Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: East Midlands, Lincs And S & E Yorkshire

Posted
That'll be in kentimetres :)

Amazingly its still snow here.

Its turning to a wintry mix in the west of the precipitation zone as that area is under warmer uppers than further east. This reminds me very much of the January 2004 thundersnow event, that too came from a band of snow moving south and had more marginal air on its western flank. In this case though, its all much further east.

Snow depths here vary from 3-6cm depending on where you are in the city. Its most definitely the best snowfall here since March 2004 and completely unexpected at that.

I'm surprised that you say the best since March 2004. I had a wasted all day in the infirmary in early April. Came down on the train from Driff and there was a good 6cm+ around.

Just driven 5 miles to work and it took 45 minutes. The roads are shocking and some people just dont have a clue how to drive in the snow. I was nearly rear-ended as I approached a roundabout because some guy in a 4x4 thought he could sit up my backside. Also saw a white van overtake a car going 20mph in a 30 zone and nearly hit a lampost.

Posted

think the cold is hanging on nearer the coast - the more west the milder the air just - only a few miles away but is making the difference

Posted
think the cold is hanging on nearer the coast - the more west the milder the air just - only a few miles away but is making the difference

according to the meto observations for 8pm, donna nook was recording a temperature of -0.1c and bridlington 0.2c, so that rather confirms your thoughts :)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Now up to 4.7C although rising more slowly. Max temp for the day wind picking up as well.

Posted

Evening all

been a great day today with snow from 1pm, the sum total of 6.5cm, at one point i thought we may not beat last years maximum but we scraped in by the skin of our teeth. current road conditions here are poor, with the likelyhood of black ice in the morning. funny that the first gritter i saw in action was at 6pm some five hours after the snow started to fall. and as a result the salt laid down has frozen in the semi thawed snow rendering it uneffective. well i dont care now im home but tomorrow holds its own challenges.

LO

Posted

sad to say that the snow is thawing, albeit slowly but steadily.

at this rate there will be little left in the morning. but it sure was nice whilst it lasted :crazy:

Posted
sad to say that the snow is thawing, albeit slowly but steadily.

at this rate there will be little left in the morning. but it sure was nice whilst it lasted :lol:

A very slight thaw here although it's forecast to freeze tonight so hopefully

not to much of a thaw. I'll take some pics in the morning :crazy:

Posted
A very slight thaw here although it's forecast to freeze tonight so hopefully

not to much of a thaw. I'll take some pics in the morning :lol:

not here near the coast.

its forecast to remain at or near 1c all night :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well I can confirm at a glance out the window its still over 5cm here in Humberston - no sign of melt, I think maybe your imagining it :doh: ah well night

Edited by rikki

Posted

Not sure what its like at home, but here at work almost all of the snow has gone. We had a good 4cm aswell.

Such a shame that despite such an appreciable fall, that today will fail to record a snow lying day at 0900.

It also continues the trend of the last few years of snow never lasting more than 12 hours.

Posted
Not sure what its like at home, but here at work almost all of the snow has gone. We had a good 4cm aswell.

Such a shame that despite such an appreciable fall, that today will fail to record a snow lying day at 0900.

It also continues the trend of the last few years of snow never lasting more than 12 hours.

We'll just manage to record a day's snow at home, the snowcover has lasted much better here, but its very patchy and melting quickly.

The temperature is 2.2C, dewpoint 0.8C.

Posted

Certainly a bit of a thaw overnight, temp went up to 2c. Clearer now and just dropped back below 0.

I see on Look North last night 150 cars stuck between here and Rudston and lots of other problems on the Wolds.

Posted

Snow has melted quite a bit here too over night although the grass still has a good covering, if a bit wet. Hoping to take my class out in half an hour to play in it before the sun gets to work!!!

Posted

snow is rapidly melting here too as a result not only of higher temperatures, but also sublimation.

Posted

Still some snow around, especially on the back garden. If it can just last till Sunday then we will have had two weeks of laying snow B) Which is something i have never seen before

Posted

there is still the odd patch or two lying in sheltered back gardens near me, but the rest appears to have gone :(

nice piccys tomb raider legend :)