Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North Sea Low Cloud

Posted

The nights are drawing-in GSL :lol:

Crystal clear here this evening - not a hint of the haar we had from 8pm last night until midday today.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

When the low cloud came in last night and winds still coming in from the east i thought today

would be really dull and gloomy but surprise, surprise the cloud broke up early and the sun has

been unbroken for most of the day. Temperatures have somewhat struggled but eventually it

got up to a staggering 19.1°C... :mellow: .. not bad really considering the easterly breeze is coming off

a relatively chilly north sea....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

got my usual north sea misty low cloud, relief in a way keeps it cooler, very prone to it here, min temp 17.1oC now 18.4C and sticky even with the sea mist

Posted
I'm beginning to wonder if we will ever see a sunny day again here! :help:

Should be much brighter on Tuesday perhaps even this afternoon.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
think i'm begining to suffer from SAD :help:

Been working in Cumbria this weekend fairly sunny and warm that side of the Pennines. Saturday had the greatest difference in the evening in Penrith it must have been in low 20C's in humid sunny condtions back home it was 12.9C with thick fog and drizzle.

The difference is very stark just on the pennine ridge, unlike in a westerly the differences occur more gradually over the Pennines.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted

Morning all

For the forth night running we have extensive sea fog, so dense its down to under 50mtrs at dusk till dawn and beyond on somedays, not clearing at all or clearing into grey cloud. However yesterday afternoon it did clear for a few hours leaving a wonderful blue cloudless sky and pretty hot, but by about 7pm it was back with a vengence.

so that is the down side of a high sat over scandi, id like to see a traditinal azores high for a change this hot grey foggy stuff just aint summer.

LO

Posted

I can understand your feelings; well inland here and each morning from Saturday its been dull and grey here. Saturday it cleared late afternoon briefly, Sunday it cleared by lunch time to hot sunshine. Today we are starting in the same way, dull and grey-fog at the airport 3 miles from here-about 2000m here I would estimate-fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I feel for you guys on the east coast. Whereas we have not had wall to wall sunshine here in Brighton, the sun has never been too far away. With the temps into the twenties even when it is cloudy it has felt very pleasant. We haven't even seen any of the showers though they look spectacular as you see them form to the north. I find it difficult to believe that you are under the same weather system, but your experience of it couldn't be more different!

Posted

yes the differences from one part of the country to another is quite large. Indeed its not uncommon for it to be different from one side of one country to another. Much as you have just described ch; local topograpgy does play an important part, sea, valley, hill etc, fascinating really.

also as per a post in another thread about why the storms occurred 27th in one place and not another

minor local weather can and does make a difference

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Well i've certainly been lucky this morning because just 30miles N of me is where the wall of cloud begins and yet I have clear blue skies.

Seems to be gradually shrinking N and I reckon places like Nottinghamshire should be seeing plenty of sunshine in the next few hrs but im doubtful it will fully clear further N.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Certainly not clearing up here so far today. Mist, low cloud and a fine drizzle coming in off the North Sea in a light ESE breeze. Temps pegged back at 14C. :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Aye, I know the feeling all too well. Mid-April had one such spell on the Tyne & Wear coast- fortunately I was up only for the Easter weekend, which was mostly dry and sunny there, but the week after Easter had five consecutive foggy mornings and no sun at all. But the most stark recent instance was probably 1-12 June 2007, which also had five foggy mornings, and most of the others had "misty low cloud".

The worst part is when the rest of the country is at risk of thunderstorms during such a spell, and I get people (mainly elderly relatives) coming up to me and commenting on how I'm very lucky to be escaping with the best of the weather, because although it's dull, damp and several degrees cooler than everywhere else, at least there won't be any thunderstorms. Yes, they're entitled to their views, but from my perspective that really does take the biscuit (it would be the equivalent of me going to my granny, who hates snow, and telling her how lucky we were to get an 8cm dumping).

I do think this low cloud will start to retreat as we head through the week because the winds are set to turn southerly. By midweek most east-coast areas will probably have brightened up.

Posted

Let's hope so Ian - I haven't seen blue sky since Thursday afternoon. Drizzle, fog and day/night temps varying hugely at 15 or 16ºC :)

A new fashion phenomenon has emerged over the weekend for the ladies - it's called 'haar hair' - all frizzy and damp. Great excuse to stay in - 'I can't come out to the pub tonight becuase I've got haar hair'!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

One has to feel sorry for the residents (probably seals!) on the bombing range at Donna Nook. The temp hasn't risen over 14.2C all day.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/...st_weather.html

Posted

and I'm afraid its going to return for many inland later this evening and overnight, the low cloud-mist I mean

must have mucked up a few planned sorties from the RAF training side as well-hope the relevant forecaster predicted it!

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Have a feeling this will return for fri sat and sun to the prone W midlands, usually only have misty low cloud from march-june, could be miserable and very chilly on friday morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ah yes the dreaded low cloud - certainly not missed it these last few months! We're most prone to it during winter, spring and early summer - the more westerly influence during mid-late summer & autumn usually keeping it away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

You can just about see it's progress on the IR satellite image: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Coming in from the north east - not sure how far inland it'll get - probably covering all eastern areas and many central areas too.

Posted

You can just about see it's progress on the IR satellite image: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Coming in from the north east - not sure how far inland it'll get - probably covering all eastern areas and many central areas too.

Yep, its just arrived here. Fortunately its quite well-broken though, I can still see quite a few stars and the moon. If it remains that way the sun may well get to work on it tomorrow.

Its a great shame after the last 4 clear days we've had. The warm days / cool nights combination is lovely at this time of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The advance guard of this cloud is visible as a line of stratus about 10 miles east of me at present. There is a gap of clear sky behind it though and the sun is shining through it.

Edit; Although as I type the sun is rising faster than the cloud is moving and is gradually disappearing behind it.

The cloud following this front runner appears to be about 40 miles away at least.