Cold?
IGNORED

Early Spring

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Amazingly it's looking like we're going to have an early spring. The contrast from last week is amazing and looks continuing for the foreseeable future anyway.

Who would have thought of it. At one time we were all talking of below 3c CET for the first in a long time and now we're looking how close too or above average it'll get.

Posted

Agreed, PIT - and today's the first day when I can really say it feels springlike here, with some decent sunny spells at last as well as mild temperatures (it's been mild here the past week, but we've spent much of the time here shrouded in fog and have only seen the sun fleetingly).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Sill dull and depressing here. Sun forecast to maybe make a brief appearance later but the weather here feels not remotely springlike. However, the temperatures are obviously much milder than of late, currently sitting at 9C, and would rise a few degrees above that I suspect if the sun actually managed to make an appearance.

Posted

Positively springlike here today and was very sunny earlier but it's a bit more overcast now, although still feeling pretty mild.

Posted

It does feel like spring at the moment. Ive just got back from walking the dog and saw many signs of spring that didn't seem to be there last week when it was cold and snowy. Daffodils are well on the way now, I saw lots of flower heads and a few hawthorn hedges were beginning to bud. Looking at the charts i think it will remain mild for a while but I wouldn't be at all suprised if we had at least one more cold outbreak with some snow.

Posted

Springlike here, although the amount of cloud in the last 4 days or so

is very disappointing :lol: Feeling pretty mild out and about though.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Not springlike here.

You know it's not spring when sunny days are cold, and cloudy days are mild.

Posted

Just come back from the Pub where we all sat in the sun in the pub garden in shirtsleeves. Most enjoyable. Not just sunny but pleasant.

Edited by Nick.F

Posted

It may end up being an early Spring, but in terms of recent years it's later due to how cold this Winter has been. An example being that Snowdrops and some Crocusses have only come through in an abundance that happened a full month to five weeks earlier last year!

There's been something of a pattern this winter with the first half of months being much colder than the second halves. I wonder if this will continue into March, my birthday is right at the end of February and has traditionally (excluding last year) in recent years been cold and wintry.

Sill dull and depressing here. Sun forecast to maybe make a brief appearance later but the weather here feels not remotely springlike. However, the temperatures are obviously much milder than of late, currently sitting at 9C, and would rise a few degrees above that I suspect if the sun actually managed to make an appearance.

The cloud is gradually being eroded if you check out the sattelite images, I reckon you'll have clearer sky by 17.00 just in time for sunset :lol: !

Posted

It's a joy - it's actually feeling warm for the first time in months! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy cold and snow, but there comes a time when there's just been too much, you just want a smooth transition to a generally settled (April showers notwithstanding) spring. And can't wait for summer either - means cricket and beach for me! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
The cloud is gradually being eroded if you check out the sattelite images, I reckon you'll have clearer sky by 17.00 just in time for sunset :lol: !

This happened yesterday, except in time for nightfall :lol: :) . It ended up getting colder than forecasted as a consequence. However, today it's happening earlier, it's still cloudy but there actually is an occasional sunny spell :) !

Posted

Certainly does not feel like spring here, its cool and cloudy and in all honesty, a very boring winters day, i wonder if tomorrow's predicted high of 13C will actually occur here, if it does and we get some sunshine i might at last say that it feels like early spring outside.

Temps this afternoon nationwide are mostly high single digits, with only a few double figures, nothing exceptionally mild unlike this time last year where we had sunny spring days(with temps up to 15C, and probably higher in places aswell) although night time tempertures were right into the negatives.

No signs of spring in terms of nature either, trees are showing the first signs of budding but it will be quite a while before we see the first signs of blossom here. There is a tree in my street which produces cherry blossom and i noticed the first signs of blossom on that tree right at the beginning of March last year, no chance of that happening this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just been out playing football and I was surprised at how warm it was. I hate it when it's like this. Because you have a combination of the very muddy pitch and the warmth. But Spring is definitely in the air, still no daffodils properly coming through yet though.

Posted

Certainly spring like here. So spring like I've left my jacket at work by mistake.

Temperatures more like March.

Trees won't be showing signs of doing anything yet as they've only just had there buds frozen off so that bit is thawing out. keeps on this way things will be starting to move along by the end of next week. Nice thing about the winter the grass hasn't grown unlike previous years. This could also change so I may have to cut it next week.

As for people finding it cold it shows to much central heating and being used to very mild winters. :)

Posted

Its certainly mild out there. I have recorded my first double figure temps over the last week, not seen any for what seems like months. Just a shame the sun isn't out :) Untill i get some sun it won't feel like spring to me

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Doesnt feel anything like spring, everyone thinks it is because of how cold it has been recentley if this was last year everyone would say it was cool not warm, cloudy here and feels cold outside, inside however it is much warmer, havent seen sun though for the past few days :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It has been springlike in a few days this week, but today is very wintry feeling at 9C and a cold wind. Not just that there was a frost this morning, and not a light one either it was a quite harsh hoar frost. Winter is still here and will continue to be for a long time yet.

Posted
It has been springlike in a few days this week, but today is very wintry feeling at 9C and a cold wind. Not just that there was a frost this morning, and not a light one either it was a quite harsh hoar frost. Winter is still here and will continue to be for a long time yet.

9c and cold whimp whimp. :) T shirt weather. Funny how last Saturday I was slipping and sliding down to the football match. Massive change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
There's been something of a pattern this winter with the first half of months being much colder than the second halves. I wonder if this will continue into March, my birthday is right at the end of February and has traditionally (excluding last year) in recent years been cold and wintry.

Indeed Andy, looking back your birthday has been an interesting date for nearly every year:

2001 - Cloudy with snow showers

2002 - Sunshine with mixed wintry showers

2003 - Rain

2004 - Sunny after heavy snow showers in the morning

2005 - Cloudy with lying snow

2006 - Sunshine with snow showers

2007 - 2 Thunderstorms!

2008 - Cloudy with some rain

2009 - Calm and mild ??

I wouldn't mind an early spring if no cold is on the way. Last March was very wet here so a drier one would be nice, especially in the second half when if there is an Azores high the sun is strong enough to disperse the awful cloud that comes with it like we have had for the last week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
9c and cold whimp whimp. :) T shirt weather. Funny how last Saturday I was slipping and sliding down to the football match. Massive change.

In February 9C feels absolutely freezing brrr!

If there was no wind it would feel pleasant indeed! I dont think I'd go as far as wearing a T-shirt though :) Even at 15C unless its very humid and no breeze I wouldnt even consider a t-shirt, it's not comfortable.

Posted

11C to 13 c forecast tomorrow. Spring does arrive. Remember you can have cold spells in spring and it'll be here shortly anyway.

Wonder how long it will last.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

UK Outlook for Wednesday 25 Feb 2009 to Friday 6 Mar 2009:

On Wednesday southern areas will be mainly dry but northern areas are likely to have outbreaks of rain. Then Thursday should be a bit cooler and rather windy with the likelihood of scattered showers, especially in the north where they may turn wintry in places. Friday and Saturday should be mainly dry in the south but further rain or showers are likely in the north, these perhaps wintry in nature on hills, and accompanied by strong winds. The threat of rain will spread to southern areas on Sunday, and there is also an increasing frost risk as we head through the weekend. The unsettled theme is most likely to continue through the first week of March, with temperatures generally near or slightly below the seasonal average.

Updated: 1200 on Fri 20 Feb 2009

Posted
UK Outlook for Wednesday 25 Feb 2009 to Friday 6 Mar 2009:

On Wednesday southern areas will be mainly dry but northern areas are likely to have outbreaks of rain. Then Thursday should be a bit cooler and rather windy with the likelihood of scattered showers, especially in the north where they may turn wintry in places. Friday and Saturday should be mainly dry in the south but further rain or showers are likely in the north, these perhaps wintry in nature on hills, and accompanied by strong winds. The threat of rain will spread to southern areas on Sunday, and there is also an increasing frost risk as we head through the weekend. The unsettled theme is most likely to continue through the first week of March, with temperatures generally near or slightly below the seasonal average.

Updated: 1200 on Fri 20 Feb 2009

Well they've got to say that to give my CET punt a chance !!!!!