Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ian Curries Weather Predictions 2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

My friend passed me an article from our local Sutton Post about a meteorologist called Ian Currie who in recent years has issued year long predictions which he says are "80% accurate". Here is what he has forecast for 2009. Never heard of him personally but will be interesting to follow through the year to see how accurate he is. Especially as he has even hinted of a white Christmas......

February will have an unsettled start but it will be drier in the second half. For a while it will turn quite mild but later in the month, as high pressure builds to the north east, winds will bring colder weather with frosts and snow showers.

March looks set to be cold with frequent north east winds. As a result, frost and snow will be above average, delaying plant growth. The middle of the month may be briefly milder and wetter.

April too will be a chilly month with east winds prevailing. There will be quite a few frosty nights but it will be drier than average.

May looks set to be on the warm side. It will turn warmer as the wind turns to the South. In the second half of the month, especially, it will be quite wet with some heavy thundery rain.

June will be near average for rainfall and temperature but with a few days exceeding 28 c (82 f). Sunshine may be below average.

July will not be anything special. Rainfall will be normal and although the sun may not come out as much as we'd like, some days should see temperatures climb to 28 or higher.

August will start with similar conditions to July but the second half of the month will turn warmer and may reach 30 c during the last week which will precede a warm autumn.

September will provide an "Indian Summer" at times with a number of days exceeding 21 c

October looks like being a particularly dry month and at times quite warm, with a continuation of the Indian Summer conditions.

November too looks like being drier than average but the temperature will be back down to average with frost and fog prevailing during the second half.

December will be fairly unsettled. It will be quite mild at first but will turn quite cold in the second half with a distinct possibility of a white Christmas..........

Posted

Interesting, however, i'm going to presume this is all speculation and sounds decidedly similar to every other year!!!

Posted

The usual bland stuff. What did he say for January? Wrong about the last third of February. How he can make this claim with any pretence of accuracy is beyond me:

a distinct possibility of a white Christmas..........
September will provide an "Indian Summer" at times with a number of days exceeding 21 c

Most Septembers produce such temperatures.

July ... temperatures climb to 28 or higher.

What insight and bravery...

Edited by Nick H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I agree. If he sticks his neck out much further, he'll look like Gladstone Small! :)

Posted

well good luck to him if he pulls off an accurate forecast. but i have my doubts. especially when he ends November being cold

....with frost and fog prevailing during the second half.

but starts december being mild

....It will be quite mild at first but will turn.....

i suppose if you base a forecast on yearly/monthly averages you are going to be generally close :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

"Distinct possibility of a White Xmas" - You can't predict Xmas accurately 10 days away, let alone 10 months!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
Interesting, however, i'm going to presume this is all speculation and sounds decidedly similar to every other year!!!

Funny you say that - I thought exactly the same !

Posted

If you had banked on a number of days exceeding 28C in the last two Julys, how well would you have done?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Nevermind "Ian Curries" predictions for 2009 , I want to see what "Ian Brown" has to say about it!!! :rolleyes::D:D :o

Posted
If you had banked on a number of days exceeding 28C in the last two Julys, how well would you have done?

9 times in 2008, believe it or not. It is very rare for a July not to record at least one 28°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Anyone who says white Christmas only a few months after the one just gone, and such and such a month will 'not be anything special' is not worth reading, in my sceptical opinion. No offence to Ian Currie, but nice try.