Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Photos Of Late Season Snowfalls

Weather-history

Posted

Here are a small collection of photos or photos from newspapers I have of late season snowfalls.

18th May 1891

A snowy scene from Northamptonshire, strange photo almost looks like a sketch

May1891k.jpg

24th April 1908, near Luton. Photo by W. Cole Finch

A1908a173.jpg

17th May 1935, photo from the Guardian newspaper

M1935a155.jpg

26th April 1950, Tudor House, Camberley, Surrey

A1950a174.jpg

A1950b175.jpg

2nd June 1975. Cricket ground at Buxton

snow.jpg

Here is from the Times of the 25th of April 1981

Apr1981a.jpg

Posted

Brilliant stuff...having snow in June must be a once in a 200 year event or something like that!! As a matter of interest, how far south was snow reported in June 1975?

Snowfalls in April are far more common these days though....I think more so than in the past.

One of the most potent April cold snaps has to be April 2001 with a cold northerly outbreak.

Regards, hgb

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I believe showers of sleet were reported as far south as Plymouth on 2nd June 1975- not sure about snow showers.

April snowfalls aren't more frequent than they used to be, but it might seem that way because the frequency of snow has declined less in April than it has in the first three months of the year. I remember the northerly of April 2001 being pretty bog-standard- those of 1998, 1999 and 2000 all had more potent northerlies. Lancaster's max on 14 April 1998 was only 2.6C.

Good to see those pictures- the snow in June in particular must have been astonishing to witness.

Posted
I believe showers of sleet were reported as far south as Plymouth on 2nd June 1975- not sure about snow showers.

April snowfalls aren't more frequent than they used to be, but it might seem that way because the frequency of snow has declined less in April than it has in the first three months of the year. I remember the northerly of April 2001 being pretty bog-standard- those of 1998, 1999 and 2000 all had more potent northerlies. Lancaster's max on 14 April 1998 was only 2.6C.

Good to see those pictures- the snow in June in particular must have been astonishing to witness.

6th April 2008 brought widespread snow to many parts of the country and not just a couple of cm's but it was a few inches in some spots I recall. Still don't see snow in April as anything unusual, but May yes that would be, 1997 the last time any low lying areas saw snow falling. I think October last year was much more notable as we again have seen very little snow in recent Octobers. Sometimes though in the heat of the summer I am reminded of snow when we catch a very heavy hailstorm. There are reports in the past of hail being so thick that it almost looked like snow. Would be an interesting new thread I think, in fact I'm going to start one.

Posted

i witnessed the snow in june event. i lived in rural oxfordshire and it was amazing to wake up to a snowy scene in june. i have a pic somewhere of me in the snow in the garden. it melted by late afternoon i think. i was pretty young so all a bit hazy!

Posted
As a matter of interest, how far south was snow reported in June 1975?

Regards, hgb

I lived at home with my parents in Harrow north west London at the time and remember the event vividly. I watched from my bedroom window as the snow came down, whilst listening ironically to the Rain Song by Led Zeppelin! Later that year Genesis released Wind and Wuthering with the line 'when the evil of a snowflake in June, could still be a source of relief' from the track Mad Man Moon. Halcyon days.

ffO.