Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted

One sleety flake falling now and again at intermittant periods of about 20 seconds.... is that classed as falling snow? lol

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Light Snow here ATM current Temp 1.8c DP -2. :aggressive:

Nice to see it falling before we say a very unwelcome hello

To Mild Rubbish LoL.Cannot complain though really enjoyed this Cold

Spell even if it did not deliver all that much Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

im in the lowest part of rochdale at the mo, no idea of the elevation but it is like drizzle with the odd flake mixed in. not sure of temp etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

very light snow here, and very small flakes rather than granular. Has been snwoing on and off since about 2:30. Quite weird watching and thinking "is that all - usually get far more" :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Just a few flakes falling earlier, but at least that makes it the 20th day of falling snow this season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Its been raining very lightly in Heswall, but 7 miles towards Chester it was trying to snow, strange how the coast influences things that much.

It was 5C when I got home (west Wirral) and 1C in Burton (south Wirral)

Posted

Few snow flurries here today, flakes did get quite fat at one point, and looked like we were going to see a more prolonged period of snow, but the heavy stuff was further east from here. Its been cold all day, not above 1oC. Roll on the next cold spell

Posted

Seems we held on to a bit more colder air the rest of Cumbria as we saw snow off and off for much of daylight hours, admittedly it was very light this morning, however around 3-4pm we did see a heavier burst which left to my surprise a slight cover - really wasn't expecting it to hang around so long. Also a very cold day can't think it got much above 2 degrees today. Beeb have been caught out by todays events, they were just forecasting the dd wintry shower and bright spell yesterday, it has been a totally overcast day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Time to shut this down I think, it's the end of the cold/possible snow for this spell

Posted
Very interesting temperature wise last night. Was about 2.4C around sunset, 7C by midnight and just below 0C just after dawn

Umm, yeah, I went to bed at 1.00am temperature was reading 7c, thought sensor was playing up!

Posted

Remarkably here it's 9.1C. I always check and recheck local stations, official stations etc, and I'm always constantly checking/rechecking the sensor to see if it has any excess light/sunshine or even warmed water droplets on it but today I can find absolutely no reason why it would be incorrect.

9.1C makes my location the warmest in the area right now by quite a long stretch, although thats what tends to happen around these parts - we tend to get the highest temperatures particularly just as the sun starts rising again.

Really very interesting though!

Posted

Can't see these snow threads being very active over the next few days with any snow restricted to the highest spots of Scotland. Perhaps should close these threads and start new ones when the next cold spell comes along - which is looking like this time next week when the threat of snow lower down will creep back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
Can't see these snow threads being very active over the next few days with any snow restricted to the highest spots of Scotland. Perhaps should close these threads and start new ones when the next cold spell comes along - which is looking like this time next week when the threat of snow lower down will creep back.

I would close it and open again next December, because we ain't gonna get any snow (certainly not here anyway)this winter

Posted
I would close it and open again next December, because we ain't gonna get any snow (certainly not here anyway)this winter

I can understand your frustrations based on the NW being the one part of england along with very far sw of country i.e. cornwall and also coastal parts of east anglia seen the least snow amounts compared to the rest of england. However, please don't give up just yet, late feb-mid march in recent years has delivered plenty of cold and snowy weather, especially 2004, 2005 and 2006, and last easter delivered. If anything I expect more snow nowadays during said period than at any other stage of the winter, only takes air of a polar origin to establish itself during this period and the odds of snow go sky high - the seas begin at there coldest the arctic at its coldest and combined with a higher sun - convection appears.

Posted
I can understand your frustrations based on the NW being the one part of england along with very far sw of country i.e. cornwall and also coastal parts of east anglia seen the least snow amounts compared to the rest of england. However, please don't give up just yet, late feb-mid march in recent years has delivered plenty of cold and snowy weather, especially 2004, 2005 and 2006, and last easter delivered. If anything I expect more snow nowadays during said period than at any other stage of the winter, only takes air of a polar origin to establish itself during this period and the odds of snow go sky high - the seas begin at there coldest the arctic at its coldest and combined with a higher sun - convection appears.

....but cover doesn't last long!

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted
....but cover doesn't last long!

Yes admittedly with long sustained sunshine the snow cover can quickly diminsh but much depends on the depth of snow, above 4 inches and the sun really is still too weak to have an effect, also deep polar uppers help the snow compact at night, I think back to early March 2004 right on the coast in Sunderland we saw about 5 days with snowcover and that was under bright blue skies and wall to wall sunshine. Without sunshine the chances increase higher but very much dependent on how cold the uppers are, if it is a deep arctic polar plunge snowcover will last in late feb-early March.