Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen
IGNORED

Spring In Your Step?

Bottesford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Anyone else got a spring in their step with the arrival of warm, sunny spring?

I've found myself doing all sorts of jobs around the house I've put off for many months through winter. Certainly all the outdoor jobs like attaching my cycle computer to my bike (finally after 6 months of having the computer!) and getting rid of all the huge bags of glass (beer mostly) bottles to be recycled.

I've also got the breadmaker machine working that's been in our kitchen since we moved in last year. For ages I've thought I'll get it going but put it off but finally done it today.

I really think the true feeling arrival of spring has made me do all this stuff.

Anyone else feeling the effects of this lovely weekend weather?

No doubt it's the big increase in sunlight that's helping - with days lengthening at their fastest now the brain probably reacts to it - especially with all this sunny weather around.

• Replies 23
    • Created
    • Last Reply
    Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District 290 mts. Wind speed 340 mts
  • Weather Preferences: Rain/snow, fog, gales and cold in every season
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District 290 mts. Wind speed 340 mts

It must by a psychological thing. Even though winter is my favouorite season ( and I like it cold at any time of year ) I've also done various little jobs recently that I could easily have done durnig the winter but didn't.

Servicing all the bikes for one thing, as though preparing for 'the season' even though I cycle during the winter as well as at other times of year.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Certainly enjoyed today's weather - made a long walk this afternoon by the coast even more pleasurable with the warmth of the sun - everyone out and about today doing gardening, playing sport in the local park etc, instead of shut indoors with the curtains drawn. Certainly gives a feeling of well being having the opportunity to do things outdoors without the discomfort of coldness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I felt compelled to go for a random walk around the locality of East Exeter this afternoon- just to make the most of the weather. I think the combination of lack of wind and sunshine was at least as big a factor as the raw air temperature- yesterday was also sunny here, but had a stiff breeze.

Posted

The longer days, and the warm sunshine definately do raise the spirit! We spend so much time indoors during the winter, eating comfort foods,

exercise less, it's like we come out of hibernation! I did some gardening and sorted out the garage, (where does all the junk come from?).

A lovely day, but you know what, I'd still like to see a last wintry blast! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think people are appreciating the Spring warmth more than recent years after the lack of mild weather throughout the Winter.

Posted

:lol: I got out on my motorbike today (R1) looking like a Power ranger! lol.

A bit of gardening tomorrow. :D

Posted

Ground starting to dry properly now after 2 days of strong warm wind so got into the fields today to take off some stones in preparation for sowing spring barley. Have to be in the right frame of mind to go to stone picking so the longer daylight hours and lack of mud seem to spur one on. Spring is definitely in the air!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
    The longer days, and the warm sunshine definately do raise the spirit! We spend so much time indoors during the winter, eating comfort foods,

exercise less, it's like we come out of hibernation! I did some gardening and sorted out the garage, (where does all the junk come from?).

A lovely day, but you know what, I'd still like to see a last wintry blast! :lol:

My sentiments match yours exactly.

As for the length of the spell- it could well end up sunny and dry for another 10 days at this rate! Potential comparisons with the remarkable March 2003 continue to grow stronger. Of course there is still time even after that for a wintry blast, as last April emphatically showed.

I expect a lot of raised moods over the next week or so as the sun shines for long periods almost everywhere.

Posted

its just nice to see it light still at 6pm.

I like winter, but come this time of year Im glad to see the back of it, come the end of summer I will be glad to see the back of that aswell ;)

Posted

Felt quite springlike today, the only diference it has made is that i use my laptop in the graden, but its quite windy so it doesnt feel that good tbh, a bit cold :)

Posted

Its great, much as I love snow, this is even better....

I am still amazed at how quickly the days get longer around this time of year, its getting light now when I wake up at 5:30am

I hope it does not cool down too much throught April, I know we are getting spoilt with these temps

Cheers

FC

Posted
    Its great, much as I love snow, this is even better....

I am still amazed at how quickly the days get longer around this time of year, its getting light now when I wake up at 5:30am

I hope it does not cool down too much throught April, I know we are getting spoilt with these temps

Cheers

FC

Yes the days are lenghtening at there fastest pace right now, however, do remember when the clocks go forward that 5.30am becomes 6.30am, compensation though is the extended light in the evenings, late March/early April much like late oct/early nov is a period of rapid change in the feel of things.

Posted

Been out in the garden past few days, and i have loved every minute of it, spring has truely sprung in my eyes, first sign of cherry blossom seen today and bee's buzzing around, all makes Louby a happy bunny.

Posted

It's been amazing- here in Exeter it's been reaching 14-15C on the last three days, with plenty of sunshine- it genuinely feels more like we're in late April or even May.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we had a spell of weather like this, and then 5 days later be staring at wintry showers and night frosts from an Arctic plunge... :aggressive: Somehow I think it's an outside bet this time around though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

living here for weather sucks big time, everyone else is in warm sunny weather yesterday and today except for here, yesterday was cooler than some days through dec-feb, spring is on hold here, a dismal few days coming up

i dont have 'spring in step' yet living here, monday was a one off spring day

No it wasn't just you mark other parts of the midlands suffered dull conditions most of yesterday and this morning, i'm still puzzled why people are still looking for cold, i've had plenty of it in the winter and autumn just gone, now with the longer days i`m looking for some proper spring warmth with temps into the 20`s seems i`m in the minority though.

Posted

Part of the problem is this assumption that you can only look either for wintry weather or for spring warmth, and not both (which is why we get all of these ridiculous "move on" posts). In practice it is quite possible to welcome both.

And Eugene I'm pretty sure you were all-out for cold last April...

Today has started cloudier in Exeter but I still fully expect it to be bright sunshine by lunchtime. A remarkable spell so far down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
    No it wasn't just you mark other parts of the midlands suffered dull conditions most of yesterday and this morning, i'm still puzzled why people are still looking for cold, i've had plenty of it in the winter and autumn just gone, now with the longer days i`m looking for some proper spring warmth with temps into the 20`s seems i`m in the minority though.

yeah and me, want spring now, dont want this northerly next week, 7oC wind and rain no way, bugger off northerly lets have settled 17oC spring days, be great to see the northerly downgrade less rain and not so much cool feeling wind

Posted

Typical of the "move on it's spring now" view of the charts, like last April when some people were writing off as stonewall a "sunshine and snow showers" setup as they come as a dull wet windy setup. The cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if it's a way of trying to persuade others to "move on" by suggesting that cold = dull and wet and no good to anyone, but for those of us who remember as recently as last April it isn't going to work.

A downgrade of the northerly could just as easily mean a scenario of sunshine, wintry showers and highs of 6-8C being replaced by overcast weather, outbreaks of rain and drizzle and maxima of 5-7C, but milder overall due to much warmer nights.

People are entitled to their opinions on preferred weather, but when it causes blatant bias in viewing of the models and the range of possibilities, it gets tiresome fast.

Archived