Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted

Snowing better here now in sedgley didn't think it was sticking but futher inspections confirm it is starting to stick on the pavements

Posted

hor all the earlier panic, its panning out pretty much as predicted. We have the snow about an hour earlier than predicted. NOW ALL WE NEED IS THE STRONG WINDS AND HEAVY PPN

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Shouldnt the winds be picking up about now

I have just been out and notice the wind

We are still back to the sleet/snow margin, if it was only 1c colder

Posted

Has been piddling it down here all day, and some of the snow/ice has remained throughout the whole day and at present it is here with me now lol...amazing

Posted
Very blustery north east wind here blowing snow at crazy angles. Temp 0.9c and dewpoint -0.5c

I'm still astounded at how much snow cover we still have after all the rain today.

Back garden getting topped up again !!! :drunk:

Posted
I can confirm proper snow here now and the foundations of the snow huts are on course!

YAAY!

yay to the snow huts! Its not snowing here, still sleety :drunk:

Posted

Temp has nosedived again to 0.4C and still heavy snow. Everything slowly turning white...

Edited by Albion Snowman

Posted
What??!!!

It hasn't happened yet! And the BBC were completely wrong on several occasions this winter - ask Andy about the beginning of December! They were also wrong on Monday, and again on Thursday (and I think at another time as well). IMO the GFS is spot on atm and it does actually give a reasonable chance of snow for many in the Midlands. GFS has modeled things better than Meto/BBC so far this winter, by quite a long way.

Well what has happened here is the rain has turned to snow, as forecast since Sunday by the BBC. Meanwhile the GFS/NW is forecasting Icy Rain and a 0% chance of snow for the period 6pm to 9pm. Poor old GFS, can't cope whatsoever with these unpredictable winter storms :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
What??!!!

It hasn't happened yet! And the BBC were completely wrong on several occasions this winter - ask Andy about the beginning of December! They were also wrong on Monday, and again on Thursday (and I think at another time as well). IMO the GFS is spot on atm and it does actually give a reasonable chance of snow for many in the Midlands. GFS has modeled things better than Meto/BBC so far this winter, by quite a long way.

what hasnt happened ? BBC bang on right so far

wasnt forcast to go to North Yorkshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
I'm still astounded at how much snow cover we still have after all the rain today.

Back garden getting topped up again !!! :drunk:

Old saying holds true...."snow begets snow"

Posted

Pure snow here now, not sticking yet nor is it heavy enough to.

I think it'll get heavier soon though

Posted

Pants Pants Pants!!!! You all seem to have snow!!!! Here in Long Eaton, Notts we have just cold cold rain!!!! Any ideas - will we get any snow over here or will it miss us again??!! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Car already getting a covering, all soaking wet surfaces starting to show covering, wind begining to howl, temp 0.8c dewpoint -0.6c

Posted

One thing's for sure, this will stick on the roads tonight as i've not seen one gritter today and any salt that was there will have been washed away.

Just a s a thought, has anyone else seen any gritters about tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Snow isn't that heavy, the ground is soaked and it is settling. A lesson to those who doubted that it is possible! If the ground temperatures are cold enough then the snow will settle.

Cyclonic happiness, I haven't seen any gritters or any fresh grit on the road, councils will get slated in the morning.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
what hasnt happened ? BBC bang on right so far

wasnt forcast to go to North Yorkshire

Yes it was and it's snowing here right now, I wish some people would actually look at where N Yorks is, it's not in Scotland you know! OK it won't snow heavily here tonight but at least I keep my 12cm on the ground without them being washed away.

Well what has happened here is the rain has turned to snow, as forecast since Sunday by the BBC. Meanwhile the GFS/NW is forecasting Icy Rain and a 0% chance of snow for the period 6pm to 9pm. Poor old GFS, can't cope whatsoever with these unpredictable winter storms :D

I know what you mean but it's not a good idea to use the snow risk and precip type charts in these situations as it's the evap cooling and intensity that's causing the snowfall, hence why the NW charts show sleet and rain. In actual fact if you take into account the evap cooling I'd say the GFS is almost spot on atm.

Posted

Very nice radar update, precipitation pepping up over most of the midlands :huh:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Posted

Current lampost obs confirm sleet here - big flakes falling amongst 80% rain. Temp has dropped to 1.7 but damn DP is 1.2. The only thing I do have a bit of is a strengthening breeze... :huh: