Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April 1981

damianslaw

Posted

Having read someones post today in the best snow discussion, I was wondering whether anyone had any more information about the events of 24-26 April 1981 which do seem quite exceptional. The snow amounts were huge and also the severity of the cold and also the persistance of the cold.

It must go down as one of the most notable out of season snowfalls of the 20th century.

Posted

The first half of the month was actually very warm with a mean CET temperature of 9.3c, 2c-3c above normal (warmest until 2007 which came in at 10.1c) Second half was the coldest of the 20th century with an average of 6.2c 2c-3c below normal, so actual mean temperature for the month was fractionally above or below, depending on location.

Northerly winds which turned easterly between 23rd-28th brought heavy wet snow and very low night time minima and some low maxima. Most of the heavy snow fell over higher ground with 20-70cm in some places like the peak district. The snake pass in Derbyshire was closed because of a risk of an avalanche.

Second half was over 3c colder then the first half.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i think the most remarkable thing about april 1981 was how widespread the event was for being so late in the year..

its exactly right about 1st half of april being warm i remember being on a school trip to germany in the first half and walking around in tshirts in lovely sunny warm weather..only to be replaced first by shirts then jumpers then back to the good old snorkel parker :good:

Posted
The first half of the month was actually very warm with a mean CET temperature of 9.3c, 2c-3c above normal (warmest until 2007 which came in at 10.1c) Second half was the coldest of the 20th century with an average of 6.2c 2c-3c below normal, so actual mean temperature for the month was fractionally above or below, depending on location.

Northerly winds which turned easterly between 23rd-28th brought heavy wet snow and very low night time minima and some low maxima. Most of the heavy snow fell over higher ground with 20-70cm in some places like the peak district. The snake pass in Derbyshire was closed because of a risk of an avalanche.

What a remarkable month and a classic switcharound month, as I said must have been some real cold uppers from the NE to maintain such a cold CET relative to the time of year.. it seems often the case that when you have one extreme in weather i.e. a long southerly draw this can often be quickly replaced by a bitter northerly draw during spring... looks like this happened in April 1981.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I wonder if that is the biggest cool down between the 1st and 2nd C.E.T halves in April on recored? :D

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
I wonder if that is the biggest cool down between the 1st and 2nd C.E.T halves in April on recored? :D

First half of April 1884 CET: 8.8

Second half of April 1884 CET: 5.6

The second half of April 1884 was colder than either half of January 1884.

-5.6C was recorded at Bedford on the 23rd of that month