Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 'no Storms Club' 2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Want BIG storms, come to the Midlands, we even get quite a few Tornadoes

Let's make this an ASDA/Tesco advert war lol!

Come to the SE, as our storms rock, more so our imports from the continent! In the UK, you can't beat a Spanish Plume storm IMO!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well, you can probably guess where I'd advertise for.... Naaarch of course! In August 2008 for instance, most of the country had a very dull wet month with not many storms, but at UEA I heard thunder on 6 days. Most of the storms were homegrown and started off as showers over the west of East Anglia and intensified as they headed towards central and eastern Norfolk- the same process led to 3 thunder-days in the showery spell of early April 2008. There were also a few good continental imports there last year as well, with a particularly notable one in late May, and one in early August. That said, you can't beat a good continental thunderstorm.

Posted

I think it all depends on how many plumes we get. The SE can get pummelled by many storms in one plume event - last month being a prime example. Both storms I've witnessed in 2009 came on two consecutive days from the same plume event. However, later in the month when we had the home grown storms, the SE was hardly touched whereas the Midlands in comparison got pummelled.

If the long range forecast is to be believed, and we are in for a 'hot summer', I will presume that we are likely therefore to get more plume events and therefore, I will stick my neck out and say the SE will get more than the Midlands.

Having said that, it will probably be a dry summer and the likes of NW Scotland will win, lol

Posted

Sunday now looking better for storms in Northern England, but still to early to get excited it could all be downgraded to nothing as usual :)

Posted
Having said that, it will probably be a dry summer and the likes of NW Scotland will win, lol

3 years ago today was my last thunderstorm. :) We had better win this year.

Posted

hi dogs32 here....going to put myself in here at present as I havent seen any lightning for 2 days....Im now having withdrawels

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
hi dogs32 here....going to put myself in here at present as I havent seen any lightning for 2 days....Im now having withdrawels

Hey you!! dogs, Lol

You've had your fair share so far lol.Wait until you get back to the UK then you'll see the difference grrrrr lol :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

This weekend looks like nothing again for here now. Oh well. :D

GFS has done its favourite thing of downgrading everything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
This weekend looks like nothing again for here now. Oh well. :D

GFS has done its favourite thing of downgrading everything.

:D I thought that would happen :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Want BIG storms, come to the Midlands, we even get quite a few Tornadoes :D

where??...nor around here mate...I've lived here since may 2007, and to date its been utter crud up here for storms so far!.......Saw a nice storm down near Kingsbridge, Devon last week, whilst on holiday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
where??...nor around here mate...I've lived here since may 2007, and to date its been utter crud up here for storms so far!.......Saw a nice storm down near Kingsbridge, Devon last week, whilst on holiday

Weve had 2 already!

April 15th i think it was gave us spectacular, pink cg lightning!!!

Posted
well i hane none

You will get yours eventually. You must have missed those storms in Scotland now long back by a very small distance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Somewhere south of Brum, in warwickshire is a good spot....Home growns tend to develop over oxon and herts and drift NNW towards the Midlands, peaking south of Brum....I tend to find that home growns tend to weaken as they move northwards into staffs/derbyshire, or they drift' into shropshire, whether this is due to local topography or not I havent a clue, but I would have though that the Brum conurbation would cause a 'heat island effect giving storms extra 'oooomf'...instead they seem to weaken when in my area (20 miles NNW of birmingham)

Posted

Reading this thread, i can't believe that i have acutally seen more storms than some members who have posted in this thread. My sympathies too those who rarely see a thunderstorm, however if you like too see storms, do not plan to move to Tyne & Wear, you will be dissapointed.

Posted

All cape now been removed for Northern England for sunday, didnt expect it to downgrade so soon typical!!! :D

Posted
All cape now been removed for Northern England for sunday, didnt expect it to downgrade so soon typical!!! :D

You'll soon learn that the models always have the best set ups for storms only for it to be downgraded nearer the time. Nothing changes from winter really, just be cautious when seeing good thundery set ups and you will not be dissapointed.

Posted
3 years ago today was my last thunderstorm. :D We had better win this year.

I remember that storm there was reports on the news about it, looked awesome. It was really warm that week and i expected to get a storm here that night as it clouded up but nothing as usual :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

No storms here yet this year, closest we got was a torrential downpour of hail the other day.

Posted
I remember that storm there was reports on the news about it, looked awesome. It was really warm that week and i expected to get a storm here that night as it clouded up but nothing as usual :D

Its really the only thunderstorm I can remember :D that is depressing. We never usualy get storms here every year, every three or four maybe and then a big one like that ever 20 years or so. My mothers been living in the area for like 50 years and she had never seen a storm like that before. Once in a life time for here, it wont happen again :D

Posted
Its really the only thunderstorm I can remember :D that is depressing. We never usualy get storms here every year, every three or four maybe and then a big one like that ever 20 years or so. My mothers been living in the area for like 50 years and she had never seen a storm like that before. Once in a life time for here, it wont happen again :D

well you might get another one soon. Storms used to be very frequent here in Blackpool according to my mother. I bet you get loads of snow in winter where you are.

Posted
well you might get another one soon. Storms used to be very frequent here in Blackpool according to my mother. I bet you get loads of snow in winter where you are.
Not really, we live about 20 foot from a salt forth and right on the west coast plus we're close to sea level.

Posted

Bit off topic for this thread but it appears that the storm risk for Sunday is back again on todays GFS 6z. I have a 60% risk for Sunday afternoon. Will be interesting to see if the 12z downgrades the storm risk again as it did yesterday.

Obviously still a long way off yet though.

I can't say I'm in the No Storms club though this year as we had a small storm on the morning of April 15th... so I'll get my coat. :D

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Hopefully i won't be a member in the 'no storms club' for too much longer :lol: