wiki: "the Met Office defines a blizzard as "moderate or heavy snow" combined with a mean wind speed of 30 mph (48 km/h) and visibility below 650 feet (200 m)".

Moderate snow - check

Mean wind speed of 30 mph - not far off, can hear wind "roaring" from inside

Visibility below 200m - check

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Sorry there mods got a bit carried away in all the excitement.

Very good news tonight re. the channel low, we now have this 50 miles further N and this is making all the difference. All models now are moving N in line with each other, except for one model which has remained steady throughout - the ECM. Now, this might make you think it must be wrong but IMO this may not be the case. All other models have shifted about a lot (and are still shifting) except the ECM which has kept consistent:

(chart of the day for Yorkshire and Durham): http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_urkom...208_1200_36.png

We may see that this trend continues N and we see the ECM right in the end, on the other hand the ECM may back down. But its consistency must mean something and it is the most reliable model in general.

Other two great pieces of news tonight are the GFS 18z, which only needs another 20 miles for a snow fest for all of N Yorks even, and the UKMO, which is almost identical :doh:

Need I say more? Egg on face for Yeti.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
You're in for a treat, doesn't sound like you're far behind us. Here we're just crossing past freezing point as we speak - judging by Vaisala lol, but also by fact that snow starting to settle properly on roof. Also getting gradually heavier, and with strong icy winds feels like quite an event now. It's all snow from here on in, question is how much........

according to the radar the heavier ppn goes south, does any1 no if it will extend northwards?????

Posted

gotta love british placenames. some of the mountain names, such as cockley crag, make me chuckle. apparently, theres a road called cockbush avenue, and places called pratts bottom and cock pond, aswell as herberts hole and thong. classic. :doh:

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Front appears to be starting to push north a bit now looking at the latest radar picture.

Temperature is currently 2.1c here and steady so it's going to be very borderline; evaporative cooling may help in the heavier bursts, that is, if the precipitation actually makes it this far north - it's moving east at a fair pace too.

Posted

Not much of a likeness there then! :doh:

I may get 2cm from this mamma :lol:

Does no one agree with me that he looks like Shay Given? :):) :lol: Dead Ringer!!!!

Posted

Not much of a likeness there then! :lol:

I may get 2cm from this mamma :)

Just abit fit :doh: :lol:

And yes, its Shay!!!!

Edited by WestMidlandsWeather

Posted
Need I say more? Egg on face for Yeti.

Haha you loser you just spent 10 mins looking through different threads for the egg!!!

No be fair that was on the Yorkshire thread - if you can't ramp there than where can you? :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
I think you exaggerate when you say 'ground covered with snow'. I was up around Bicester yesterday, which seems to be very close to Ambrosden, and the snow cover was the same as ours in Oxford, decent in areas but clear or at best slushy on roads, pavements, some roofs etc. And it must have suffered somewhat today in the rain. All I'm sayin is that the old snow does not really at this stage constitute a satisfactory and widespread base for new wet snow.

Having said this, our ppn, which was virtually snow a few minutes ago, has changed back to being rain.

I'm going to bed for a couple of hours.

Yes slushy on treated roads and some pavements but covering at least 85%. To me thats ground covered in snow

I will conceded at Bicester shopping centre today, there was no snow on the main foot ways assume it had been cleared and no snow inside the shops ?

Still snowing here :D

Posted
Haha you loser you just spent 10 mins looking through different threads for the egg!!!

No be fair that was on the Yorkshire thread - if you can't ramp there than where can you? :D

Haha I did, but yes it was on there but you still got wounded as we used to say in primary school :p Ahhhhh Wooouundedd!!!

Just abit fit :D:D

And yes, its Shay!!!!

Hope you are a girl :lol:

Posted

Please could we all spare a moments thought for Sammy Snowman whose head has just fallen off :D

Oh, and another thought for my weather station which seems to think it's 9.5c outside... no wonder it's still raining :lol:

sammyrip.jpg

Edited by Nabraxas

Posted

No be fair that was on the Yorkshire thread - if you can't ramp there than where can you? :D

according to the met office, we should expect slushy falls. great :lol:

Posted
Haha I did, but yes it was on there but you still got wounded as we used to say in primary school :D Ahhhhh Wooouundedd!!!

Hope you are a girl :D

Hang on a minute, snowing in Yorkshire, raining heavily in the Midlands....

Not wounded yet mate! :lol: :p:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Careful Andy, you could have the PC brigade after you!

Posted
Haha I did, but yes it was on there but you still got wounded as we used to say in primary school :p Ahhhhh Wooouundedd!!!

Nope, luckily I was joking! :D

Still snow in North Brum!

Also, thats a little homophobic! BAN HIM!!! :lol:

Edited by WestMidlandsWeather

Posted
Please could we all spare a moments thought for Sammy Snowman whose head has just fallen off :D

Oh, and another thought for my weather station which seems to think it's 9.5c outside... no wonder it's still raining :p

You'll have to blame Andy for all that shameless ramping last night I'm afraid.

:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just to help out a few posters who seem to be lost, the Banter thread is this way-------> Banter

Sorry, but this 'weather' thread is starting to get cluttered with nonsense and totally irrelevant posts....C'mon chaps, sort it out!