Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Equipment/shopping Lists!

Ross B

Posted

Just wondering what everyone is taking with them to the states and what they still need to get?

I'm pretty sure this question gets asked every year so it would be good to have a topic about it that we can update and move over into the chase forum at a later date. It might give everyone some more ideas of stuff they need as well.

Got/Bought

Camera: Canon 400D with Standard, Zoom and wide angle lenses. 2 batteries (Already had)

Vid Camera: Sony HDR-SR10E with 40GB hard drive and memory card slot. For HD storm goodness :lol: (Bought)

Storage: WD passport 250GB external hard drive. (Bought)

2 8GB Scandisc Extreme 3 compact flash cards for the camera (Bought)

Laptop: An ageing Packard Bell of some sort...

Other: 2 Tripods. Probably only take one with me though (Already had)

4 Way British plug extension thing with american plug. (Bought)

Memory Card reader (Already had)

Want/Need

Another Battery for video camera - Maybe

Filters for camera

Clothes

Laptop - Maybe

I will update when i remember any more... I wont be buying much more until i can find out if i am going definitely though :)

Posted

An excellent Thread Ross and One i had completely forgotten to add to the Chase Forum - Thanks

Got/Taking

Barons Wx - An essential piece of Kit

Streets and Trips 2008 (GPS Kit)

Laptop Wifi Enabled

3 x Microsoft GPS Recievers

Verizon Datacard to run GRLevel3 and Live Stream whilst on the Move

Tripod

2 x Canon EOS Batteries

2 x Panasonic Video Recorder Batteries

1 x CanonXs

1 x Canon 400d

1 x Panasonic Handy Cam

1 x 1Gb Scandisc Card

1 x 2Gb Scandisc Card

12 x DAT (Digital Audio Tapes)

Polarising Filter

Remote Release Cable

70-300mm Canon Lens

18-55mm Canon Lens

10-28mm Canon Lens

About 10 cables and Invertors for what we need to run in the Cars

4 way adaptor (Essential for when we are in the Hotel)

1 x UK/USA Plug Adaptor

1 x Dashboard Suction Mount

2 x Radio Units (6 Mile Range)

2 x Weather Radios

Clothes

Shades

Open toe Sandals

Trainers

Waterproof / Fleece

Cd's - This is useful as we can alternate the Music XM Radio gets repetative

Passport

Money

Flight Tickets

INSURANCE

The list goes on and On

Will also add on things as I remember them

Paul S

Posted

Heres my list

Got/Bought

Asus Eee 1000 webook 120gig Wifi enabled

External HDD 500gig

5 x 4gig ScandiskIII Extreme

12gig CFC Cards

Canon Rebel XTI Digital ...for Lightning shots

Casio EXFI..camera HD/FHD....video/pics

Small Olympus camera for general use

LIghtning Trigger...my pride and Joy

Vortex camera Ruck Sack for cameras(waterproof)

10 pp3 batteries(lightning Trigger)

5x Np-100 casio batteries

2x Canon batteries

3 usb leads

1 suction mount

3 battery chargers..one for back up

1 black filter

UK to USA plug

4 way extension

4 way lighter extension

plug in Power pack in car for Casio ExF1

One Tripod

One Water Proof Camera Sleave with rubber padding for Hail damage :)

Remote Casio lead

Remote Canon lead

Infra red Canon remote

Waiting for 2 more Casio NP-100 batteries

Im all set :)

and oh my God Paul...you have a Electronics Shop :lol:

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

That's a lot of stuff! What type of bags are people taking? looks a lot to fit in.

Someone mentioned a while back that it would be easier to buy a tripod from Wallmart, but are you all packing your own?

I'm going to get another 1 or 2 batteries for my 450D, and another couple of big SD cards too.

I would love a wide angle lens, but they are a bit expensive. I might have to just dig deep and get one as I imagine it's pretty essential out there. For zoom i've got a sony H9 with 15x optical zoom and a 1.5x telephoto extension.

Also thinking of getting a HD camcorder used off Ebay then selling it when I get back, hopefully at little or no loss.

Good thread this, i'm sure i'll be checking your lists often to make sure I don't forget stuff.

Posted
That's a lot of stuff! What type of bags are people taking? looks a lot to fit in.

Someone mentioned a while back that it would be easier to buy a tripod from Wallmart, but are you all packing your own?

I'm going to get another 1 or 2 batteries for my 450D, and another couple of big SD cards too.

I would love a wide angle lens, but they are a bit expensive. I might have to just dig deep and get one as I imagine it's pretty essential out there. For zoom i've got a sony H9 with 15x optical zoom and a 1.5x telephoto extension.

Also thinking of getting a HD camcorder used off Ebay then selling it when I get back, hopefully at little or no loss.

Good thread this, i'm sure i'll be checking your lists often to make sure I don't forget stuff.

check out these bags.............

I got mine off ebay which was cheaper than the Retail price

Fit lots in these

http://vidego.productvideocast.com/player.php?p=l744z674

Posted

I have one of these for my camera stuff and laptop: http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm although not in red! It's the one i use for hill walking as well so it should be up to the task :D

One thing you can do and i just remembered about it! You can rent lenses and probably video cameras before you go. I'm sure i have seen a good website that offers this.

I would never risk re-selling something on ebay, you will most likely make a loss!

As for the tripod, i might just pack them. If i want to take 2 i can throw one in my bro's luggage. Although, i guess if people on tour 1 buy cheap tripods from walmart they might just leave them in the car instead of taking them back? :lol:

Posted

OK, here's my stuff so far. I'm sure there will be more....

Canon 450 D

Sony DCR 40 Handycam

Fujifilm Finepix J90 point and shoot

Canon EFS 18 – 55 mm Lens

Canon EF 70 – 200 mm L Series Lens

2 x USB Cables

2 x 4 GB SDHC Cards

Spare HC battery for Handycam

Remote Cable for Canon 450

Infared Remote for Canon

Infared Remote for Handycam

1 Small tripod. Will buy cheap bigger tripod over there.

1 Dell Latitude D530

External 250 GB HDD

Strikealert portable lightning detector

Home made lightning trigger addon that plugs into strikealert.

6 way UK / Ireland socket board with US plug

Pocket Loox Sat Nav with US Maps

12v to 230v 350w inverter with UK / Ireland Socket

12 Pairs of socks

2 Pairs of jeans (brought 4 last year) wont be wearing jeans that often

6 or 7 pairs of shorts

Sandals

2 pairs of underpants. 1 for chase days and 1 for down days :D :lol:

Posted

2 pairs of underpants. 1 for chase days and 1 for down days :D:D

:D :lol: :lol: Dirty Boy!

Posted
I have one of these for my camera stuff and laptop: http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm although not in red! It's the one i use for hill walking as well so it should be up to the task :D

One thing you can do and i just remembered about it! You can rent lenses and probably video cameras before you go. I'm sure i have seen a good website that offers this.

I would never risk re-selling something on ebay, you will most likely make a loss!

As for the tripod, i might just pack them. If i want to take 2 i can throw one in my bro's luggage. Although, i guess if people on tour 1 buy cheap tripods from walmart they might just leave them in the car instead of taking them back? :lol:

My Uncle has just said I can borrow his, I think it's the Adventure 7 on this page...

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm

Here's a couple of the rental websites...

http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/index.asp

http://www.hireacamera.com/

I think i'm just going to buy a wide angle lens though, i'm sure it'll be useful after the storm chase, and i've been wanting one for a while. Maybe the Sigma 10-20mm.

As for the video camera, I think i'll take the risk with Ebay, the loss should be smaller than the rental cost.

Have you got your exam dates yet Ross?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

2 pairs of underpants. 1 for chase days and 1 for down days :lol: :D

Shouldn't that be three pairs - just in case an F5 gets too close?? :lol:

Posted
My Uncle has just said I can borrow his, I think it's the Adventure 7 on this page...

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm

Here's a couple of the rental websites...

http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/index.asp

http://www.hireacamera.com/

I think i'm just going to buy a wide angle lens though, i'm sure it'll be useful after the storm chase, and i've been wanting one for a while. Maybe the Sigma 10-20mm.

As for the video camera, I think i'll take the risk with Ebay, the loss should be smaller than the rental cost.

Have you got your exam dates yet Ross?

That is the lens i have and it is great for the price :lol: Copying my bag and my lenses, i should have kept quiet :lol: Only kidding :D

Good luck with the video camera, you could always keep it?

I will hopefuly be getting exam dates this week, i'll let everyone know and probably book flights if i can go. Are you flying from Heathrow yeah?

Posted
That is the lens i have and it is great for the price :lol: Copying my bag and my lenses, i should have kept quiet :lol: Only kidding :D

Good luck with the video camera, you could always keep it?

I will hopefuly be getting exam dates this week, i'll let everyone know and probably book flights if i can go. Are you flying from Heathrow yeah?

Yes, Heathrow on the 19th, American Airlines flight 51.

Not sure how i'm getting down there yet, probably train but if i'm lucky my Mam says she might take me in the car.

I was looking to get a good HD video camera, at around £500. I don't think I would use it again anyway so probably best to sell it on.

I'll keep an eye on Ebay, I would like to get that Sigma lens under £300 if possible.

Posted

Multi...Try http://www.megabus.com/landing.php

Im going to London return for 8 quid...they do National....

Anyone know of a link that shows the difference from Standard lens to Wide angle lense....pics

Considering getting one...Probaly just about manage it now as Im slowly getting to the end of my budget

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Yes, Heathrow on the 19th, American Airlines flight 51.

Not sure how i'm getting down there yet, probably train but if i'm lucky my Mam says she might take me in the car.

I was looking to get a good HD video camera, at around £500. I don't think I would use it again anyway so probably best to sell it on.

I'll keep an eye on Ebay, I would like to get that Sigma lens under £300 if possible.

They have shot up in price hugely with the exchange rate haven't they? If we are talking about the same lens i think i got mine for £200 or less brand new!

Posted
Multi...Try http://www.megabus.com/landing.php

Im going to London return for 8 quid...they do National....

Anyone know of a link that shows the difference from Standard lens to Wide angle lense....pics

Considering getting one...Probaly just about manage it now as Im slowly getting to the end of my budget

Never thought of the bus, those prices are great. I'll keep that in mind :lol:

They have shot up in price hugely with the exchange rate haven't they? If we are talking about the same lens i think i got mine for £200 or less brand new!

This is it on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-10-20mm-f4-5...M/dp/B0007U00X0

Can't find any cheaper than that for a new one from the UK. Some on Ebay go for around £300. Looks like you got lucky!

Posted
Never thought of the bus, those prices are great. I'll keep that in mind :D

This is it on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-10-20mm-f4-5...M/dp/B0007U00X0

Can't find any cheaper than that for a new one from the UK. Some on Ebay go for around £300. Looks like you got lucky!

Ouch! Thats the right one, not a chance i paid anywhere near that much for it! I notice it is 480 on jessops as well :lol:

It is the lens i use the most, if it wasn't i would consider selling it seeing those prices!

Posted

I will to stick to my Standard Lens :lol:

as I ve worked out my budget for the next 6 weeks and cant really afford this fantastic lens..Maybe next year.

Got another 2 batteries for the video camera on order..

Thats about it for me apart from buying a water proof Rain Mack :D

Got enough long shorts for the journey...

maybe buy another pair of trainers

not long now :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I know you've said this morning that you are going to wait, but I thought I'd show you a comparison anyway since I've taken some :)

Using a Canon 40d (1.6x crop factor) aiming in the rough direction of the transmission tower on the hill half a mile behind the house... It wasn't easy hanging out of the window, so don't judge the images against the lenses... There's some blurriness due to camera shake and the windows gets in the way in a few shots ;)

I ideally want a zoom lens between the wide angle and the telephoto, but funds won't allow me at the moment. I'm torn between the 24-70L F2.8 and the 24-105L F4. Both are a little on the expensive side unfortunately ;)

10mm - Sigma EX 10-20 F4.5-5.6

IMG_2431.JPG

20mm - Sigma EX 10-20 F4.5-5.6

IMG_2432.JPG

50mm - Canon 50mm F1.8

IMG_2433.JPG

100mm - Canon 100-400L F4.5-5.6

IMG_2434.JPG

200mm - Canon 100-400L F4.5-5.6

IMG_2435.JPG

400mm - Canon 100-400L F4.5-5.6

IMG_2438.JPG

The Sigma lens is a beauty when it comes to Lanscapes. You can almost be under the meso and still take in all the structure. Saying that, a lot of my structure shots were still done at the 20mm end so an ultra wide isn't always necessary. I'd propably use my nifty fifty for Tornado shots, and I'm only really taking my 100-400 for wildlife shots on down days (Golden Eagles and the like).I could see me using that at the 100mm end for distant tornadoes however if road options don't allow a safe intercept at a closer range.

Edited by Gorky

Posted

wow...thats some telephoto lens...and so clear...

Its like a telescope..lol...picture quality for that distance superb

I did find a good video on you tube of pics taken in standard and the Sigma wide angle...

I was very impressed....

I also like the Canon telephoto lens you have there...

All these lenses are extremely expensive...

I nearly bought one on ebay but due to only 6 weeks to go I thought I better not....Still got to get some

money together....

So Im gutted but when I come back I will hopefully save up to get one

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

The 1.6 crop factor gives it an approximate focal length of 640mm which is why it's so nice at the longer ranges. Completely impractical for photographing tornadoes of course unless you want to focus in on a suction vortex but then you'd have to worry about that lens' low light capabilities vs a fast moving object and I'm sure it would come out terrible ;) I should note that that also makes the 10mm wide angle appear equivalent to 16mm on a full frame camera so you lose out at the wide end but that is more than wide enough anyway :)

You are looking at the best part of £1000 for that 100-400L also. My wallet seriously wished I'd gone with the 400L prime rather than a zoom lens ;)

Edited by Gorky

Posted

good point about light source on telephoto lenses for storms..

after seeing the YouTube clip of the Sigma 10mm 20mm thats going to be my first upgrade when I get back.

Also I will have to check my casio and see what it can do...Havent had it long so still learning...

but its a box of tricks my Casio Exilim

thanks for the advice Nathan

;)

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Just ordered the Sigma 10-20mm lens, £330 was the cheapest I could find anywhere.

Also got two extra batteries for my camera for just £9.

I'm getting there!

Posted
Just ordered the Sigma 10-20mm lens, £330 was the cheapest I could find anywhere.

Also got two extra batteries for my camera for just £9.

I'm getting there!

Congrats mate, you will enjoy it :aggressive:

Anyone got any ideas what filters to buy so that i can get longer exposures during the daytime for lightning? I'm rubbish with filters!

Posted
Congrats mate, you will enjoy it :aggressive:

Anyone got any ideas what filters to buy so that i can get longer exposures during the daytime for lightning? I'm rubbish with filters!

You'll need Neutral Density filters, you can get ND2, ND4 and ND8, with ND8 blocking the most light.

You can also get ND64 which i've just discovered, but they are expensive and hard to find in the UK.

I have an ND4 but I haven't used it much in daylight so i'm not sure how long exposures it would do, I would think still only 1-2 seconds.

The ND64 would certainly work though from what i've read.

Good info here...

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Using-a-...ity-filter-4871