Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sensor Positioining

Posted

Joe has just got me a new little weather station, but I am having a problem with the outside temp sensor. The problem I have is the garden is south facing, and the only place that isn't in direct sunshine is the area between the brick out house and the kitchen, so I have put the sensor here and it seems to be reading a good 5 degrees hotter than it should, going on local school weather station and the weather channel as a bench mark. I am not sure if it’s in the wrong place or whether it is faulty. I had my old sensor in the same place before it died a death and it, and it seemed to read a pretty accurate reading.

I really not sure where else I can put it, the only other place I can think of is maybe in the alley way, but then that will be effected by northerly winds in the winter as the whoosh down there like a man on a motor bike.

So any help would be very much appreciated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
Joe has just got me a new little weather station, but I am having a problem with the outside temp sensor. The problem I have is the garden is south facing, and the only place that isn't in direct sunshine is the area between the brick out house and the kitchen, so I have put the sensor here and it seems to be reading a good 5 degrees hotter than it should, going on local school weather station and the weather channel as a bench mark. I am not sure if it’s in the wrong place or whether it is faulty. I had my old sensor in the same place before it died a death and it, and it seemed to read a pretty accurate reading.

I really not sure where else I can put it, the only other place I can think of is maybe in the alley way, but then that will be effected by northerly winds in the winter as the whoosh down there like a man on a motor bike.

So any help would be very much appreciated.

At first I thought this thread was about an oddly named Spaniard!! :)

I have the same issue in that my back garden faces south (well, more south west) and I have the sensor in the only place that never gets full sunshine - right in the corner - and it seems to get a fairly accurate reading.

If your garden is large enough why not knock together a Stevenson screen for the sensor. Unfortunately, although my garden is big enough, it is also the domain of Mrs A-M who does not share my passion of the weather and was less than accomodating when I suggested having a large white box in the middle of her lawn!!

Posted

Did you get this station from a Spanish site on E Bay?

Anywhere in the front garden that is free from direct sunlight Lou?

Posted
Are you drunk, Louby? :D

:) might be :p

and thank you Flaggypoo's for pointing out my mistake :):)

If your garden is large enough why not knock together a Stevenson screen for the sensor.

It was something that had crossed my mind, but my garden really isn't that big, and my lad like to kick a ball round and it would become a target for him :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
:) might be :D

and thank you Flaggypoo's for pointing out my mistake :):)

It was something that had crossed my mind, but my garden really isn't that big, and my lad like to kick a ball round and it would become a target for him :)

Shhhhh! It's POSITIONING! :p

Posted

Don't put it near bricks(difficult i know!), they warm up in the sunshine and let off heat when the sun goes down.

I would put it in the alley-way but again thats bricks probably? You could hide it on a plant/tree?

Posted

I have a tree, but its only a little plum tree in the middle of the garden, and as the windy doofer has to be connected to the sensor it's not really an option.

The only place I can think of putting it is on the fence post at the bottom of the garden, but again, likely to be bashed around by footballs.

and yes the alley is brick, but never gets any sun because the outhouses shade it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I have a South facing garden as well. When I set my station up I had no where to put my Temp Sensor. In the end I made a screen for it a placed it behind a young lilac bush near the conservatory.

Sice giving out daily weather reports, my Temp seems to be a little higher then the official stations are reporting. But short of turning my back garden around to face North, there is nowt I can do about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, I've had a lot of problems with this. My parents are quite accommodating but weren't too happy with the idea of having a big white box in the middle of the lawn. Thus I got a hand-made Stevenson Screen but positioned it by the fence at the back of the garden- resulting in slightly inflated readings (by up to 2C) on sunny days in the summer half-year, though I think my readings are very accurate at night and also by day during the winter half-year. If it isn't a big garden the "sun trap" issue won't be completely avoidable.

A Stevenson Screen needs to be double-louvred for accuracy as well- using just one set of louvres lets sunlight in and causes inflated readings regardless of the time of year.

Until two and a half years ago I was using unscreened thermometers. The best position is probably somewhere north-facing, away from the sun (any direct sunlight will cause a large positive anomaly), though if the thermometer is situated by a building you may get anomalously high readings on cold nights due to the heat from the building. An unscreened thermometer in the open on a cold night will conversely give anomalously low readings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The best idea would be to buy a mini screen from somewhere like Davis and house the sensor in that. You can fix the screen to a post and put it somewhere out of football range, preferably somewhere open and not near brick walls or a large wooden fence, both of which act like radiators in warm weather.

Once the sensor is in a mini screen it doesn't matter if it's in full sunshine or not, although if your garden is small and sheltered you will undoubtedly get higher readings in summer than if it were sited in an open field.

Impress upon your youngster that the football touches the screen on pain of being locked in the coal house for a week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Positioining? :yahoo::yahoo:

A simple case of simspleesing, that's all... :yahoo::yahoo:

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Bump!

Hello all. I have a la crosse 2300 with temp sensor wind and rain collection. I mounted it up on my chimney stack on the north facing side. however my temps are higher than they should be by 2-3 degrees even without any direct sun. I wonder if heat from the house is warming it up? I really dont know where else to put it as the cables start to be come an issue any ideas??

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
Bump!

Hello all. I have a la crosse 2300 with temp sensor wind and rain collection. I mounted it up on my chimney stack on the north facing side. however my temps are higher than they should be by 2-3 degrees even without any direct sun. I wonder if heat from the house is warming it up? I really dont know where else to put it as the cables start to be come an issue any ideas??

Hi Mike,

Yes almost certainly, heat will be retained in the brickwork, affecting your sensor. Yours is a difficult problem with the cable restricting positioning. But the only solution really, would be to put the sensor in a screen, positioned as far as possible from the brickwork of the house.

See TM’s post in this thread.

Paul

Edited by Polar Continental