Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Carinth's Arctic Sea Ice Watch Thread

Posted

http://arctic-roos.org/

With the onslaught of Summer in the Northern Hemisphere, ice still holding up well.

Over 1 million sq.km up on 2007 and approx half a million sq.km from 2008.

ssmi_ice_area.png

ssmi1_ice_ext.png

And talk about all things cyclical:

ssmi_ice.png

ssmi_mdev_ice-area.png

ssmi_mdev_ice-ext.png

I really don't see anything to worry about.

Nice to see the Hudson Bay retaining ice:

map_amsr_nopacific_latest.png

map_amsr_topaz_latest.png

map_amsr_c_20090623.png

And from these coloured areas, all parts experiencing upturns in sea ice.

http://arctic-roos.org/observations/satell...lity-in-regions

Arctic Roos :lol:

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted

Forecasted sea ice:

map_topaz_latest.png

Actual

map_amsr_nopacific_latest.png

Lot to be said for forecasts/model generation and how wrong they can be. Guess the IPCC use this kind of forecasting technique too to make things look worse than they actually are?

At quick glance, they look pretty much the same, but when you think about million km.sq in extent there is a huge difference in ice, with the forecast not following the actual. Look at the Hudson Strait as a prime example. Not Hudson Bay, the Strait. The forecast has no ice, the actual has tons, and that is the problem.

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted
Lot to be said for forecasts/model generation and how wrong they can be. Guess the IPCC use this kind of forecasting technique too to make things look worse than they actually are?

At quick glance, they look pretty much the same, but when you think about million km.sq in extent there is a huge difference in ice, with the forecast not following the actual. Look at the Hudson Strait as a prime example. Not Hudson Bay, the Strait. The forecast has no ice, the actual has tons, and that is the problem.

They and the deluded will spin it, they always do. It would probably take the sight of penguins walking down Oxford Street for them to admit that there is a small possibilty that they may have been wrong in their 'calculations'.

• 1 month later...
Posted

They and the deluded will spin it, they always do. It would probably take the sight of penguins walking down Oxford Street for them to admit that there is a small possibilty that they may have been wrong in their 'calculations'.

Any updates here guys ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

The outgoing leader of Greenpeace has admitted his organization's recent claim that the Arctic Ice will disappear by 2030 was "a mistake." whistling.gif

http://www.notevilju...-ann-mcelhinney

very intresting indeed.

perhapes if others amitted when they are wrong then the world would listen better.

Edited by badboy657

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

But since 2030 is 21 years away how can we say for definite that anyone is wrong?

Posted

absolutely... you cant guess what will happen but reflect on what has... and what has happened is a factual reduction of sea ice in the Artic. there are going to be fluctuations.. and i do really hope that levels get back to where they were... id rather err on the side of caution..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

But since 2030 is 21 years away how can we say for definite that anyone is wrong?

Have a think about it.

Your argument is like saying, "How can we be sure all humans won't have three arms by 2030?"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Have a think about it.

Your argument is like saying, "How can we be sure all humans won't have three arms by 2030?"

I'd say that TWS's argument is not at all like that. As it's taken about 200,000 years for humanity to evolve from its origins to where it is now, and it had two arms at the beginning and still has two arms, it seems to me to be an infinitessimally small chance that we will become a 3 arm species within the next 20 years. In fact I'd stake my house, my pension and the lives of my children on it not being so.

The Arctic ice on the other hand has shown a marked decline in extent and thickness in the last 30 years or so and while it's unlikely that the Arctic will become ice free in the next 20 years it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

If 40% of humanity were currently in posession of 3 arms, whereas 30 years ago everyone had two, I'd be agreeing with you rather than with TWS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is that a pretty good recovery DXR ?.

Well, it is a 'recovery'; there's no-doubt about that, Ice...Even better with all-but the last three years' ice-extents removed?? :doh::hi:

Posted

Is that a pretty good recovery DXR ?.

Wouldn't you say so by looking at it? Do you agree that is a recovery? Are you not happy to see such a marked improvement in recovering ice?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Wouldn't you say so by looking at it? Do you agree that is a recovery? Are you not happy to see such a marked improvement in recovering ice?

By looking at it, yes. But, having all data previous to 2007 removed, of course it looks good (skewed?), Monds...

I do think a 'longer-term' context is more meaningful though, don't you? :rolleyes:

Posted

This is what I see Mondy when I look at your graph.

Is this a recovery ?, I am not sure it is tbh, as ice has been melting quicker this summer than last year, we need to see where it ends up.

post-6326-12512930139519_thumb.png

Posted

This is what is shows for me Mondy, I've included the bit that says it was posted yesterday. I also refreshed by cache.

Is it a live link ? and has the data changed again ?. The problem with the SMMI data is that it has a habit of jumping around as there are so many technical glitches with it, I think they are going to retire it in the next 18 months.

post-6326-12512976518082_thumb.png