Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Drier for a time, now cold rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
Think we could be in for supprise this time Mark,my estimate is we will have snow sometime between 10pm -3am so could be a late night,temps already falling here down to 4.9c from 6.3c earlier.

TBH anything would be good :) I'm hoping you're right though. Temp has fallen to 4.2c from 5.7c at about 10am, but it has fallen quite quickly in the last hour

Rain now becoming sleety in some parts with the temperature falling to 3.9C - still a few snow patches left!

Whats it like else where in Devon and Somerset? What is it like up on Exmoor?

DARTMOOR still keeps its snowfall as seen below:

http://www.dartcom.co.uk/index.php?pageID=7

Are there any live webcams for Exmoor?

Edited by Moonstar

Steve Murr:

Don't suppose you have any idea what 900ft asl might get a bit later? Getting a bit fed up with all this rain... just keeps teeming down! Much prefer the pretty white stuff! Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Hi Matt-

Its a real tough call today- with all the modelling in the world- the exact track of the low is almost impossible to Nail-

However, it you do take the track given by the GFS the low comes in along the SW & through Southern England-

The problem for you & areas along the South is that there is a sharp gradient across the Upper Air, going from Say +1/2C across one locale, down to -2/3C a mere 50/75 miles North-

In terms of the modelling Dartmoor sits just in the warmer side into the late afternoon early evening, so whilst the temps being low at the surface ( a bi product of the heavy rain & surface snow) the uppers are still warming-

There will be at some point though a marked drop in the upper air as the low passes up the coast-

You could note your wind direction- it will change from Southerly to Sharp North Easterly- then lighter North westerly- when that changes in when the scale starts to change in favour of snow- I would hazard a guess at 8-10pm- maybe some way either side if the low is taking a more southerly track, or later if its Northerly-

Places like bristol & slightly north- sit right on the boundry between the 0c air & either -2 or plus 2depending on the track, again low surface temps will be observed all day- but this is much the same as summer in terms of decreasing temps in heavy rain-

the dewpoint is critical- it wont go below zero until the 0c isotherm goes back South- again- depending on track could be 3pm- 6pm-

Its all about timing & track today-

Patience grasshoppers.... Patience...

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm reading the wind coming from just North of East at the moment, it moved through southerly about 3 hours ago. Is that a seperate system?

I'd be happy with no snow, they only got the ploughs and snowblowers up to the village to clear the road down last night! :)

Posted

At 1pm the Bristol Channel shipping forcast is giving 17kph Easterlys

By 6pm easterly 47kph

6-12pm north east 53kph

12-6am SE becoming NW 56kph

The wind is spinning and going to get a lot windier.

Edited by loadsa

Posted

hi this the shipping forecast

Niton Gale Warnings:

RADIO GALE WARNING MONDAY 09 FEBRUARY 0954 UTC BISCAY SOUTHWESTERLY GALE FORCE 8 INCREASING SEVERE GALE FORCE 9 IMMINENT, VEERING WESTERLY AND INCREASING VIOLENT STORM FORCE 11 SOON

FITZROY SEVERE GALE FORCE 9 VEERING WESTERLY AND INCREASING VIOLENT STORM FORCE 11 IMMINENT

SOLE NORTHERLY SEVERE GALE FORCE 9 IMMINENT, INCREASING STORM FORCE 10 SOON

LUNDY NORTHERLY SEVERE GALE FORCE 9 EXPECTED SOON

FASTNET NORTHEASTERLY GALE FORCE 8 IMMINENT, BACKING NORTHERLY AND INCREASING SEVERE GALE FORCE 9 SOON

Posted

Heavy rain (still) almost no wind, coming from the East, pressure down to 985mb from 1002mb at 11pm last night. Still loads of snow cover, although its showing signs of wear and tear!!

I'm still thinking the ski resort is a starter though!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
Today feels on the mild side yet not surprising at 3.9c max this morning,weak sun came out had some light drizzle that didn`t suprise me considering yesterdays snow turned to sleet/drizzle at the very end brief,uppers are only -3c

As for tonight I hope your right about a foot of snow but can`t be greedy. :)

What I think will happen know today`s band of rain will fizzle out this far,then the east wind will start to pick up later getting colder and turn the rain more to sleet then snow as the cold undercut then comes in from the NE,as for blizzards I won`t be able to see as it`s the middle of the night,drifting snow later on strong winds,current laying snow now is too wet to drift,slow thaw.

It`s a fast moving low so not sure how much we`ll get.

Yeah you were right! Only light rain and drizzle mid afternoon, bit of a dead loss with the temperature only falling a little to 3.4c. The bulk of the precip still over the south and SW not pushing up much as yet, so I'll be lucky to see a covering, and you might get the couple of inches!

Posted

I will not be a happy bunny if they have to close lectures early. It is a very important lecture! Hmm, is the low still tracking further south than previously thought (my attempt at using weather lingo)?

Posted

sleet starting to show on the northernmost extent of the rainfall on the NW radar, somewhere just north of Birmingham.

Heavy rain (still) almost no wind, coming from the East, pressure down to 985mb from 1002mb at 11pm last night. Still loads of snow cover, although its showing signs of wear and tear!!

Matt - We have heavy rain with occasional sleet and the temp is now 3.8C!

What is the temperature there Matt?

DARTMOOR still keeps its snowfall as seen below:

http://www.dartcom.co.uk/index.php?pageID=7

Are there any live webcams for Exmoor?

Posted

Raining much heavier here now (in work Bridgend area )

Im sure i can see some rizzly snizzle in that rain also !

Rizzly snizzle is my version of 10% sleet 90 % rain.

And yes a closer inspection of the window i can see tiny ice grains.

Whats the chances of heavy /moderate snow for Swansea later???

Posted
Got reports of flooding down here now :lol: not good though for those at risk though

asl=above sea level =hight 900

Posted

You hang in there with that ski resort Matt :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Still raining here, becoming heavier now

Posted

Hi Sean (Moonstar)

Temp here has been hovering around 2C but as high as 2.9C, and yup the snowcover is still good where theres been no contact with it, melting around footprints etc. and generally thinner than before!