Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5th snow event here in South Northants in a week. 2 inches last Sunday night, another 2 inches monday day and night, 4-5 inches Wednesday night and another 4-5 inches Thursday night, and now 2 inches and counting tonight! Cant ever remember a week like it, and im a 70's and 80's child.

And after tomorrow night...well :fool:

Posted

yea it's nearly finished here now! we have had a great time! Im hoping as it moves east u lot will have a whole load of fun watching this like i have! :fool:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

i dunno if this is off topic im no forecaster by no means...but since the start of this cold snap i reckon the metoffice and bbc have got it spot on for coventry..and metcheck have been a total disaster in terms of forecasting and net-weather is strange they had no warnings at all for the heavy snow for midlands till the last hour or so..i guess for 2mmra night im going to stick wid meoffice warning for heavy snow!!!

Posted
Back to real snow now and settling on existing snow, the BBC suggested this would have moved through here by now

, :fool: ........no way does it make sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
And after tomorrow night...well :fool:

Why are you rolling your eyes??

usually,Northamptonshire misses most of the bad weather, but this week we have been the worse hit.

seems some midlanders are crying because we have got it worse than them!!!

Posted
i dunno if this is off topic im no forecaster by no means...but since the start of this cold snap i reckon the metoffice and bbc have got it spot on for coventry..and metcheck have been a total disaster in terms of forecasting and net-weather is strange they had no warnings at all for the heavy snow for midlands till the last hour or so..i guess for 2mmra night im going to stick wid meoffice warning for heavy snow!!!

Met Office have been spot on with this snow since it started last week.

GFS has been useless

Posted

usually,Northamptonshire misses most of the bad weather, but this week we have been the worse hit.

Agree actually. Quite a disappointing attitude from a few members this evening. It's not often these parts experience such significant snowfall and when it does happen instead of people being happy for you, it's "oh, don't worry, heavy rain will wash it all away tomorrow!"

Posted

No no no, I'm not jealous! I meant it in amazement and disbelief at just how much snow you could end up with. We could both end up with a major dumping. It just shows how great this winter is when you say you have lived through the winters of the 70s and 80s. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression! :clap::drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
" 2 cm? don't you mean an inch? lol! :drunk:

Nice one :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

All stopped again now! I think that will be it now tonight! A better event for some than I expected! Enjoy everyone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Gone back to rain now :drunk:

Posted
Met Office have been spot on with this snow since it started last week.

GFS has been useless

Indeed so. I think the human input makes all the difference. In less clear cut/more marginal setups the GFS cannot cope. And I say marginal with trepidation, because what the GFS deemed the wrong side of marginal became an extreme weather event for many.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!
A small covering now on thepavements here, the snow has slowed a bit - please tell me there is more to come and this is jut the start!!!!

Stopped now here.

So you got another 1/2 hr or so .

Maybe not ... snowing heavy here now

Edited by ECHOBASE1975MK6

Posted
Indeed so. I think the human input makes all the difference. In less clear cut/more marginal setups the GFS cannot cope. And I say marginal with trepidation, because what the GFS deemed the wrong side of marginal became an extreme weather event for many.

stopping here now, i can see your part of NN2 from my high advantage point. :drunk:

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Dad said theres 1 1/2 inches in Coventry, so similar to Bed'th!

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

ECM for tomorrow night:

http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_urkom...208_1200_36.png

Pretty far N compared to GFS operational (ensembles agree with UKMO, ECM, NOGAPS and JMA)

ISSUED SUNDAY EVENING.

Snow tonight should only give mainly light falls before dying out. Then the obvious major problem is the deep low expected to move up the English Channel on Monday night and move away on Tuesday. Is the air cold enough to give heavy snow? I think here in Rutland it may just be. Also gales for a time seem a near certainty, with drifting. After this back to cold northerly winds with frosts at night and a slow daytime thaw, also a few wintry showers especially early and late in the period.

Monday 9th: A light southeasterly increasing fresh. Early hazy sunshine. More cloudy later with an 80% risk of sleet or snow. Max 3C (37F) after a Min of Ms 01C (30F) and more ice.

Tuesday 10th: A fresh to strong easterly wind backing gale force northerly around dawn then easing. An 80% risk of sleet or snow clearing to sunny spells around midday, some may well drift. Max 3C (37F) after a Min of 0C (32F). Disruption could easily occur.

Paul Bartlett going for possible disruption in rutland northampshire not far from me so looking great for most of us in here, this guy usually favours mild weather too so if he thinks the air is cold enough for snow i just cant understand all these the air is too mild comments in other threads, it plainly isn't, this cold air has been locked in for a week now.

http://www.rutnet.co.uk/pp/gold/viewgold.asp?id=7

Posted
ECM for tomorrow night:

Pretty far N compared to GFS operational (ensembles agree with UKMO, ECM, NOGAPS and JMA)

If thats right were all in for heavy rain

Paul Bartlett going for possible disruption in rutland northampshire not far from me so looking great for most of us in here, this guy usually favours mild weather too so if he thinks the air is cold enough for snow i just cant understand all these the air is too mild comments in other threads, it plainly isn't, this cold air has been locked in for a week now.

http://www.rutnet.co.uk/pp/gold/viewgold.asp?id=7

cold air locked in for a week?? it was 5c here yesterday, and as we all know temp can go from 0-5c in an hour or visa versa

Posted
ECM for tomorrow night:

Where would the snow line be on that? Birmingham northwards? Stoke northwards? Looks like extremely heavy snow for me if it is cold enough!

Posted
stopping here now, i can see your part of NN2 from my high advantage point. :cold:

Yeah, visibility was very poor for a time earlier. Didn't stop people venturing onto the roads though!