Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted
Apparently the main stuff is still some way off yet and still forming out at sea. But there are some pretty intense echoes in the south west corner though which should make things interesting for you late afternoon.

Apparently, the latest charts are saying that its not going further north than expected. :o

Bringing the snow line further south.

will keep you informed of any developments

Rain getting a little heavier as i type.still got 8 inches though :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I dont think we'll be getting those intense echoes, even if it didn't die off by the time it reached us.

I dont think much of todays/tonights event to be honest, some places will get snow but along the coast it's a big ask given the temperature and dewpoint today far exceed the limits of what is needed.

Current temperatures 3.7C with current dewpoint of 1.5C

As for tomorrow there are warnings out for NW England and Merseyside is left out thats either because we should miss the precipitation, or it should fall as plain old rain.

But hey it's another sunny day today :o

Posted

Latest Manchester TAF

Becoming

from 09 at 19 UTC to 09 at 22 UTC

Wind 10 kt from east/northeast

Visibility 6000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft

light rain snow

Probability 30%

from 09 at 21 UTC to 10 at 05 UTC

Visibility 3000 m

Broken clouds at a height of 600 ft

rain snow and snow

I dont think we'll be getting those intense echoes, even if it didn't die off by the time it reached us.

I dont think much of todays/tonights event to be honest, some places will get snow but along the coast it's a big ask given the temperature and dewpoint today far exceed the limits of what is needed.

Current temperatures 3.7C with current dewpoint of 1.5C

As for tomorrow there are warnings out for NW England and Merseyside is left out thats either because we should miss the precipitation, or it should fall as plain old rain.

But hey it's another sunny day today :o

Well I'm not expecting much if anything here in north Cheshire. I noticed that Merseyside was left off last night but wasn't sure whether that was an error. I can't see some magic snowline appearing between Halton and Liverpool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Well I'm not expecting much if anything here in north Cheshire. I noticed that Merseyside was left off last night but wasn't sure whether that was an error. I can't see some magic snowline appearing between Halton and Liverpool.

Sometimes that#s the problem, Cheshire is a fairly big county, and the forecast could mean southern Cheshire rather than northern/western Cheshire, which makes the area without snow look isolated :o In truth I would suggest it's the southern part of Cheshire in which that warning relates to - Whitchurch, Macclesfield way.

This is getting depressing...what must the north west do to get a decent snow fall?

Do you have a saw handy? If so free us, could be long journey though :D

Posted

Well as a cold and snow lover I never thought I would be counting down the days to spring. This as been one of the most frustrating winters I can remember, with all the right sypnotics in place, yet IMBY being the wrong location. And now looking at the models, it would appear we will be under the influence of high pressure for the next 7-10 days at least. So any chance of me seeing any worth while snow are fading fast!

Edited by Solar Cycles

Posted

It's funny because come summer any rain that come to the uk will surely hit the north west as it usually does. We seem to get the rain but once the rain becomes snow it decides that we aint good enough for it and shunts it south.

If the cold spell does dig in and we get 2 weeks worth of sub zero temps etc... and a system pushes in at the end of it would that be our best chance of snow??

Posted
It's funny because come summer any rain that come to the uk will surely hit the north west as it usually does. We seem to get the rain but once the rain becomes snow it decides that we aint good enough for it and shunts it south.

There is actually a scientific meteorological reason for this. Because the Northwest of England is sheltered it's dewpoints tend to be lower in winter, so therefore on lower ground it tends to miss out on low dewpoint precipitation bands which are usually broken up by the drier air. This doesnt occur to areas like the Pennines and high ground though usually, because their temperatures are much lower, consequently nearer to their dewpoint meaning a more moist environment resulting in snow.

In summer here we do about as well as the winter, usually we struggle to get much rain here in Wirral in the summer so we miss out on storms and the like, because our air is too dry then, again due to shelter. We only seem to get any appreciable rain in Autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Met Office have This Winter Storm Slightly Further South Now

Which is bad news for Northern parts of the Region.

However still feel the most southern Areas Cheshire,south Merseyside,and places

Like Macclesfield could be Effected not badly though I Would say about a 30% chance

of above areas getting a covering of Snow by Morning maybe 2-5cm Higher parts

Above about 250m perhaps getting another 10cm by morning.

Posted

I wonder will we get some more snow?

We still have 2-3 inches lying around on fields and slush on the roads, everything seems to be thawing now though.

Temperature has now risen to 1.1C and the dew point is 0.8C, really dense fog moved in about an hour ago.

If we do get any precipitation within the next few hours, my guess here is that it would be sleety/wet snow at the most.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Quick lunchtime post - Just seen this issued less than an hour ago for tomorrow, but I just don't buy it, expect it or believe it. Nice to be acknowledged as existing though. :cold:

North West England:

Blackpool

Cheshire

Gtr Manchester

Heavy Snow Tue 10 Feb

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of England and Wales on Tuesday. A band of rain will turn to sleet and snow in places as it moves eastwards. There is the potential for around 5 to 10cm of snow, especially over hills.

Issued at: 1127 Mon 9 Feb

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted
Quick lunchtime post - Just seen this issued less than an hour ago for tomorrow, but I just don't buy it, expect it or believe it. Nice to be acknowledged as existing though. :cold:

North West England:

Blackpool

Cheshire

Gtr Manchester

Heavy Snow Tue 10 Feb

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of England and Wales on Tuesday. A band of rain will turn to sleet and snow in places as it moves eastwards. There is the potential for around 5 to 10cm of snow, especially over hills.

Does seem odd really, wheres Lancashire? and dare I say it Merseyside?

Implausible unless they mean into the early hours as moves northwards.. still its meant to move east.

Posted
There is actually a scientific meteorological reason for this. Because the Northwest of England is sheltered it's dewpoints tend to be lower in winter, so therefore on lower ground it tends to miss out on low dewpoint precipitation bands which are usually broken up by the drier air. This doesnt occur to areas like the Pennines and high ground though usually, because their temperatures are much lower, consequently nearer to their dewpoint meaning a more moist environment resulting in snow.

In summer here we do about as well as the winter, usually we struggle to get much rain here in Wirral in the summer so we miss out on storms and the like, because our air is too dry then, again due to shelter. We only seem to get any appreciable rain in Autumn.

Thanks for the info...so basically were a bit handicapped when it comes to snow events, although the 80's were a good decade for snow. And my dad can remember as far back as the 40's and he remembers virtually every winter there was snow upto his knees. Just a shame we cant get back to that :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
Quick lunchtime post - Just seen this issued less than an hour ago for tomorrow, but I just don't buy it, expect it or believe it. Nice to be acknowledged as existing though. :)

North West England:

Blackpool

Cheshire

Gtr Manchester

Heavy Snow Tue 10 Feb

TBH

I Think UKMO Are in Limbo ATM Not Knowing exactly how far North this storm is going to

Come for one though i would love there Weather Warning to be right.Although from past experience

Weather Warning normaly means things go T*its up Lol :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
TBH

I Think UKMO Are in Limbo ATM Not Knowing exactly how far North this storm is going to

Come for one though i would love there Weather Warning to be right.Although from past experience

Weather Warning normaly means things go T*its up Lol :lol:

lol yeah true..im guessing just a tiny bit of precip later on tonight for me

Posted

ok first snapshot of today. How do you know where this system is going to end up? the models are wrong..get over it and wait and to see what happens later I know for certain quite a few people are going to be mighty surprised with this system. Yet instead all we hear is its gonna do nothing 0.o i know we have had a bad bloody winter but come on use your loaves go check out the models and do other stuff productively instead of making proclamations of it isnt..you should move to the south..no wonder it never snows here come on be more positive lets just see we have sleet just to our south and thats just about 25 odd miles south of the region...the system hasnt reached the channel yet..you cannot tell me with a system that big it outer edge wont reach here..more so has the colder conditions hit us and bingo we have either rain or snow..i dont mind because i believe we will see more than a dusting from this ..if we dont..there will be other chances but today it will get : :lol: :):)

post-1982-1234182535_thumb.png

Posted
ok first snapshot of today. How do you know where this system is going to end up? the models are wrong..get over it and wait and to see what happens later I know for certain quite a few people are going to be mighty surprised with this system. Yet instead all we hear is its gonna do nothing 0.o i know we have had a bad bloody winter but come on use your loaves go check out the models and do other stuff productively instead of making proclamations of it isnt..you should move to the south..no wonder it never snows here come on be more positive lets just see we have sleet just to our south and thats just about 25 odd miles south of the region...the system hasnt reached the channel yet..you cannot tell me with a system that big it outer edge wont reach here..more so has the colder conditions hit us and bingo we have either rain or snow..i dont mind because i believe we will see more than a dusting from this ..if we dont..there will be other chances but today it will get : :lol: :):)

I sure hope your right....it would be fantastic to see that low make a shift north as it hits the SW. By the way what factors do influence the tracks of these storms??

Posted
I sure hope your right....it would be fantastic to see that low make a shift north as it hits the SW. By the way what factors do influence the tracks of these storms??

considering the most northern extent of this low is a rough line between liverpool and scarborough..and looking at that radar and then looking at the latest vis sat image..its outer arm is already reaching us but i need more detail on the low..its hard to see it for me lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

cheers for the pic, when you watch the animation though it just seems to be slipping away, dont ya think?

Posted

Good post.

I am also sick of so many miserable and bitter people on this forum (one in particular i have noticed) There are advantages and disadvantages of living everywhere. I think we are lucky to have got what we have had, considering what we had last year and for a while really.

I think we will get some later. But I hope that the 'Victor Meldrew's of this forum stay off. So we can go on and find out how much everyone has got in the northwest, instead of reading their embarrassing posts. The grapes are very sour on here.

Rock on NorthWest_Snow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Good post.

I am also sick of so many miserable and bitter people on this forum (one in particular i have noticed) There are advantages and disadvantages of living everywhere. I think we are lucky to have got what we have had, considering what we had last year and for a while really.

I think we will get some later. But I hope that the 'Victor Meldrew's of this forum stay off. So we can go on and find out how much everyone has got in the northwest, instead of reading their embarrassing posts. The grapes are very sour on here.

Rock on NorthWest_Snow :lol:

I would agree with that, it does get tiring all the miserable, moaning posts especially those moaning about the south getting all the snow, which is a bit silly really when snow is even rarer down there than here.

Edited by James M

Posted

I'm guilty of sarcasm, humour and irony but nothing else. If truth be told I'd rather I was wafting in the SW'ly breeze so I could be outside in the garden but hey ho that's just winter.

Posted
I'm guilty of sarcasm, humour and irony but nothing else. If truth be told I'd rather I was wafting in the SW'ly breeze so I could be outside in the garden but hey ho that's just winter.

I wasn't on about you Stephen. I have noticed your posts contain humour and I enjoy a bit of sarcastic light banter myself. Some people can be quite venomous on here. I have wanted to write on here a couple of times, but haven't because of certain people. It shouldn't have to be like that. However, it seems like this is the way it is on forums unfortunately. I have had it on Digital Spy and my 16 year old daughter has had some right arguments on a World of Warcraft forum. Can't be bothered with it really.

Edited by whitewitch