Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Introducing The Netweather 2009 Storm Chasing Teams

Paul Sherman

Posted

With just over 3 weeks to go until we head Stateside like last year we thought we would give you a flavour of the lucky Participants on this years Chases. We will be out in the States for 37 days again from April 26th Until May 31st 2009. So here are some short Biographies on the Members who are making the trip across the Pond this year. Don't forget to watch the Live Streaming this year as well!!

PAUL SHERMAN - TOUR LEADER & DRIVER TOURS 1,2 & 3

-------------------

Paul is a 36 year old Company Director from Leigh On Sea in Essex. I am married to Louise and have 3 Children named Chloe, Abbie & Sienna. Work takes me to Central London 6 days a week, but I manage to get staff cover when anything extreme weather wise turns up in the Uk Not that it ever does !!

This will be my 6th year out in the States and by the end of it will have clocked up over 120 Chase days, so my novice days are well behind me now. Last years Chase was my best ever with 15 Tornadoes over the 35 days, none of the other guys had ever seen Storms that severe and just to see their jaws hit the deck on numerous occasions satisfied me no end. I am hopeful it is as busy as last season but with the Storms over Open Prairie and Not built up towns. I am really looking forward to pooling my forecast experience with Nick F Once again this year and also having the Live Streaming hopefully when Severe Weather strikes we can relay everything to you guys in the comfort of your armchairs. Still lots to do technical side wise for the trip but cannot wait to forge new horizons and see where the road takes us. I say this every year but the Tornado is really the icing on the cake for me, but just seeing these incredible Statues in the Sky does it for me and being able to see Mother Nature at her most incredible Fury gives me my yearly fix.

NICK FINNIS - BARONS OPERATOR & FORECASTER TOUR 3

Nick is 33 years old and currently works as an insurance officer for a local council. Nick has had a long interest in Weather from a young age, not just storms but other types of more extreme weather such as snow, etc. Nick has studied the dynamics of how the weather works quite profusely since the start of the Internet age mainly due to the wealth of knowledge available on the Net and a keen interest to know what is going on in the atmosphere to create the weather we see day-to-day. Nick quite regularly contributes technical analysis to the convective threads on Netweather and also other threads in the seasonal discussions, Blogs and learning areas. Being Senior Forecaster for NW, he is involved with Alerts and short-range forecasts that are produced freely on N-W, along with providing forecasts and educational material on the forum. Hobbies include cycling, walking and photography.

"This will be my third time out to the US on a Storm Chase for NetWeather, last year we had a very successful chase with Michael Fish accompanying us for the first 10 days and also experiencing close up the power and damage caused by tornadoes, RFD winds and hail. I now have, to date, 47 days in total of storm chasing experience in the US. After experiencing 37 days last year between late April and early June in ‘tornado alley’ – including a close escape from an F2 tornado in Nebraska along with seeing other tornadoes and experiencing baseball size hail for the first time, I cannot wait to go back out to experience these storms again. I also look forward to sharing these experiences with our fellow travellers and hope to give a good background to what's going on behind the scenes in the atmosphere to create the set-up for these powerful storms to develop and produce the severe weather that they are notorious for over parts of the US each Spring.

I will be responsible, with Paul Sherman too, for forecasting the best place to target as a start place for a storm chase to begin each day. This will involve consulting the latest data and forecasts at the end of each day and the following morning in case things change overnight. On the road, I will be operating the Barons System - which relays data via satellite receiver in the car to a laptop to give us up-to-date information on our position in relation to the storms we are chasing, along with consulting GRLevel3 data via mobile internet – to ensure we are in the best and safest position to enjoy the storms and perhaps see a tornado. Although this year I will not be there for the first two chases, I will be online as much as possible to provide support for the teams with advice and updates on the latest data. I will be out on the 19th May to help Paul run the last storm chase tour.

Aside from the chasing, I look forward to the company and the laughs we have, seeing some scenery and also the odd obligatory steak meal washed down by a few beers in some of the best steakhouses in the world."

TOM LYNCH - DRIVER & BARONS OPERATOR TOURS 1 & 2

Tom Lynch is 56 years old and was born in Manchester. I work as a Repairs Operations Manager for a Housing company in the Lake District. I first really became interested in severe weather whilst living in Arkansas, where I saw my first tornado. I have chased every year for the last 8 years, missing only the year my daughter got married. I did try to go but my wife pinched my passport, she said it was my only daughter and I had to be there for her wedding. Over the years I have chased with a variety of chasers building up experience of chasing and of the plains. I spent a couple of weeks chasing last year with Dave Ewoldt & the Netweather team. I feel this year could be a very productive year.

IAN CAMERON - GPS OPERATIVE TOURS 1 & 2

Hi all my name is Ian cameron and I am 30 years old. I am currently a civil servent in Central London.

My main hobbies are traveling the world when I can!, sport all types, cooking, going to the theatre, reading, oh and severe weather.

This will be my third year in the plains with Paul and I am on the first 2 tours, if we can get anything like what we experienced last year I will be one very happy man indeed. You know theres nothing better than supping on a cold beer and eating some pizza after a really good chase day watching a lightning show from a squal line into the evening then planning to do it all again the next day so will see you all out there or online.

JOHN HANRAHAN - DRIVER & TECHNICAL WIZARD TOUR 1

John is a 30 year old I.T manager originally from Johnstown in Co. Kilkenny now living in Midleton Co. Cork.

I have been hooked on severe weather, lightning in particular from a very early age. My earliest memory of severe weather was a squall line of thunder storms that hit July of 1985 when I was just 7 years old. Most of the island of Ireland was hit and I have been hooked ever since.

This will be my second year back on the plains with Paul and the team. Last year was the trip of a lifetime for me and I’ve pretty much been looking forward to nothing else other than getting back out there all year, it’s just a real pity that we Stewart Squires couldn’t make it out this year. It won’t be the same without you mate, but I’ll do my best to drink your share of the beer. I’ll leave the sambuca to Ian.

Looking forward to the best weather and steak on the planet!

TAMMY EMERY (Aunt Sally) - TOUR 1

"Hi, I am Tammy and I am 33 years old and work as a Commissioning Officer at a local Borough Council within Adult and Community Services.

I am married and have a cat called Bertie! I enjoy hill walking, swimming and trying to learn about the weather. I also like a glass of good red wine!

What I hope to get from the trip is to see a Tornado (its not too much to ask!!), its something I have always wanted to see for a long time. I love severe storms and this for me is a trip of a lifetime, and something I never thought I would be able to do. I am also looking forward to learning about weather systems and forecasting from people who have a far greater knowledge than I do, so I can come back having learned something! I have also never been to America so that is a first for me as well.

My family, friends and work colleagues think I am mad doing this, but I can't think of a better way to spend two weeks of my life! Thank you Netweather for giving me this opportunity"

PAT CARTER (dogs32) - TOURS 1 & 2

Hi I am 42 years old, I am a Qualified Music Teacher with the London College of Music of guitar,Bass,Piano and song writing,

I am now learning the Drums at present. I recently got married to my partner after 18 years (Sue) We live on the outskirts

of Cheltenham Hatherley area of town. My hobbies are mainly music , Storms and Photography. But I do love plants and flowers and Astronomy.

Why am I doing this? Every year Sue and I travel accross Greece,Spain,South France chasing ThunderStorms to video

This obsession started since my father sat me down on a window ledge at 5 years of age(1972) to watch a thunderstorm ever since then I have been hooked.

Through the 80s and 90s I would listen out for the Sferics on the radio in the summer months for any storms.

I have collected sooooo many video tapes over the years of Lightning and Tornado chasers but I never thought of going because of the financial side. I am obsessed with Storms and to see a Tornado is one of my lifes dreams...

Even if I dont see one I will enjoy myself with the scenery and the company..

This will be my 4th time to the States...but this is going to be the craziest thing Ive done yet..

And the best

DANIEL WATSON (wiganweather.com) - TOUR 1

Daniel Watson Age 27 from Wigan Lancashire UK. I went to Wigan & Leigh College got an NVQ Level 3 in IT. Most of my previous jobs have been working in warehouses; I am unemployed at the moment. My hobbies are golf weather travel cycling keep fit football rugby league tv and computers. I also setup www.wiganweather.com .

I have always been interested in weather and going on a Storm Chasing Tour is something I have wanted to do since the age of 16. I will look forward to meeting people who share the interests and hope we see some interesting weather supercells tornadoes.

AINE (Pale Blue Sky) - TOUR 2

"I'm 31, still living in Northampton, still working in local government, still interested in reading and writing fantasy and sci-fi, music, walking and the weather.

I went to the US with Paul and the gang on the 2007 chase, and had a whale of a time. My love of storms is undiminished, so here I go again! What do I want from this tour? More of the same, or better, please! "

STEWART (Audmun) - TOUR 2

This is my second chase with Net Weather having last been out in 2007. I am 31 years old and work as a Manager in a warehouse. There is a distinct lack of knowledge when it comes to understanding how and why things are happening. I will continue to work on this whilst watching Tour 1 and learning from the other members of the team. Living in Northampton means that the last storm of any mention that I experienced was during the last chase Stateside 2 years ago so looking forward to this a lot.

Desperately hoping the memories of '07 are not going to give me false expectations but so looking forward to this. Oh, also going for the steaks and to watch someone (gotta be Ian) taking the 72oz challenge!!

ROBERT DAVIDSON (bob slay) - TOUR 2

Name Robert Davidson (Bob)

Age 53

Married

4 kids 2 girls 2 boys

Worked in the oil industry for the past 35years presently working for Total E&P Norge as Senior Drilling Supervisor on the rig West Phoenix positioned 66degs North in the Southern Norwegian sea. (Polar low country)

Hobbies include Golf,gardening,cooking, fell walking in Norway and of course a life long obsession with the weather.

Been looking forward to this trip for the past 3 years unfortunately working schedules have been wrong until now so can't wait.

Looking forward to spending some time with good company of like minded people seeking the ultimate rush of seeing some of the most powerful natural phenomena in the world.

Plus I'm really looking forward to a Texan T Bone.

Anything else you need to know just shout.

Very much looking forward to hooking up with all this years chase team in Dallas on the 8th May.

ROSS B - TOUR 2

I am Ross Bland, 21 years old from Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire. I’m currently a Financial Maths student at Glasgow Caledonian University, although only for another few weeks! I’m sneaking off between coursework and my final exams to go storm chasing!

From a young age I have been interested in weather, especially severe weather. Storms and snow are what has got me interested (obsessed) with the weather. Being myself, that interest alone is not enough for me. I need to take it further! For snow I try to go mountaineering when I have time, blizzards and whiteout conditions on the tops of the munro’s are about as severe as you can get in this country. For storms I have to travel slightly further, the Scottish storms don’t quite cut it compared to the USA supercells! Both of these hobbies lead to my other hobby which is Photography - expect lots of pictures & video from me when I get back.

I have been trying to go storm chasing in the states for many years. Every year, something has stopped me – usually exams. Not this year!

My brother Gordon is also on the tour in case anyone thinks he is my dad by the way

GORDON BLAND - TOUR 2

I am Gordon Bland (not Ross' dad as he correctly points out) - from Kilmarnock, but now living in Edinburgh. I'm 29, and work for an accountancy firm.

Really looking forward to the trip, and it's promising to see the team out there just now having some success. Like most of us, I'm sure, I find the weather consistently fascinating, and usually enjoyable at the same time. Will be great to experience the power and beauty at such close proximity. Also looking forward to seeing a part of the USA I'd be unlikely to travel to otherwise.

Otherwise, I like sports (football in particular), outdoor activities (mountain-biking, hiking), travel, music - the usual stuff.

I also like steak and beer, so can't really fail to have a good time.

See you there.

MARK PRITCHARD (MCT) - TOUR 3

I am Mark Pritchard, 21 years old and from Stanley, County Durham. I work in sales administration for a food company in Consett.

I have always had an interest in severe weather but when I joined Netweather, it became more of an addiction! I used to be scared of thunderstorms when I was younger, i'm not sure what changed but now i'm going to chase the biggest storms on Earth!

Since the first Netweather chase, i've always thought I would go one day, but didn't think it would be for many years yet. One night I just decided to go for it and booked up the next day.

It'll be a lot of firsts for me, my only time abroad was a school coach trip to France, and i've never been on a plane, so even without storms it will be an amazing experience.

Photography is my other hobby so i'm looking forward to hopefully taking some amazing photos of lightning, storms and cloud structures, and if we're lucky, a tornado.

I'm also looking forward to learning from the experts, and i'm not ruling out going again in future, I guess it could be addicting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there we have it guys, please feel free to wish everyone on the tour the best of luck with a reply in this thread over the next 3 weeks, heres to a great 2009 Netweather Storm Chase!

Regards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I went last year with you good guys and what a blast! Paul Sherman, Nick Finnis are the best chasers out there, along with Ian Cameron it was so good to be with you guys...Im very sorry I cant be out with you this year, Im not jealous at all[ of course im telling lies!] Its a great passion of mine to see severe weather[ whatever form really!] but to see those extremely powerful storms really puts lifes problems in perspective.! All I can say is stay safe, I hope you see some amazing storms.[im sure you will! :D ] Im just praying for a great British Thunderstorm so we can compare photos etc!! :D Ok I will dream about that instead! :lol:

Take care all and have a "damn" good ride and looking forward to hearing your reports!

Best Wishes IAN [ANYWEATHER] :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms
Don't foget to watch the Liver Streaming this year as well!!

Good luck all - maybe next year - it's something I've always wanted to do - bit worried about the LIVER streaming Paul. :D

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

wishin you all a very successful chase in what i hope is a productive season, Huh, i should have been out with you this year but unfortunate circumstances put a stop to that.!! Anyways i'll be in the 'control centre' as usual with plenty of coffee and matchsticks.. :lol:

Oh and stay safe.. Keep a look out for Reed Trimmers (Tornado videos) new chase vehicle cant miss it 'Lipstick red' they call it The Dominator a chase vehicle to get-up close...

Fancy one of those next year Paul?... :D

Posted

Thank you guys and Candice I have corrected my Internal Function post :lol:

NL, It really is going to be a Circus out there this year, what with the New Ferrari, and TIV 1 & 2 :D

Cant wait!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I read it as Liver Screaming, and just thought you were talking about one of those late nights after finally finding a non-dry county in the middle of Texas Hill Country where alcohol sales aren't outlawed :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Will any of you be tweeting during the chases?

Posted
Oh I do hope so! *hugs twitter* storm chasing and twitter that would make my life complete at the moment!

Posted

Will find out for you from Paul (I know he is a Twitterer) Maybe we can relay something onto him or Update him and he can Tweet you all! :)

Thanks for the the Best Wishes we have received so far - Really not long now and the 10 days until Departure should fly by. I know the guys taking part are really looking forward to this and are very Excited!

Thanks again!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9
Will find out for you from Paul (I know he is a Twitterer) Maybe we can relay something onto him or Update him and he can Tweet you all! :good:

Thanks for the the Best Wishes we have received so far - Really not long now and the 10 days until Departure should fly by. I know the guys taking part are really looking forward to this and are very Excited!

Thanks again!

Paul S

More than looking forward to it Paul. Each trip out to the plains is better than the last one.

I also think that we start a top ten of places to eat whilst out on the plains. Just to get peoples mouths watering. Although whilst on the chase one will have to happy with what one can get. I remeber grabbing a chicken roll in a gas station in Wyoming and it was frozen in the middle. I was busy with the chase and left it on the seat where my wife was sitting, that cured it. Another year in Kearney Nebraska ( a place I am sure you will remember) Steve and Pete went to buy a Subway and as a joke they put every thing in the shop that was hot (except for the waitress) on it i.e chilli peppers, mustard, but I love hot food the hotter the better , it was fantastic.

Boy i am so ready to roll.

Tom

Posted

Just over a week to go now and finalising everything before we head out to Dallas Fort Worth.

Barons is ready and paid for - Just needs activating when we get there

Verizon is Ordered and Will be delivered to our Hotel on Arrival

1st Nights Hotel Rooms are Booked just South East of Dallas Fort Worth Airport

Car Hire is all Sorted - Ready to pick up the 2 Beasts on Sunday 26th Afternoon.

All equipment has been checked and double Checked.

Weather on arrival looks likely at the moment to be around 27c 81f

Paul S

Posted

I am really new to the forum but I am so looking forward to all your reports. Hope it is a successful trip, have a great time.

Posted

Good luck guys (and gal!)

And remember your P's and Q's this time. :) I heard those choice words last year on one of the vids that was posted on YouTube when that post got a smack of raw electricity. :)

That said, I'd have probably said the same given the close proximity! :)

No wonder you weren't approached by the likes of Channel 4 or Discovery to make a documentary of it. :)

Have fun but primarily... STAY SAFE!!

Look forward to your forthcoming reports. :)

Phil.

Posted

Not long to go now, good luck to everyone on Tour 1. I hope you bag some nado's - but not so many there aren't any left for Tour 2!

If anybody needs anything brought over who is staying for tour 2 then let me know and i'll try my best :lol:

Posted

Thanks Ross

It is Looking Very Favourable with a Mobile Pattern but we will Save Some Nado's For you and Tour 2.................Promise

What we will do is Set Up a Model Outlook for Tour 2 As well, pretty Sure Nick F will help with this if we are too busy Chasing, but would be good to see what the Models are Showing for Chase Day 1 (9TH May) in around 5-6 Days Time!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I'm happy to help with a models for chase 2 thread as that is the same time frame I am over chasing. The T384 charts are already starting to show the day we land :lol:

Posted

Good luck to everyone heading out to chase in the forthcoming weeks, hope you all have a trip of a life time (i know i would) , will enjoy keeping up to date how you are getting on and checking out the live streams .

Lets hope you get some monster tstorms and supercells!.

Stay safe guys.

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Tom said it quite nicely.....Have a great chase to Paul S and the team...looking forward to your reports and the live streams... :doh: