Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
Always going to be tricky for them because IMBY I had another 3 inches last night.

So overall since this cold spell started on Sunday 2nd Feb I have seen 6 snowfalls, total snowfall 17 inches, days of lying snow will probably be around 10 days due to the frosts this week. Now you would think I would be happy and content with this but suprisingly im not!

This winter might have been a massive improvement over recent ones but for me a real classic cold spell is when you have frequent snowfalls but more importantly max temps around -3C. On a majority of the days since this cold spell began my max temps have always rose above freezing to around 2-3C.

Ditto to all that TEITS from here on the Oxon/Northants border.

And about classic cold....I basically said the same as you this morning in the models thread (Snow, but always marginal, and no intense cold) and got very little sympathy.

Len

Edited by len

Posted

Temps are higher today than in yesterday's rain.

And with the sun I think we could lose more depth of snow today than yesterday!

Never mind XC weather forecasts a bone-numbing minus-one tonight!!!

Len

What a night, had to leave my car 2 miles away at the bottom of the unploughed/gritted Radway/Edgehill road (It's a 14% hill !!) and walk the rest of the way. It was coming down sideways !! We're back to over a foot of lying snow again.

Yes an excellent event last night i`m much lower than you but got heavy snow from around 9 pm to 1 am giving a very decent covering in my town as ever miles better in the countryside and high up like you are, going to drive up edge hill tomorrow night to have a look at all your snow :D

As ever you take your pick less cold and snowy or very cold and dry like early Jan, i`ll take both nice to have both types and hopefully with HP moving in later in the week we`ll record some severe frosts, only been recording -5C at the weekend :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!
Ditto to all that TEITS from here on the Oxon/Northants border.

And about classic cold....I basically said the same as you this morning in the models thread (Snow, but always marginal, and no intense cold) and got very little sympathy.

Len

I totally agree. This winter has been interesting - the cold snap over the new year, the snow of the past week...but it's been nothing like the winters of my youth.

Posted
Better to overhype it than scarcely mention it and get it wrong!

The BBC/UKMO cannot win with some people it seems. IMO they did a great job; both with where would see snow and also how much. They've been saying since yesterday 2-5cm and up to 10cm on higher ground which was bang on for this area.

Well done BBC/UKMO!

Well they said the West Mildlands would get 5-10cm, woke up this morning and nothing. Yes it snowed last night and there was a covering when I went to bed around midnight but it had all gone this morning. When we do get snow most of it has gone by the next day as the temp is always above freezing and even if just above zero it still melts. Proper cold is when the temp stays below freezing all day and that has not happened for any significant length of time, i.e. more than a couple of days for a very long time in the midlands. I just don't think it has been all that cold and all we have had here in Wolverhampton is a couple of inches which came down on Monday 2nd Feb. Maybe one or two more light coverings last week but did not add to the cover. The West Midlands never sees that much snow, too sheltered. Very disappointing after being promised so much by the media and met office.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

To be fair for many people South of the M4 it was a Winter storm with hrs of heavy rain and windy either side of the Low as it moved up the channel,close to the south coast.

Here it was for a few hrs last night almost a Winter storm with Heavy ,driving Snow which left another 5cms and this was after a few hrs. of steady rain.

Granted not a classic as there was never Gales here but i think those further South might have a different perspective.There were afterall many flood warnings yesterday.

Overall this Winter has been more like those of my younger days although i agree with TEITS and some others that it has often been borderline for Snow and certainly not a classic for daytime cold.

However having said that i am into my 10th consecutive day of Snow covering more than 50% of the ground at 9am.This has been maintained thanks to the frequency of snow falls as most days there has been some thawing.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Last night was ok in the end but we got 4-5cm of snow that melted by sunrise because of light rain that followed after the heavy snow had stopped. It wasn't quite the 20cm that the BBC spoke about on Sunday afternoon. I was very sure that this storm would not be as big as the BBC were ramping up, I thought the rain may turn to snow overnight but not amount to much and that is what happened. It rained from 1pm till 9:45pm here before it turned to snow, I mean that is a good 8 hours or so of rain, the BBC on Sunday afternoon were showing it turning to snow as soon as it hit the Midlands which was nonsense.

BBC and UKMO did an ok job but a lot of the stuff they said 18 hours before the event was completely wrong.

Posted

Doesn`t look like theres been any snow on low ground around here as the fields are much greener to yesterday.

2 extra inches here making it upto 5" in total so I`m happy with that and a good amount of drifting high up and it was heavyweight snow 6inches to foot would of down alot of damage I`ve know a whole shed roof collapse under all that weight,just want frosts and HP now for a week.

Cloudy here now at 2.2c

Min of -0.5c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
Well they said the West Mildlands would get 5-10cm, woke up this morning and nothing. Yes it snowed last night and there was a covering when I went to bed around midnight but it had all gone this morning. When we do get snow most of it has gone by the next day as the temp is always above freezing and even if just above zero it still melts. Proper cold is when the temp stays below freezing all day and that has not happened for any significant length of time, i.e. more than a couple of days for a very long time in the midlands. I just don't think it has been all that cold and all we have had here in Wolverhampton is a couple of inches which came down on Monday 2nd Feb. Maybe one or two more light coverings last week but did not add to the cover. The West Midlands never sees that much snow, too sheltered. Very disappointing after being promised so much by the media and met office.

from 87-96 the black country had some great snows!!! 87,88,90,91,94,95,96 but not much since.

west mids seems to do better when we get west or south west lows off the atlantic when there is cold air over us but the mild air struggles so the ppn turns to snow......

parts of west mids are actually pretty well situated for snow tbh - as most are on fairly high ground. If the midlands gets a good bashing then usually wolverhampton can see some of the worst of it.

Its just the weather has not been so severe really in the last 13 years -especially north west of birmingham....odd 2-3 inch snowfalls - nothing that major.

the bbc/met office were fairly accurate but they hyped their forecast (especially on sunday - I really thought we was in for a bashing!!!).....2-4 inches of snow is not a winter storm. parts of the south had really heavy rain but they were concentrated on the snow risk.

you read the papers such as the express n star and they say its the worst winter for 18 years but thats just because the SE had it bad - midlands apart from several small'ish falls missed out. The day time temps have been high and even night times its only been down to -6.

apart from the odd occasion have always been disappointed with the winter weather since 96.

suppose being around as a kid in the late 80-then 90s - i can remember my childhood being heavy snowfalls year after year.

due to the lack of snowfall - a 10cm fall is now seen as major.

Posted
midlands apart from several small'ish falls missed out

Not here - 6cm Monday, 11cm Thurs, 15cm Fri. Then Sunday an additional fall of about 2/3cm, and last night another 4/5cm.

Not smallish falls really. Thursday/Friday's were the best and days I will never forget.

Posted

Rubbish here too, went to bed with a slight covering which has now all pretty much melted.

But i dont mind cus i got alot of stuff to do today.

Posted
<br />Not here - 6cm Monday, 11cm Thurs, 15cm Fri. Then Sunday an additional fall of about 2/3cm, and last night another 4/5cm.<br /><br />Not smallish falls really. Thursday/Friday's were the best and days I will never forget.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I wouldnt class northampton as the midlands though - its the South :) . Yes you've had it good this year :)

Posted

echo what teits and len said, the last week has seen heavy snow falling but weve always been about 3-4c away from a repeat of 1991. had temps been that bit lower throughout the entire week many places would have piles of snow on the doorstep, as things are despite the last heavy snow falling just 18hours ago, many places barely have any lying snow left.

Posted

Perfect day today,last nights snow began to thaw quite quick still a vast amount laying yet.

Lots of sunshine, sat in the cab of my van around 2ish, the sun felt pleasantly warm.had to open the window.

echo what teits and len said, the last week has seen heavy snow falling but weve always been about 3-4c away from a repeat of 1991. had temps been that bit lower throughout the entire week many places would have piles of snow on the doorstep, as things are despite the last heavy snow falling just 18hours ago, many places barely have any lying snow left.

Still lots here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its actually a nice day here today. Here in the South West Midlands we barely had any snow on the ground this morning though further North in places such as Oldbury, Birmingham has had a proper covering!!! :(

So, places such as Stourbridge, Kidderminster and probably Worcester has had hardly anything lying. Very dissapointed as we had Heavy snow falling for so long.

Edited by Blizzards