Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Canon Sx1 And Sx10

Posted

Hiya,

T'other half is looking to get a new camera to replace his Canon A650. He's looking for a nearly DSLR (he particularly wants the video capability of the compacts) and the Canon SX1 or SX10 seem to fulfil all criteria for a good bridge.

Has anyone got any ideas?

We've always gone with Canon as they've done us well in the past, but if anyone has any other ideas, would be good to know (e.g. The Panasonic LX28 seems to be a goody as the Leica lenses are attractive).

Thanks for your help :D

Posted

I recently bought myself a Canon G10. I was tempted by the super zooms, but they end up having to compromise a lot to get the range. My G10 is a pro-compact (if that makes sense) with as good an image quality as you're going to get out of a compact, with a decent zoom (28mm to 140mm lens) 14.7 megapixels (on a decent size sensor) and it's smaller than a bridge. It's also got full manual controls and all the features you'd find on a DSLR.

You'd lose some super-zoom (which you might not ever use) but get better image quality in a better-built, smaller package.

Posted

Thanks for that OON. I know the G10 was also on the list, if he was going to spend the SX1 price.

I think he liked the SX10 because, for the lower price, it seems to be a pretty good all rounder and one of the best of the under 300 quid cameras. Also, I know he likes the flip out screen of the A650 which, although not a deal breaker, is pretty useful in bright light, etc.

Edited by Roo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I have the non-superzoom Lumix and it's a fine point and shoot compact with a fair number of manual features, but it's a step down (at least) from the G10, which is an exceptional camera for it's size. The super-zooms I've seen have always looked dark and pixelly beyond about 250mm equivalent, though of course they are a compromise, but if you need long focal lengths, then I'd always go second-hand DSLR and long zoom over a new super-zoom compact (if portability wasn't a consideration).

Oon, does Canon do a teleconverter for the G10? If so, that might be the answer. If it's small size that's the key, then the new Lumix SLR is very dinky. They had one in our local LCE and it's tiny! Supposed to be pretty decent though. I can't think of a compact better than the G10 at the minute, unless you want to pay daft prices.

Posted

You can get a teleconverter for the G10, but with a decent size sensor and 15million pixels, you can also crop pretty well to get a similar effect.

The reason I didn't go for a super-zoom in the end was that having had a DSLR for a couple of years with a normal zoom and a big zoom, I only ever really used the wide-angle lens. But then, landscapes are my thing really.

Posted

Well we've had a bit of a break through. The reason Mr Roo was getting a new camera was that he had dropped the first one (from 3 feet onto carpet, would you believe) and we had the lens error of death and a cracked lens rim.

I phoned the insurance people, fully expecting to be fobbed off or have to wait 6 weeks whilst they decided that yes it was broken and we would have to have it repaired.

But, on the same day, they have offered to replace it, like for like (how?????), with a SX1, so we just have to pay the excess and it's ours.

The moral of the story: It is true. LV = smiles :lol:

I am so impressed with them as it's not the first time we've had to claim (we suffered a leaky roof following a big storm) and they've always been really, really friendly and helpful. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Posted

Ah, well, my mum's cat peed on the carpet in the corner of her sitting room, and being old she demanded that the insurance company replace it for her. So, because of a small bit of cat pee, she's getting her £50/sq ft carpet replaced and has kindly offered me the old one which would easily do the kids' playroom.

Nice of her I hear you think...the old bat wants £100 for it.

Posted
Ah, well, my mum's cat peed on the carpet in the corner of her sitting room, and being old she demanded that the insurance company replace it for her. So, because of a small bit of cat pee, she's getting her £50/sq ft carpet replaced and has kindly offered me the old one which would easily do the kids' playroom.

Nice of her I hear you think...the old bat wants £100 for it.

I think you should let the insurance company know that she is selling it on. And, whilst she was inside, you could claim her assets and move into her empty home. No worries about re-carpeting the kids bedrooms then, eh?