Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The First Edible Mushrooms Of The Season!

Yeti

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Well what a nice surprise - I went out to a few fields where I know them to have grown before, and what should I find but the first St. George's Mushrooms!

These are generally the first edible mushrooms of the season, unless you are lucky enough to find the elusive morel which can grow a bit earlier, but they always, always appear within about a week either side of St George's Day (hence their name). More than that, though, they are absolute top-notch mushrooms, up there with the chanterelles, with a delicious texture and flavour. Here is what I found today :drunk:

post-5260-1239990649_thumb.jpg

They were just beginning to pop up so I just picked the big ones - in 2 or 3 days' time the fields will literally be full. They grow often in huge rings, are white with a brown-shaded cap towards the middle, and have a very mealy smell (which disappears with cooking). The gills are white. Bear in mind that because of the time of year, these are some of the only mushrooms about, and I couldn't imagine being able to mix them up with anything nasty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calocybe_gambosa

They grow on unimproved grassland, and often you can see rings in the grass on the fields - brown in the middle and a green ring around this - have a look out because often you can keep your eye on such a spot and wait until mushrooms appear! And remember, don't tell anyone where you found them...

There is literally a feast near you - don't miss out! They will be gone in 2 weeks. PM me if you need more info on this or any other mushroom :lol:

Regards,

David

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Nice to find a fellow forager!

I have yet to find the elusive St George but you have inspired me to look this weekend.

Also in season this month (not mushrooms but good in a salad) Jack by the hedge

Jack%20by%20the%20hedge%20(garlic%20mustard).jpg

And Ransoms (wild Garlic)

1159176~Wild-Garlic-Ransoms-Flowers-with-Solitary-Bluebell-Wiltshire-UK-Posters.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I too came across wild garlic on a walk today, although not yet in flower, and a whole load of wood sorrell.

Posted

Wild Garlic indeed! It's just perfect at the minute. Try using it instead of basil in a pesto; very refreshing :)

And of course less than two months now until the arrival of the field mushroom, parasols and all the summer grassland species :)

Great to see some other pickers out there!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Well the St. George's Mushrooms are well and truly out now. Last week I found 2kg and today in the Dales, and completely by surprise, an immense amount!!! I have far too many, so if anyone lives nearby and wants a few then let me know :o

post-5260-1242060165_thumb.jpg