Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2009

hayles503

Posted
September...always seems to be nice now days....+ that's when I picked my wedding date 2 years ago to Prescila :D

Ladies and gentlemen. Elvis is alive and well and living in Essex. :D

But as many say on here, WAYYYYY to early to predict so far ahead. Some meteorlogical organisations can't quite get it right in 6 days, let alone 6 months. (BBC : 12 to 15 cm of snow in the West Midlands --- Circa 18:00 hours, 9/2/2009... Er, no! 12-15 mm more like!!)

But my own thoughts... There is a saying that a cold Winter generally leads to a good Summer. I think this was the case in 1995 but not always strictly true given the 'so-called' Summers of 2007/2008.

But we'll see regardless.

Phil.

Posted

My daughter's birthday is the 4th June and it has been hot every year, or at least warm enough for a party in the garden, even during the last 2 miserable summers. Not that that proves anything of course!

Posted

A nice HP dominated summer will do me fine with a few heatwaves thrown in (30-35C) for up to a week. Followed by convectional thunderstorms to bring the temperatures down and allow a nice warm reset.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My guess is that it will be drier and sunnier than the last two summers- a bit like one of those probabilistic Met Office "on the fence" predictions though, as it's not saying much!

I would ideally like a summer where it was dry, sunny and warm for roughly 50% of the time, bright showery and fairly warm/cool for roughly 30%, and hot/thundery for roughly 20%. The weather doesn't usually follow that kind of script but it won't be hard to be closer to it than in 2007 and 2008.

High pressure helps if it's warm dry sunny weather you're after, but it doesn't guarantee it. That spell of anticyclonic gloom at the end of August 2008 was blatantly laughing at us- I can't remember any other summer anticyclonic spell like it, but it was somewhat ironic that it came at the end of a month when I'd been posting repeatedly along the lines, "high pressure doesn't guarantee sunshine". In many areas that high-pressure spell was even duller than the three weeks of westerlies had been.

For warm dry sunny weather and for thunderstorms I usually look for blocking over and to the east of Britain. I struggle to recall any instances of a summer anticyclone centred somewhere in the North Sea that didn't deliver plenty of warm sunshine, while of course those southerly plumes are effective sources of electrical activity. It may have been too hot for some in the urban heat islands of the south, but July 2006 was as classic an example as you'll ever see with regards what eastern blocking can do in the middle of summer. Widely the sunniest July on record- and not too bad for electrical activity either! The famous summer of 1995 also had high pressure frequently situated over the N Sea area.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
I'd always noticed that when I was at school, there was always a scorching half term followed by decent weather when taking GCSEs and A levels - come the 15th June when exams were over, the weather always turned! Therefore, I picked June 3rd 2006 to get married to Mrs Plum and the weather gods smiled at me then! :D

Same date that I married Mrs Tall.

Posted
I'd always noticed that when I was at school, there was always a scorching half term followed by decent weather when taking GCSEs and A levels - come the 15th June when exams were over, the weather always turned! Therefore, I picked June 3rd 2006 to get married to Mrs Plum and the weather gods smiled at me then! :D

You mean Whitsun? I agree, it always seemed good weather then. There also always seemed to be a brief heatwave in late May? But...I accept that my memory could be tainted.

As for June 2006 - you could have picked any day in that month and probably it would have been OK!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ah yes July 2006 - the best summer month I can ever remember. Hot and sunny throughout and sometimes thundery too. My missus spent the month in her bikini in the house which definitely beats the usual jumpers on and moaning about how cold it is!

Thanks so much for all the replies (although i see what you mean about too far in advance - i was just wondering if you had any vague ideas about say an indian summer or -as I was dreading - rubbish all summer!)

We are getting married in Suffolk. The reason im worried is we were thinking about a marquee and im dreading us huddling from rain and wind in a tent!

Unfortunately we cant really do June /July so it will probably be either 1 or 22 august. Im always suspicious about august as its felt more like autumn for the last few years. I think im going to believe the cold winter/hot summer rumour as its more cheerful!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

In terms of us getting a decent summer, i personally think that it is important that the Pacific plays ball, and that we have a highly amplified Jet Stream over the USA (Preferably -PNA in summer for sustained heat, opposite in winter for sustained cold).

During summer 2006, there were always an amplified PNA signal, which in cmbination with the AO playing ball, can lead to sustained periods of heat, i also personally feel that the weather patterns in May have an affect on the following summer, if this May can deleiver a very negative -PNA reading , then i would be very happy with the prospects for this summer.

Posted

Poor summers come in two`s usually so this summer will be much sunnier and warmer, forget looking for lower CET`S this time why do some want colder months than average in summer, they will be above average,except maybe June.

Thunderstorms/thundery showers at times,if the southerly tracking atlantic conveyer belt comes yet again this summer then :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers, cold winters, snow, some severe weather to liven things up...

I'm hoping for a better summer this year than the last 2, hopefully the influence of either the Azores high or continental european high will be greater and push the jet stream further north (so it misses Britain)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

What we want is a high out to the east dragging in hot & dry SElys aka July 2006...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/20...00120060719.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/20...00220060719.gif

Just looking at those charts makes me feel warm again!

Posted

A Mid-Atlantic trough correlates strongly with a -PNA, this combined with a +A0 is the ideal summer setup for me.

Posted

my ideal summer is not that of a scorcher, but one with consistent low to mid 20s in temperature, with the odd day in the late twenties or early thirties. i also love convection, so some spectacular thunderstorms would be really impressive.

Posted
my ideal summer is not that of a scorcher, but one with consistent low to mid 20s in temperature, with the odd day in the late twenties or early thirties. i also love convection, so some spectacular thunderstorms would be really impressive.

Your essentially describing the period mid Jun-mid july 2005, while warmer than what you would like it was sunny, hot and thundery, infact despite the first half of June been the coolest since June 1995, the second half was the hottest since 1976 and the CET 1.4C above average.

Rrea00120050618.gif

Must admit, theres nothing better than the hottest point in summer being at the same time as the maximum solar input.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

The ironic thing is though, a summer with temperatures constantly in the low-mid 20s with occasional hotter spells, would be a scorcher.

You'd be talking an average max temperature of say 24C and average minimum of 13C for example. The mean of that would be 18.5C which would make it the warmest summer on record by almost a degree!

Thats the problem we have in this country, we're quite unrealistic if we're honest :)

My idea of an ideal summer would be temperatures around the 20C mark, with occasional hot, thundery spells and also cooler showery spells. Fortunately Im rarely disappointed, as its very much what the typical summer in the UK is like. What I dislike are months like August 2008 which are relentlessly dull and boring.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Ideal summer?

I would like a mix of last May's synoptics with warm sunny days (not stifling heat) and a brisk cooling easterly breeze mixed with a few thunderstorms imported from the continent. Alternating these with cool unstable polar northerlies or north easterlies with torrential thundery downpours breaking out after sunny starts to the day :) .

Putting the terrible flooding aside of Jul 07, I am probably one of the few people who has actually liked the last two summers!

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
Ideal summer?

I would like a mix of last May's synoptics with warm sunny days (not stifling heat) and a brisk cooling easterly breeze mixed with a few thunderstorms imported from the continent. Alternating these with cool unstable polar northerlies or north easterlies with torrential thundery downpours breaking out after sunny starts to the day :( .

Putting the terrible flooding aside of Jul 07, I am probably one of the few people who has actually liked the last two summers!

Crikey a long time since I've heard you mention those fresh easterly breezes for summer weather! <_<

I guess your summer idea certainly sounds more exciting for weather watching but its pretty poor for outdoor activity (unless standing out in torrential rain appeals!).

My perfect summer involves being outside as much as humanly possible hence I love the heat - well at least warmth that lasts nicely into the evening. Sure indoors can get stuffy but it's time to be outside - got 8 or 9 months to sit inside!

As for those easterly breezes - not a fan since easterly usually means cloud, cloud and more cloud. Maybe burning off if you're lucky - but not always.

Posted

My ideal summer would be a nice 2-3 day hot spell with a thundery breakdown or a day of sunshine and thundery showers, sadly the latter is rare here as normally convection builds but just flattens out during the making the day a mostly cloudy day with sunny intervals.

I would not mind seeing temps above 25C here this summer, i don't think it went above 24C around here last year but i certainly would not mind a repeat of the 2005 summer thats for sure.

Crikey a long time since I've heard you mention those fresh easterly breezes for summer weather! :doh:

I guess your summer idea certainly sounds more exciting for weather watching but its pretty poor for outdoor activity (unless standing out in torrential rain appeals!).

My perfect summer involves being outside as much as humanly possible hence I love the heat - well at least warmth that lasts nicely into the evening. Sure indoors can get stuffy but it's time to be outside - got 8 or 9 months to sit inside!

As for those easterly breezes - not a fan since easterly usually means cloud, cloud and more cloud. Maybe burning off if you're lucky - but not always.

Oh I like to get outside too ;)

Summer rain is nice to be out in IMO and storms are of course exciting to look out for and watch. In terms of being outside in cooler summer weather, apart from a basic preference for it, it doesn't matter to me because I tend to have an extra layer either on me, or with me anyway.

I love easterlies full stop, whenever, but in summer they are also good because those grey mornings are good for getting things done without folding up like wet blotting paper and then you get the sun burning away the cloud to give lovely clear and sunny afternoons and evenings. That is the time to be out and about, but in depends on your lifestyle I guess.

I used to hate working in a stuffy office in hot summer weather particularly due to having to wear some uncomfortable work uniform and for days involving some client interview type situations even a pair of tights! :winky: Those days have been gone a little while now - hurrah! :doh:

It is just atlantic weather that I can't abide really - not just in winter, but any time of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i like some nice sunshine this year..i havnt seen any real sunny warm weather since july 2006..i was out of the country during the record breaking april 2007...summer 2007 when i was back was a wash out..last year i was in ontario in april and may which suffered a cold wet spring especailly may!..then i was in alberta in june and july which were cool and cloudy even by alberta standards..then i was back in the uk for one of the dullest august on record!

im not after heat or storms just some sunny blue skies please :winky:

Posted
Oh I like to get outside too ;)

Summer rain is nice to be out in IMO and storms are of course exciting to look out for and watch. In terms of being outside in cooler summer weather, apart from a basic preference for it, it doesn't matter to me because I tend to have an extra layer either on me, or with me anyway.

That's one thing I positively enjoy about summer - the ability not to have to carry coats, gloves, hats, bike lights etc... It just feels nice to be free unlike most of the year. I guess its similar to the winter cosy by the fire thing - just at the opposite end of the scale. And yes, summer rain can be fantastic when it pours on down. Just not so good if you've planned a bbq, are sat outside the pub or just suddenly caught out!

I love easterlies full stop, whenever, but in summer they are also good because those grey mornings are good for getting things done without folding up like wet blotting paper and then you get the sun burning away the cloud to give lovely clear and sunny afternoons and evenings. That is the time to be out and about, but in depends on your lifestyle I guess.

Problem is it doesn't always burn off and also makes it harder to get up in the morning. Sunny mornings, winter or summer are always better for me. It does keep max temps down though which I can understand people don't always enjoy.

I used to hate working in a stuffy office in hot summer weather particularly due to having to wear some uncomfortable work uniform and for days involving some client interview type situations even a pair of tights! :winky: Those days have been gone a little while now - hurrah! :doh:

Gladly no uniform for me but our office does indeed get awfully hot in summer (well 2006 type summer). But then you just drink water, have a fan on you and keep out of direct sunlight - i.e. just cope with it. No harder than wearing four layers, gloves, hat and avoiding falling over on ice during a cold winters morning!

It is just atlantic weather that I can't abide really - not just in winter, but any time of the year.

I think Atlantic weather is always unpopular as it brings such 'average' weather - for the UK. In winter it's generally mild & damp, in summer it's cool & damp - the ocean mediates the season. But at least it's dynamic. We had 2-3 weeks of endless grey skies with next to no weather around xmas from an easterly. At least with Atlantic weather it does change hour by hour, day by day. Not that I'm a big fan of SWlys either - just stagnent weather (except hot & sunny ;) ) gets very boring no matter which wind direction it comes from.

Essentially we have quite different opinions on weather! :doh:

Essentially we have quite different opinions on weather! :clap:

You may be surprised - not completely! At least we share the same attitude in terms of wanting to enjoy what is on offer, albeit sometimes quite different things :) .

I do like the summer - and do look forward to it in many ways. I just think I would enjoy it a lot more if the winter season provided more. Whatever I think about longer term trends, they have been very disappointing.

A typical continental/Canadian climate would suit me best. If I could have my coat and wooly glove quota in the winter (which I love most of all!) I think I would appreciate the summer much more, and be more receptive to the warmer spells.

Recent years haven't had that old fashioned defined seasonality about them. I have always liked winters being winters and summers being summers - but winters became a bit too blurred at the edges like an extended autumn - and that was the worst thing of all :( .

I get to late September and October and I like to see frost and leaf fall, and everything change colour. That seemed to disappear - untill this last year - it would be lovely if it could last!! :D

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection