Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
HUH?!! Just had bright echoes of purples and WHITE on the radar, but yet looking outside all this time and there has been no such heavy precipitation at all!!! , A little appalling to be fair lol :lol:

Current temp : 0.4C and rain is still on the cards, started to snow 20mins ago but back to the rain once again!

Yeah, the radar seems to be playing up a bit especially for the Midlands as it doesnt seem to want to move anything-i might be wrong though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Yeah, the radar seems to be playing up a bit especially for the Midlands as it doesnt seem to want to move anything-i might be wrong though!

That's not the main problem with the radar IMO. If you look in the south Midlands region, it seems to be very odd - a mixture of heavy and light in patches, with very sudden transitions between the 2, is there something wrong with the radar?

Edit: This is much clearer on the zoom on the NW radar.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Can't help but sit here and think if only we had colder uppers ahead of this storm.

Maybe the younger members can appreciate how severe Dec 31st 1978 actually was. Despite being 9yrs old I still remember it like it was yesterday.

I kept detailed diaries then, played football in the snow on 1st Jan 1979. Its started to snow again that evening and we had snow on the ground over 40 days

Anyway we have snow here but still 1c so not going to accumulate or 'add' anything to the snow base at present

Posted
Can't help but sit here and think if only we had colder uppers ahead of this storm.

Maybe the younger members can appreciate how severe Dec 31st 1978 actually was. Despite being 9yrs old I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Indeed that ridiculous excuse of a weather front yesterday has scuppered everything by moving away the cold upper air.

Seems to be all snow falling here now though its certainly showing no signs of sticking, probably due to being much to light.

Posted

850s are interesting, oxford -0.9 here there -2.7 should they be correct. we just need heavier precip :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Beginning to turn sleety here at 1.2C. Magic number is 1.2C, for something more wintry, as was the case in stratford. Those in Leicestershire/Northamptonshire should have it soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
That's not the main problem with the radar IMO. If you look in the south Midlands region, it seems to be very odd - a mixture of heavy and light in patches, with very sudden transitions between the 2, is there something wrong with the radar?

No we have had heavy then light snow here, quick change if anything looks more sleety again now (have ask gf to switch heating off)

was a quick change from rain to sleet to snow in about 15 minutes 2 hrs ago

Posted

Its not a radar at all. Just a simulated programme, totaly useless in situations like this. Its just shows what the gfs think should be happening. NOT WHAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

Cant we have a proper radar

Edited by At least it will be mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Edit: This is much clearer on the zoom on the NW radar.

It doesnt seem to want to shift anything on the radar and weve had some heavy rain (now turning to Snow) but the radar says weve had light precpitation.

Posted

Definate sleet here now. Moderate intensity, if we get some of the heavier stuff as seem to be slowly approaching it should turn to snow.

And by the way it is a radar. only the extra functions are what the gfs think should be happening, eg precip type, air pressure, wind vectors etc,

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted

nothing falling here except sleet.. huh don't know when will it snow here ?

Edited by chin86

Posted
Its not a radar at all. Just a simulated programme, totaly useless in situations like this. Its just shows what the gfs think should be happening. NOT WHAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

Wha...? It is a radar, the one I have paid for is a radar which is a snapshot of what HAS happened.

Anyway it seems to have improved now, and there is some heavy PPN heading northwards by the looks of it!

Posted

Even in 1978/9 there were notable mild interludes that caused thawing followed by re-freezing: almost exactly what will happen this time.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/1978_weather.htm

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/1979_weather.htm

For me last week was worse than 1978/9, and this winter every bit up there with the greats. Tonight is looking ferocious for many, with yet more snowfall.

Edited by West is Best

Posted

Snowing heavily here in Churchdown, Glos.

After a day's steady rain, I don't hold out much hope of a covering...

7&Y

Posted
Wha...? It is a radar, the one I have paid for is a radar which is a snapshot of what HAS happened.

Anyway it seems to have improved now, and there is some heavy PPN heading northwards by the looks of it!

Yep, yellow coloured precip on the radar gave us extremely heavy snow yesterday and if the radar is right a prolonged period of Heavy Precpitation is on the way. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yes Nick, quite pronounced on the last 1 hour loop...Thats where our snow is coming from

Posted

ermmm excuse me NO! LOL im sure someones already refuted you on this one already by the time ive replied so i won't bother

Posted

Yup. On a side note, has anybody else noticed the poor quality of Weather Online recently? Seems to be littered with typos and it looks as though it has been bodged together in 10 seconds.

Proper snow now falling here, only light but it is getting heavier. Temperature and dew points not a worry anymore, DP is below freezing and Temp is not far off it.

Posted
Even in 1978/9 there were notable mild interludes that caused thawing followed by re-freezing: almost exactly what will happen this time.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/1978_weather.htm

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/1979_weather.htm

For me last week was worse than 1978/9, and this winter every bit up there with the greats. Tonight is looking ferocious for many, with yet more snowfall.

Yes but im referring to the event rather than the winter.

This channel LP is chalk and cheese compared to the one in 1978.

Still remember the 8ft drifts that prevented us entering our school doors.

Posted

After about 9 hours of light rain, finally there be sleet here in Solihull but better late than never. :)

Current temp : 2ºc

DP : 1ºc

Humidity : 93%

Pressure : 986Mb/hPa.

Current conditions : Light sleet.

Phil.