Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North Sea Low Cloud

Posted

yes as Neil points out; parts of Kent, along with the N Isles and, looking at the Dundee visual blow up then perhaps also parts of East Yorks, Humberside and maybe part of the Norfolk coast.

looking at the weather reports on Wx Online that seems to be confirmed with both Bridlington and Leconfield reporting Oovercast/broken along with the north Norfolk coast and parts of the Wash area (at 1400-1430 BST)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

http://www.sat24.com/RegionAnim.aspx?count...s&type=loop

Deeper cloud also coming out of holland towards se :)

Posted

That satellite image takes the biscuit. The whole country almost under clear skies and here its still cloudy with just bright spells. To add insult to injury I can see the clear sky to the west aswell.

Posted

Oh dear :o

That's what we've had all week 9ºC and cloud/haar.... - happy to share it around! :)

Posted
Oh dear :)

That's what we've had all week 9ºC and cloud/haar.... - happy to share it around! :D

I'm so glad i dont live in Edinburgh anymore for this reason, it happens at the same time every year :)

Nice and warm over here at 17c :o

Posted
Oh dear :)

That's what we've had all week 9ºC and cloud/haar.... - happy to share it around! :o

So have we, 9 days of cloud, fog and cool temperatures. I think we've had our fair share :D

Posted

lol we should start a support group Reef. It's haaard to stomach :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Had some very early morning North Sea cloud which eventually broke up by 9am to give what has been a very pleasent day.

Although the breeze was a little chilly first thing, temperature's warmed up nicely by mid-afternoon climbing into the mid-teens.

Seasons

Edited by Seasons

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Thankfully the last few days it's broken up but when you get it all day every day it's very depressing.

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

hopefully none of this next week, im very prone to north sea misty low cloud here, winds look E/NE, known it take until 2pm to burn off,

although got none end of may into early june

Posted

watch the visual sat piccs, look at the actual and predicted dewpoint values and sea temperatures, also the 900mb or, more probably, with high surface pressure the 1015mb winds on actual skew-t and predicted ones; the isobars on the Met O Fax charts are also a good guide about where the low level air is tracking from.

All will help to give a reasonable idea, perhaps 24 hours out of yes/no, further out then its obviously less certain but use the same suggestions I've made above.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
lol we should start a support group Reef. It's haaard to stomach :lol:

Haar haar! :lol:

I'll get me coat! :lol:

Posted
hopefully none of this next week, im very prone to north sea misty low cloud here, winds look E/NE, known it take until 2pm to burn off,

although got none end of may into early june

Really? I wouldn't have thought you would be that far inland. It's very unusual for us to get any in these parts and I'm further east than you are in Stafford I think!

Posted
Really? I wouldn't have thought you would be that far inland. It's very unusual for us to get any in these parts and I'm further east than you are in Stafford I think!

I get it very often too, and I'm west of Stafford. It quite often gets as far west as Mid-Wales. The difference in Manchester is the Pennines/Peak District immediately to the east of it block and break up the low cloud; several times I've crossed the M62 and gone from cold cloud in Leeds to sun in Manchester; south of about Crewe the cloud reappears as you reach the southern end of the Pennines. Basically there's a huge "mist highway" right across the Midlands caused by the lack of any high ground between here and the North Sea.

Posted

Staffordshire blighted by North Sea haar?! :lol: You should try living 3 miles away when another 2 miles further west at the airport it's sunny and 15ºC warmer....

Posted

unless its a flow from south of east you are protected to a large extent by the bottom of the Pennines, Staffs seems not to be.

Posted

True, I live just to the east of Manchester (Denton) and we're almost completely sheltered here by the Pennines directly to the east and there are also hills to the South East in the Peak District. It is noticeable crossing the Pennines in an easterly- Leeds seems to be affected far more severely by that low cloud than we do in these parts.

Posted

so it should its on the eastern slopes Manchester is on the western slopes

Posted

yes but perhaps not to some so as well you mentioned it

Posted
I get it very often too, and I'm west of Stafford. It quite often gets as far west as Mid-Wales. The difference in Manchester is the Pennines/Peak District immediately to the east of it block and break up the low cloud; several times I've crossed the M62 and gone from cold cloud in Leeds to sun in Manchester; south of about Crewe the cloud reappears as you reach the southern end of the Pennines. Basically there's a huge "mist highway" right across the Midlands caused by the lack of any high ground between here and the North Sea.

I`ve often wondered about this myself,as there are no hills higher than here as you head further east infact pretty no-existent after,and yes the low cloud does come from the north sea this far mainly winter.

Now I`m looking for an east wind to clear this low cloud and drizzle currently :D which is coming from the NW.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Looks like it will move in tommorow night and spoil the weather for quite some time if the 12z is correct >.<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't think it will get anywhere near as far inland as Shropshire. Low cloud hugging the east coasts of Scotland, NE England, and possibly as far south as Lincolnshire and East Anglia for a time, I think. Thursday onwards still looks a likely bet for this.

Posted

Haar! Down to 100m visibility here now - it's rolled in off the sea in the last 30mins :closedeyes:

Soooooo nice and cool!

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Can confirm rolled in here about 1 hour ago.... 5 min from Carnoustie beach.