Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ws2350 Cable Extending

Hello, I've just got a new WS2350 weather station, I've had a basic indoor/outdoor temp,humidity and pressure one for years but decided an upgrade to a more usefull device was needed.

I set up the sensors in the garden to test and all was well for three days, yesterday I moved everything to its permanent position, which meant adding 5m to the length of the wind sensor cable to get it up on a pole above the chimney. Since doing this I get an intermittent 'OFL' message on the windspeed(I'm assuming thats short for offline).

Is this common when extending the cable length? If so I'm wondering if removing the plug from the original and the socket from the extension and directly soldering the two would solve the problem or if it would be better to retrieve the sensor and replace all the cable with a single length of 'better quality' cable such as network cable. Obviously the first option is a hell of a lot easier as it doesn't involve clambering up the roof.

If anyone has experienced similar problems or can offer advice,that would be great.

Thanks Johnny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I extended my cable to 15M's. You can get the cable already made up from any computer shop.

I get the OFL symbol fairly often, I don't think it's anything to do with the extra length in the cable, as I had it running with the standard 10m cable for a couple of weeks, and head the OFL come up a few times.

I also get the min max wind speed setting on heavy weather default to 0.0mph min 57mph max every now and then which is annoying.

Posted

Hi Johny

I had tried 40 meters simple telephone cable from console to sensor and all it is ok, and 10 + 10 meters from anemometer to sensor and to it is ok without OFL .

http://i34.servimg.com/u/f34/11/22/64/62/test10.jpg

OFL it is mean no strong signal,but at your area maybe you have interferences.

I reccomend you to replace the simple telephone cable from console to out remote sensor with shield cable cat 5 FTP

And the anemometer to out sensor the same with shield cable

http://www.geocities.com/meteoperisteri/anemometercable