Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vp2/weatherlink Connection Problems

Posted

My VP2 connects to my computer via a USB Weatherlink data logger.

It works fine every day for a bit, then reports a "station communication error". I then have to unplug the USB cable (which makes the machine beepybob), plug it back in (beepybobs again) and then it works once more....for a while.

I'm running the latest software and drivers. I've tried the old software and drivers. I've tried the original and old and new USB cables and I've tried other USB ports and via a hub.

Any ideas?

The prize for the person who helps sort this is a night out with Yeti.

For those that don't help...they have to spend a week with him.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hi Osbourne,

I had and still have the exact same problem as you. Sometimes it can last a day or two without getting the error and then other times it happens several times a day. I actually rang Davis in the usa regarding this and they kindly sent me an insulator type thingie (slips over cable with magnets either side) free of charge in the post. The other advise they gave me at the time was to download the latest software version and/or switch to battery power only. I still tend to leave it plugged into the mains and continue to get the error.

Let me know if you do ever solve this issue as it seems Davis cannot.

Kind Regards

Tony

Hi Osbourne,

Replying to my own post I just checked an email that linked the following

http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/software_sftwr.asp

Try this and so will I as there appears to have been another update.

Regards

Tony (Stormboy)

Posted

Thanks Tony!

I actually emailed Davis this morning, not expecting a reply, but they did and confirmed what you said. I've switched to battery power only and so far haven't had the fault reoccur, but then I've gone a few hours without it showing up when powered too, so I'm going to take some convincing.

I used some of those magnet insulator things with a previous cabled version, so I might well try that too. As for the software, I actually updated that yesterday too, but it made no difference (on its own anyway).

I'll let you know how I get on!

Posted

Still battery power, and still no fault.

On the one hand, therefore, I'm pleased that I've fixed the problem. On the other hand, however, I'm a bit left trouser leged off that the power supply to the station causes a problem!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
Still battery power, and still no fault.

On the one hand, therefore, I'm pleased that I've fixed the problem. On the other hand, however, I'm a bit left trouser leged off that the power supply to the station causes a problem!

I'm going to be very surprised that's going to be the fix. I suspect it'll go again sooner than later.

My own feeling is that it's due to the poor quality connector on the usb cable itself. If you're brave why not solder a direct link in theory as long as the cables colours are identical it should be pin to pin.

I only had to slightly move the cable to get a disconnection. When I replaced it with a serial version the contacts on the connection cable had almost gone altogether.