Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell The Sum Up

Posted

Having finally had a good dumping of snow (4 inch) I am now much happier with our cold spell, up to yesterday we had only managed a couple of dustings. We have had frosts almost every night which has also been welcomed. Having waited 5 years I have finally been able to build snowmwn with my class!!!! :D

Posted

This will be the heaviest snowfall since 2007,that lasted for 9 days with snow drifts.

So far 13 days with snow about,but there was a big thaw last night as temps got upto 6c and a very mild quite strong NW-ly...35% snowcover left.

So it`s been the longest total snowcover since late december 1996/Jan 1997,but the longest continuous total feb snowcover since 1991. :D

As for just snow lying about in corners drifts,so far it`s the longest since late february/March 2006... 30 days so it`s got more to life upto for excitment no blizzard`s still to that winter,stronger winds,which this has been lacking.

Still theres still lots of snowdrifts left yet,until this mild high comes in the wrong place. :D

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

After a poor start fairly good. We've had Snow and not NO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

At a regional level, I would say:

By Exeter's standards this has been a great cold spell. Started with sunshine and snow showers on the 2nd giving an inch of dry powdery snow. Sunshine and snow showers again (with south-westerly winds!) on the 3rd, but the snow soon melted. The 4th and 5th were pretty grim, but then there was a 2-inch snowfall late on the 5th (somewhat unexpectedly). Although it turned slushy early on the 6th, the snow did not reduce to less than half-cover until the 8th, and it took until the 10th for the whole lot to melt. After a sunny weekend, it turned driech early in the week. The big depression early this week brought rain and sleet rather than snow, but to be honest I hadn't even expected sleet from it. Then some pleasant cold sunny days.

For Cleadon by the Tyneside coast, it's been a strange cold spell- its duration has certainly been notable, but so has its marginality. There were some short-lived snow events there, from the easterly on 2 February, and three overnight dustings from the cyclonic/northerly regime that followed, but it always melted during the day. Yesterday's unexpected snowfall was certainly something to remember, with snow for much of the day, and depths finally reaching or exceeding the 2 inch/5cm barrier for a time- but even that was short lived. It wouldn't surprise me if, when I get my weather records for the period, it turns out to be no colder than the first third of December was.

Cleadon has had 5 Met Office snow days (days with more than half-cover at 0900) over the cold spell as a whole, but for example, the cold snaps of late December 2000 and early March 2001 both produced 5 consecutive Met Office snow days with little or no daytime thawing, while early December 2008 managed 4 snow days on the trot.

It's been a strange old cold snap whatever way I look at it really, but it was good to get some lying snow in Exeter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

3 now events, 1-2 Feb, very good 7/8 inches that hung around almost all week, 6th was a dusting, last night 1cm but turned very wet and all gone by this morning.

There was potential for a very significant period of cold and snow out of this, and although it was certainly a lot better than recent years we did not have much of the depth of cold, certainly in the Southern half of the country apart from the 24 hours 1-2 Feb, things looked odds on to continue with re-loads from the North, but it was not to be. Many areas got nice falls of snow in spite of marginal upper temps, wet bulbs etc, day time temps were generally above freezing for the majority so hardly anything in the way of ice days.

If the rest of February becomes mild or very mild maybe, then I would think that this Winter will go down as just average.

Although obviously colder than average for the 21st century but that dont take much.

Snowray

Posted

7 inches of snowfall with top ups,7 days when it drifted,2005/06 was also 7days,and the winter into March isn`t over yet.

So far I rate this cold spell in the top 10 since1987/88 winters,and the winter as a whole so far the best since 1995/96 for this time,much better than 2005/06 same time period,not as good as 1996/97 for snow,as november delivered huge.

A memorable snowy cold spell this has been though :) yesterday was one of those very rare days when it totally refroze hard and total cover thats just 1 highlight.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

It's been great in the Stroud District this winter, really since before Christmas. I've worked outside all winter and really been in the thick of it at times. Before Christmas and just after it was very cold on and off, and leaving home at 7.30 most mornings I must of de-iced the car 20 times - more than the last 3 winters put together! The small amount of snow that fell after Christmas (can't remember date) probably an inch, remained on the ground, even in the sun in places, for 4 days. That hasn't happened for years around here. We've had deeper 'back edge' snow in recent years, but usually all gone within 24 hours.

The snow that we've had this month has been a real memory trip, taking me back to growing up in the area in the 80's. 3 events in a week, some melt in between but not much at all. In fact me and a mate put a snowman in a small tree in the park on Slad Road in Stroud which lasted 9 days! It was only held in a fork, and was small, so melt was minimal in this time. Paths out of the sun were dangerous for days with compacted snow turning to ice. Today I've been in Chalford near Stroud, and some of the gardens there have 5 inches of level snow still, and some paths dangerous.

All in all a classic winter for me so far - interesting this global warming. All the cooler wet weather we got in the summer followed by this...My 'feeling' is that we will get more snow soon, possibly more than we've had but also more short lived. Anyway good luck for those who want more!

Posted

My cold spell timeline (some dates mixed up)

Sunday 31st- Light snow showers giving a dusting of snow

Monday 1st- Heavy snow showers gave 11cm of snow, prolonged heavy snow from 4pm

Tuesday 2nd- Heavy snow until 3am dumping 28cm of fresh snowfall, with 50cm+ drifts

Wednesday 3rd- Nothing

Thursday 4th- Light/Moderate snowfall in morning gave covering of 3-5cm

Friday 5th- Nothing

Saturday 6th- Nothing

Sunday 7th- Moderate snow throughout evening giving a covering of 4-6cm

Monday 8th- Nothing

Tuesday 9th- "Winter storm" arrived here albeit the edge, giving 3hours of continous sleet/snow leading to a dusting

Wednesday 10th- -A rain shower arrived and turned in to an extremely heavy snow shower gave temprorary blizzard conditons leading to 3cm of snow

Thursday 11th- Moderate snow on and off throughout the day amounting to 2cm of snow, milder air in evening melted 20% of snow

Friday 12th- Heavily compacted snow froze throughout the morning leading to the iciest conditons since the snow event of Dec5th 2008

Saturday 13th(guess)- Sleet and rain making its way south from the north

Total snowfall amounts-77.5cm (including snow drift of 50cm instead of lying snow of 28cm)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
My cold spell timeline (some dates mixed up)

Sunday 31st- Light snow showers giving a dusting of snow

Monday 1st- Heavy snow showers gave 11cm of snow, prolonged heavy snow from 4pm

Tuesday 2nd- Heavy snow until 3am dumping 28cm of fresh snowfall, with 50cm+ drifts

Wednesday 3rd- Nothing

Thursday 4th- Light/Moderate snowfall in morning gave covering of 3-5cm

Friday 5th- Nothing

Saturday 6th- Nothing

Sunday 7th- Moderate snow throughout evening giving a covering of 4-6cm

Monday 8th- Nothing

Tuesday 9th- "Winter storm" arrived here albeit the edge, giving 3hours of continous sleet/snow leading to a dusting

Wednesday 10th- -A rain shower arrived and turned in to an extremely heavy snow shower gave temprorary blizzard conditons leading to 3cm of snow

Thursday 11th- Moderate snow on and off throughout the day amounting to 2cm of snow, milder air in evening melted 20% of snow

Friday 12th- Heavily compacted snow froze throughout the morning leading to the iciest conditons since the snow event of Dec5th 2008

Saturday 13th(guess)- Sleet and rain making its way south from the north

Total snowfall amounts-77.5cm (including snow drift of 50cm instead of lying snow of 28cm)

yeah definitely dates mixed up unless you mean december 08, reminds me of weatheronline lol

have noticed this winter all 3 months have started cold frosty and snowy in the first week, and ended fairly mild

Posted

I think some people on the forum need to get a grip, not naming names and haven't read this whole thread but some are moaning, especially in the model thread, about a milder spell starting this weekend. We are still in the coldest winter for a long time and there's a fortnight to go yet! Not to mention what could happen in March/April!

As for the cold spell, well to say Westbury had the most snow since I was a child sums my thoughts up :) ! And it hasn't actually got mild because after a starting temperature of 6.7c this morning it turned colder through the day!

Posted

by far the best we have had in London for a few years. and not just because of a bit of snow. it made a nice change to actually get some ice days and hard frosts. and unlike many winters before, it has been good to have a difference in day/night temps. not the 10-15 °C day/night temps of previous years.

Posted

Well what a winter so far :) no lying snow one hour of falling snow more frosts in two months than in 5 years so all in all not to bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Andy

Just looking at your signiture. Yes it may have been a memorable spell for you, but for me in the in the NE its normal to have 3-5 snow events of 3" plus. In this winter so far there has been none! A couple of very wet falls have come close and I believe if feed had been cold enough then these would have been 4-6" falls.

For me this winter has only been special because of prolonged cold and no real altlantic presence.

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
I think some people on the forum need to get a grip, not naming names and haven't read this whole thread but some are moaning, especially in the model thread, about a milder spell starting this weekend. We are still in the coldest winter for a long time and there's a fortnight to go yet! Not to mention what could happen in March/April!

As for the cold spell, well to say Westbury had the most snow since I was a child sums my thoughts up :) ! And it hasn't actually got mild because after a starting temperature of 6.7c this morning it turned colder through the day!

Fully agreed Andy. I am sick of reading "Oh this is nothing compared to 78/79, 63 or 47". Of course it isn't, the chances of those happening again are slim. The bottom line is that a large proportion of the country has had it's best snowfall for the best part of 20 years. It is the coldest winter for over a decade. And most of the younger generation (me included) have seen their best snowfalls in their lifetimes. Okehampton got 55cm (almost 2 feet!!) if you don't think that is notable, then you are living in the wrong country.

If this time last year we would have said that this was to come, people would have jumped at the chance. It has been the best snowy spell since the internet age and we may not see its like for a few years. Plus (as you mention) we still have about 2 months of snow potential. And towards the back end of February, heavy, convective snow is more likely, which can be exciting to watch.

2008/09 is one to remember IMO.

Posted
Fully agreed Andy. I am sick of reading "Oh this is nothing compared to 78/79, 63 or 47". Of course it isn't, the chances of those happening again are slim. The bottom line is that a large proportion of the country has had it's best snowfall for the best part of 20 years. It is the coldest winter for over a decade. And most of the younger generation (me included) have seen their best snowfalls in their lifetimes. Okehampton got 55cm (almost 2 feet!!) if you don't think that is notable, then you are living in the wrong country.

If this time last year we would have said that this was to come, people would have jumped at the chance. It has been the best snowy spell since the internet age and we may not see its like for a few years. Plus (as you mention) we still have about 2 months of snow potential. And towards the back end of February, heavy, convective snow is more likely, which can be exciting to watch.

2008/09 is one to remember IMO.

Your last point should be highlighted in bold, we are along way of the end of what winter can deliver; as the days lengthen and the sun strenghtens we begin to see the opportunity for heavy convective snow showers to raise itself - especially late feb/early march if we get a arctic plunge - best time of year for this to happen think feb 2004 and 2006 in this respect this winter could easily be saving the best till last so to speak - which for northern parts would eliver the best snowy conditions of the year so far, alas for southern parts though the cold spell has bee notable and unlikely to beaten during the rest of this winter, but not so for the north. In general though I've enjoyed the persistant low maxima even if minima have been nothing to write home about except if you have been in the north highlands and grampian region.

Posted

Selected quote...

Andy

For me this winter has only been special because of prolonged cold and no real altlantic presence.

Hi FP, it's memorable for me for the lasting cold too (I work outside lol) - last week's snow was the icing on the cake.

Posted

I agree with this, despite snow amounts have not been as good here as the rest of the country, in terms of the length of the cold then its been pretty good to say the least especially for the so called ''modern'' winter.

If i was to have a whine about this cold spell, then its have to be about the snow amounts, only recorded 3CM from the persistant snow we had yesterday(did not help that it was not always heavy snow) and i think we had the roughly the same amount from the convective showers off the North sea aswell although that got soon washed away by the rain.

Now too those who think this cold spell(or winter) has been poor then ask yourself this question, did you expect when this winter started that London would experiance its worse snowfall since Feb 1991?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
I agree with this, despite snow amounts have not been as good here as the rest of the country, in terms of the length of the cold then its been pretty good to say the least especially for the so called ''modern'' winter.

If i was to have a whine about this cold spell, then its have to be about the snow amounts, only recorded 3CM from the persistant snow we had yesterday(did not help that it was not always heavy snow) and i think we had the roughly the same amount from the convective showers off the North sea aswell although that got soon washed away by the rain.

Now too those who think this cold spell(or winter) has been poor then ask yourself this question, did you expect when this winter started that London would experiance its worse snowfall since Feb 1991?

Yeah for the North it hasn't been that spectacular - YET! Still plenty of time to go.

In comparison to the dross of the last 2 winters, this winter has been fantastic and a breath of fresh air.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Compared with last winter this is king, which to last year was one of the worst 2nd infact for lowest snowfall to 1991/92,1988/89 was close only for that very wet heavy snow 1ft which I wasn`t impressed with, it was a similar type of winter really last year,except 1991/92 was colder and dryer.

Posted

Brilliant cold spell here in Dulwich, the best we've had here since i moved to London 11 years ago.

Snow falling on 4 separate days. Major snowfall for 27 hours straight a week last Sunday and Monday.

Full 8 - 9 inches of snow ; first time i've worn snow goggles and made snowmen in London. Never thought i'd need to wear a balaclava cycling to work in London ; done it for about 2 weeks or more this winter. More frosts than... well, i've given up counting. - 4.4 deg 1 night, sub -2 on many nights. compare that to completely frostless winters just a couple of years ago. not seen "brown" grass through frost in London before. Frozen ponds.

All in all, a wonderful cold spell, and a real nostalgia one for someone who used to live in Yorkshire and remember all the above being very redolent of childhood.

we had about 4 days of lying snow. i'm quite jealous of those in Leeds that have had about 17 days lying snow this winter. but i should be thankful i guess - am pleased with what we've had. and hope there's more to come. Still. off to Australia for a fortnight next week so looking forward to warmth too! :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Just made a summary photographic post in the photography section here: http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=53742

Has a few pictures from the Cotswolds, where there was deep snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It shouldn't be compared to 79, 63 or 47 anyway. All three of those winters featured spells of very deep cold at times- for example in 1979, check out the north-easterlies around New Year, 15 February and mid March, and the northerlies in late January. This cold spell, by comparison, has had modified cyclonic regimes except briefly on the 2nd February. And despite that, many places saw a fair amount of snow. It was similar in early December, when the synoptics weren't spectacular by any means, but much of Scotland and north-east England had a good few days of snow cover- for many it was the wintriest start to December since 1976.

The cold spells of Winter 2008/09 have certainly been marginal, but for once, they've delivered the goods to a large majority of the country. From that perspective, surely, it has to be seen as a sign that the UK winter is still quite some way away from being dead.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Overall it hasn't been bad.

Three notable snowfalls here, as in 6cm+, which last two or three years apart, is entirely normal.

But it is nice to see we can still get normal amounts of snowfall. 13 days lying snow this winter (14 if you include a day of lying snow in November) and many more where snow has fallen, plus cold temperatures makes it a good winter, even if I do feel we've been diddled on the big snowfall.

Reminds me a lot of 78/79, or should I say what I've read about 78/79 (was only 7, remember the big snowfall but thats it), and the reason it reminds me so is not synoptics, but the snowfall spread. Even if we don't include the very unusual October snowfall, and the November snowfall which is technically not winter, we've had a major snow event in each month, in one part of the country or another. 78/79 saw of course the December 78 blizzard in the South West, copious amounts of snow in different parts of the country in January and February, before delivering a staggering mid March snowfall to the North East of England (thats the one I remember, two level feet of snow, even 46cm in Newcastle).

Well its followed a similar sort of pattern this winter....just waiting for the "big one" in the North East, and hell why not? Winter ain't over yet.

Posted

I would say the South in general terms has done far better than the North in this cold spell in terms of snow.

However don't forget for those in the North....some of you did have a significant and notable snow event in early December which the South didn't get.

Its all too easy to forget that we have had the October snowfall too so all in all, it has been a pretty lengthy winter. It is for this reason I wouldnt mind if cold spells weren't to occur in March or April.

Regards, hgb

Posted

12 inches of snow last week and around two lots of 2 inches of snow before that would be classed as a very good winter for the South Pennines(Central North) of England....Scotlands ski resorts seem to of done pretty good as do Englands ski slopes and as a bonus the SW of england/Wales and briefley the SE have all had snow, infact is there anywhere it hasn't snowed in the UK?